Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default New Code names for characters that you want to drop the current ones

So I was just thinking about people I’d like to have new code names. And I can’t think of any good codenames, so I’m crowdsourcing. The Bat and Super families are particularly full of these. But there's tons of people I've missed, so chime in with your own.

Kon - sure he was Superboy once, but he grows up and isn’t a boy anymore, and needs a new code name. Now I am not a legacy fan, and Clark isn’t ready to retire when Kon is 21, anyway, so he won’t be Superman. I’m looking for new codenames, not ones taken from another character. I’ve heard "Scion" batted around, but I dislike it (even though it is cool-sounding). He’s not an heir waiting to inherit something, but I like young heroes coming into their own and not having "offshoot" names. Plus, it has a youthful connotation to me that doesn’t work so well when he’s 40.

Tim Drake - Red Robin was horribly derivative, and Drake is his own last name (and I don’t care for Troia as a code name, either, BTW).

Barbara Gordon. She was Batgirl, but no more. I do like her becoming unparalyzed (I hated the story that did it, the double standard where male Bats were healed almost immediately from similar injuries, and I think she’d like it and I like my characters happy and also I think everything she did as Oracle she could continue doing if she so chose even if she wasn’t paralyzed - she doesn’t lose skill, you know). But I hated her going back to Batgirl. She should be in her very late 20s or much more likely her 30s (DC loves de-aging her), and too old for “girl” in her title and she needs to be outside Gotham’s periphery and not wearing Batman’s symbol on her chest to me. She can keep “Oracle” and I’m cool with that. But if she wanted to not draw lines between the kick-butt crimefighter and the cyber genius, she might pick a new name for the action half. Or just new phase of life, new code name, as happened before. So if she had a new one, anyone got any ideas?

Kara Zor-El - I wouldn’t really mind Superwoman, despite it being derivative, but others have already used it.

Cassie Sandsmark - Wonder Girl doesn’t work forever. When she’s not a kid anymore, she needs to pick a new name too.

Bart, thankfully, had Impulse. Good name that will work fine for an adult. Never should have made him Kid Flash. But what about Wallace? He needs a good name to grow up into.

Jon should still be too young for this to be an issue. But one day his and Damian’s day will come...well, maybe.

I guess the youngest generation might never grow up, given how slow comic book aging is, but then some of us thought that about the generation above them once.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 03-04-2021 at 04:38 PM.

Wallace could be "the Blitz".

Kon could be "Supernova".

I was fond of "Rook" or "Cardinal" for Tim but I was also interested in him resurrecting an old mantle like the "Crimson Avenger" or "Sandman".

Cassie could be "Fury".

Originally Barbara was gonna return as "Batwoman" but that ship had sailed. "Flamebird" also would have worked so maybe try "Phoniex",?
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-04-2021 at 05:57 PM.

Cyndy Reynolds needs a new name, to avoid possible scandals. "Wanderer" could fit her.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post

Tim and Cass need new roles first.

Originally Barbara was gonna return as "Batwoman" but that ship had sailed. "Flamebird" also would have worked so maybe try "Phoniex",?
    I like that for Kon pretty well. Not entirely sure on Wallace, since I associate that with bombing, not speed, but it could work.

Flamebird for Barbara is probably a bad idea, since from a meta perspective, she's copying Bette again. I have definitely thought of Phoenix, but thought Marvel had that wrapped up.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I always thought Sentinel would work pretty well for Conner.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I like that for Kon pretty well. Not entirely sure on Wallace, since I associate that with bombing, not speed, but it could work.

Flamebird for Barbara is probably a bad idea, since from a meta perspective, she's copying Bette again. I have definitely thought of Phoenix, but thought Marvel had that wrapped up.
    Tim should be the new Flamebird.

I feel like Kimiyo Hoshi needs a new name after former goofball Dr. Light got all effed up thanks to the all the Identity Crisis grimdark nonsense. Call her something like Starshine or Radiance or Brilliance.

Donna Troy should either be called Troia or maybe the Amazing Amazon.Olympia.Wonderah.Victory.juat to name a few.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I like Troia but that's been associated when she's evil

I'm keeping Kon Superboy while Jon is Superson

Tim Drake... I need a story first. New names like Nightwing and Red Hood has significance to it due to events or back stories of their lives, Dick being pretty much the son of Batman and Superman, and Jason being ironic towards Joker and Batman. What's Tim's story? Forced to be relieved from Robin?

The Outsider

That's evil Alfred though

Barbara's just Oracle, that's enough. Fighting on the field, give her a new green costume.

As long as Kara's still a teen she can keep Supergirl. After that... is Earth-3 still using Superwoman? Other than that... Tomorrowoman? Nah that's hard. Sunwoman?

What is Cassie's thing? What her lariat does?
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 03-04-2021 at 11:50 PM.

Astonishing Member

I know "Batgirl" is snappy to describe a single character but if they're going the Batgirls route we can totally have like, "Spoiler Batgirl", "Oracle Batgirl" and "Orphan Batgirl", their alternate codenames becoming descriptions of which and what kind of Batgirl they are in the agency. I'm not sure how else to roll with it without it getting too cutesy. Spoilbat and Blackbat? Yadda.

The whole Young Justice Legacy line-up definitely. Donna definitely. I'm not actually all that fond of Roy or Garth's codenames either. Arsenal and Red Arrow are both weird and not that cool (the obvious choice was to call him Scarlet Something to fit the Robin Hood concept), and I always thought Tempest was a bit uninspired for Garth. Like ... MERA is a "Tempest". She's got the temper, the red hair, and the control of water, the dark undersea kingdom intrigue and training as a killer assassin, and is probably like DC's "Omega Level Mutant" that they don't realize is as powerful as all that. Garth ... the shy kid who grows up to be a cool under pressure utter hunk with Atlantean Magic? From the purple-eyed Idyllist Kingdom of Shayeris? He's more of a "Calm Ocean" iconography dude than a raging tempest. "Flow" or "Current" or something, you know?

