Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New Code names for characters that you want to drop the current ones

So I was just thinking about people I’d like to have new code names. And I can’t think of any good codenames, so I’m crowdsourcing. The Bat and Super families are particularly full of these. But there's tons of people I've missed, so chime in with your own.

Kon - sure he was Superboy once, but he grows up and isn’t a boy anymore, and needs a new code name. Now I am not a legacy fan, and Clark isn’t ready to retire when Kon is 21, anyway, so he won’t be Superman. I’m looking for new codenames, not ones taken from another character. I’ve heard "Scion" batted around, but I dislike it (even though it is cool-sounding). He’s not an heir waiting to inherit something, but I like young heroes coming into their own and not having "offshoot" names. Plus, it has a youthful connotation to me that doesn’t work so well when he’s 40.

Tim Drake - Red Robin was horribly derivative, and Drake is his own last name (and I don’t care for Troia as a code name, either, BTW).

Barbara Gordon. She was Batgirl, but no more. I do like her becoming unparalyzed (I hated the story that did it, the double standard where male Bats were healed almost immediately from similar injuries, and I think she’d like it and I like my characters happy and also I think everything she did as Oracle she could continue doing if she so chose even if she wasn’t paralyzed - she doesn’t lose skill, you know). But I hated her going back to Batgirl. She should be in her very late 20s or much more likely her 30s (DC loves de-aging her), and too old for “girl” in her title and she needs to be outside Gotham’s periphery and not wearing Batman’s symbol on her chest to me. She can keep “Oracle” and I’m cool with that. But if she wanted to not draw lines between the kick-butt crimefighter and the cyber genius, she might pick a new name for the action half. Or just new phase of life, new code name, as happened before. So if she had a new one, anyone got any ideas?

Kara Zor-El - I wouldn’t really mind Superwoman, despite it being derivative, but others have already used it.

Cassie Sandsmark - Wonder Girl doesn’t work forever. When she’s not a kid anymore, she needs to pick a new name too.

Bart, thankfully, had Impulse. Good name that will work fine for an adult. Never should have made him Kid Flash. But what about Wallace? He needs a good name to grow up into.

Jon should still be too young for this to be an issue. But one day his and Damian’s day will come...well, maybe.

I guess the youngest generation might never grow up, given how slow comic book aging is, but then some of us thought that about the generation above them once.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 03-04-2021 at 04:38 PM.