Donna is a definite one but it's like ... EVERY character in Wonder Woman's crew that isn't the current "Wonder Girl" ends up just going by their name. Her mom is about to be on the JLA for the third time and is that roster's Wonder Woman ... but she'll probably go by just "Queen Hippolyta". Nubia isn't just the black Wonder Woman ... she's the Black Wonder Woman. But she'll probably just go by Nubia. Artemis was Wonder Woman, but she always just goes by Artemis. Diagetically in-universe isn't "Wonder Woman", like, the title of "The Wonder Woman", the only really important one the Amazons have? And it's almost always Diana she just trusts a few of her bad-ass sisters enough to be her substitute teacher. The concept of "Wonder Girl" is kind of a fluke but it's grandfathered in now. But if you do want to go that route and have the various Wonder Girls, who are friends with code-named identity-hiding super-hero types and do have people they'd rather protect by keeping the secret and having a cool hip name ... man I don't know what you'd do.

Pick from classic Wonder Woman iconography to be sure. Someone gets to brandish something with "Sensation" in it. Or because while they're all sisters, Donna is her "Sister" in the purest sense, a super-name with Sister in it? She rocks the stars ... Star Sister? Plays with her Amazon iconography and hints at the wacky "Titans" cosmic hijinx in space? Or Sister Sensation which is totally appropriate but also a terrible super-hero name. Or Snapshot because she's a photographer. I'm just writing trains of thought at this point.

Yes. Lots of characters have bad codenames and lots of them aren't easy fixes.

Tim's is though. Why he's not Redwing at this point is baffling.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Cyndy Reynolds needs a new name, to avoid possible scandals. "Wanderer" could fit her.
    She kept her codename Gypsy in the Flash TV series. If they didn't change it there, why would the comics change it?
    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post

I was fond of "Rook" or "Cardinal" for Tim but I was also interested in him resurrecting an old mantle like the "Crimson Avenger" or "Sandman".

Cassie could be "Fury".

Blitz is associated with the Nazis - it's the name of their bombings on the UK. No superhero should be called that. Crimson Avenger and Sandman are both taken. They can't use Phoenix, it's associated with Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    The whole Young Justice Legacy line-up definitely. Donna definitely. I'm not actually all that fond of Roy or Garth's codenames either. Arsenal and Red Arrow are both weird and not that cool (the obvious choice was to call him Scarlet Something to fit the Robin Hood concept), and I always thought Tempest was a bit uninspired for Garth. Like ... MERA is a "Tempest". She's got the temper, the red hair, and the control of water, the dark undersea kingdom intrigue and training as a killer assassin, and is probably like DC's "Omega Level Mutant" that they don't realize is as powerful as all that. Garth ... the shy kid who grows up to be a cool under pressure utter hunk with Atlantean Magic? From the purple-eyed Idyllist Kingdom of Shayeris? He's more of a "Calm Ocean" iconography dude than a raging tempest. "Flow" or "Current" or something, you know?

Tim's is though. Why he's not Redwing at this point is baffling.
    Because Redwing is the name of a Marvel character - Falcon's pet bird who he can telepathically communicate with.

If Mera had a codename, it would be Aquawoman. There's nothing wrong with the also hydrokinetic Garth being called Tempest.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Cool

Any black character with black in their code name needs a change (BL's an exception since it's long been justified by giving him literal black lightning):

Black Mass: Critical Mass
    Black Racer: Death Racer

Some of the Wonder Woman characters need their own code name. Especially since we have 2-3 Wonder Girl's. Donna can always graduate to Troia. Cassie Sandsmark can't be Wonder Girl forever, Yara needs something unique to reflect her singular status as the Amazon warrior from Brazil and I say Nubia and Hippolyta needs one as well. The latter can't just Diana's code name and even if they are primarily known by their real names, I think they need a code name for when they are out doing regular superhero stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Wanderlust?

Though that sounds more like a codename for a WW character.

I remember thinking 'Micron' could be a cool name for Ryan Choi to distinguish him from Ray Palmer.

I remember shortly after Flash: Rebirth, I came up with a different code name for Wally West. I can't remember what but it was a way to differentiate him from Barry.

I always liked the codename Sentinel for Connor but IIRC (could be wrong) Alan Scott has it back now.

Donna Troy pretty much does not need a codename as far as I know she does not have a secret identity she is pretty relaxed about not concealing her identity. She once goes by the name Troia but it has a different meaning in Italy. If she does have a codename maybe she can go by Asteria who was the Titan goddess of the stars.

Tim Drake could be Cardinal and Cassie could be Fury. I got used to Cassandra Cain's codename, Orphan, but I think Silhouette could be a nice name for her.

Since Wallace West is the only teenage speedster who goes by the name, Kid Flash, Avery can go by the name Celerity or Trajectory. Irey and Jay could both go by the name Sprint and Turbocharger, it was the name for the characters who appeared in The Flash New 52 comics before they were killed by Daniel West.
    Last edited by Incognito; 03-05-2021 at 04:44 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    I always liked the codename Sentinel for Connor but IIRC Alan Scott has it back now.

Tim Drake could be Cardinal and Cassie could be Fury. I got used to Cassandra Cain's codename, Orphan, but I think Silhouette could be a nice name for her.

Since Wallace West is the teenage speedster who goes by the name, Kid Flash, Avery can go by the name Celerity or Trajectory. Irey and Jay could both go by the name Sprint and Turbocharger, it was the name for the characters who appeared in The Flash New 52 comics before they were killed by Daniel West.
    I love Sihouette! Great idea!