Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Also a DC Legion of Super-Heroes villain but with her ties to the Titans of Myth and Teen Titans/Titans the name would work.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Aquarius - Arthur Joseph Curry
    Iron Maiden - Natasha Irons - which was used in the 52 Novelization
    Micro - Ryan Choi
    Titania - Donna Troy
    Titania is a Marvel villain.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Mary_...an_(Earth-616)
    Also a DC Legion of Super-Heroes villain but with her ties to the Titans of Myth and Teen Titans/Titans the name would work.
    How about Titanide? or Titaness?

Vixen: If you take the literal definition, female fox, that doesn't come close since she can take on attributes of all animals. Then there's the figurative term that was used to describe sexually overt women. So the name is not only sexualized, but makes the problematic connection between female sexuality and animals. (how seriously would you take an older female character named "Cougar?")

Someone else mentioned it, but MICRON for Ryan Choi is cool in that it makes him the precursor for Micron from Justice League Unlimited.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Vixen: If you take the literal definition, female fox, that doesn't come close since she can take on attributes of all animals. Then there's the figurative term that was used to describe sexually overt women. So the name is not only sexualized, but makes the problematic connection between female sexuality and animals. (how seriously would you take an older female character named "Cougar?")

Someone else mentioned it, but MICRON for Ryan Choi is cool in that it makes him the precursor for Micron from Justice League Unlimited.
    I wouldn't mind an older female hero named The Cougar, actually maybe that name could be used by one of the alternate Cheetahs.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Kon is simply Kon-El. He doesn't need another code name.

Babs is Oracle because she chooses to be...and sometimes Batgirl.

Donna could be Donna Wonder...it would be a name all her own...and not an insult like Troia.

Tim is...I don't know...I've lost hope for him...

Kara should be Superwoman; we need a heroic Superwoman. We also need someone else to be Supergirl.

Cassie could be Amaze.

Jon is Superboy for the far future.

Wallace is the only Kid Flash...so he can be Kid Flash for a long time. And maybe Impetus when he's an adult?

Kimiyo Hoshi could be Hikari...a Japanese word for 'light'

Tomorrow Woman is another character...and a good one.

Redwing was also a member of the Team Titans...and maybe a vehicle for Tim Drake.

Ray Palmer could join Justice Incarnate like Barry Allen...leaving Ryan Choi as the Atom.
    Troia is a insult?
    It's literally how we call the Greek city of Troy here.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Elongated Man - Stretch

Wally West - Rush

Lightning Lad - Lightning

Matter Eater Lad - Matter Eater

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    You know who DESPERATELY needs new code names? The Marvel Family.

I reject the idea that Billy should be called "Shazam," and I'll never call him that.

I would go with:

Captain Marvel → Captain Thunder

Mary Marvel → Olympia

Captain Marvel Jr. -I don't want "Captain Thunder, Jr." as I agree with the OP that each character should have a unique name, not a spinoff name. Let's not even mention "CM3."

So, I'm kind of stuck on Freddy.

Does anyone have any suggestions for Freddy or Billy & Mary?
    If your going to call Mary Olympia why not calmly Billy Olympian. No one is using the name currently and the original character was a amalgam of gods also getting his strength from Hercules.

Freddy could be The Olympic, Olympian Jr, or Kid Olympian

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    I like Black Bat. It's a cool name.
    I'm surprised DC can use the name Black Bat, since that is the name of a pulp hero type blind vigilante named Tony Quinn. He's been a character since the 1930s.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post

I'm of the mindset that just because Vixen can mimic all animals, she doesn't need to have a code name that reflects that. Maybe she wanted to call herself something more exciting than "Animal Woman." I guess she could call herself Fauna, but maybe she specifically and purposely chose the name Vixen because the shape of her totem is a fox head.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 03-09-2021 at 06:42 PM.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Ok, let's see.

Jon is the new Superboy, so... (and yes, they should deage him, but even as a teenager the name can work):
    - Conner should be just... Kon. It's his name, but nobody really knows that. It fits, and it kinda makes him embracing his identity as a proud clone.
    - Kara should've been calling herself Superwoman for a long time now.
    - I still don't know if I'm ok with Natasha calling herself Steel while her uncle is still around or not. Maybe he should retire, or she could call herself Starlight.

We have a new Wonder Girl in town, so...
    - Cassie should be (as others have said) Olympia, or Olympian. It embraces her identity as Zeus' granddaughter, it highlights that she's not a kid nymore, and it kinda relates to her whole motiff with lightnings and all that. Of course, DC has to remember she exists first.
    - Artemis should be back to Requiem instead of keep calling herself just "Artemis". If the Goddess of Hunt appears again and the redhead is at the scene, it will make things confusing.
    - I'm ok with Donna being Troia (anything is better than "Darkstar").

As for the batboys and batgirls... ok, let's start.
    - Red Robin was always a ridiculous name for Tim. It doesn't say anything special about him, like "Nightwing" (with the whole kryptonian background), "Red Hood" (a literal FU against Joker) or "Oracle" (which fits so well with Babs' role). And freaking Robins are usually red anyway!! Of course, "Drake" is also a terrible name. Thank you again Bendis...
    Cardinal, Redwing or Redbird are the usual options. I like them all, but the problem is the same. It's just another red bird. It's basically Tim saying "I'm still Robin... but not". You knonw what I would like? Him taking a name like "The Detective", or "Enigma". Something that actually says anything about his own character.
    - Cass has the same issue as Tim. Black Bat is as idiotic as Red Robin, and again, doesn't say anything special about her. Orphan is a very cool name, but I don't like it as much because it kinda goes against the path that Cass took: being welcomed into a new family. I prefer something like "The Sillhouette" (whoever came up with that, you are a god of the new world) or simply "Shadow". "Shadow Daughter" is another name I really like, that is like Orphan, but well done.

However, there is something that DC is doing right now, and that I like, that is to make Cass, Babs and Steph all BATGIRLS, but with their own personal identity. Batgiril: Oracle, Batgirl: Shadow, and Batgirl: Spoiler. It fits, it's respectful to all three of them without making anyone mad, and is somehow different to Dick, Jason, Tim and Damian being "Robins".

- Wally and Barry both deserve to be Flash. However, I would call Barry "The Flash" and Wally "Flash". It's a stupid difference, yes, but if we are having a The Suicide Squad and a Suicide Squad in the same movie universe, nobody can complain. Also, with Wallace as the new Kid Flash, Bart should always be "Impulse", at least until Barry or Wally stops running.
    - As for Jay, he should be retired. Same as Alan btw.
    Last edited by Aramis; 03-09-2021 at 07:01 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Troia is a insult?
    It's literally how we call the Greek city of Troy here.
    Then you should know what Troia means in Italian.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Then you should know what Troia means in Italian.
    I mean, change the name for Italy then.
    Here in Brazil we had to change a bunch of Star Wars names for the same reason.

We changed Sifo-Dyas to Zaifo-Vias cause Sifo-Dyas is very close to how we say "F* yourself". We change Count Dooku to Count Dookan because Dooku sound like how we say "From the ass" here. Captain Panaka literaly means Captain Dweeb here, so it was changed to Panás.

It's actually a very common problem around the world.
    Tintin have other name in Japan cause it means penis there.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    I mean, change the name for Italy then.
    Here in Brazil we had to change a bunch of Star Wars names for the same reason.

We changed Sifo-Dyas to Zaifo-Vias cause Sifo-Dyas is very close to how we say "F* yourself". We change Count Dooku to Count Dookan because Dooku sound like how we say "From the ass" here. Captain Panaka literaly means Captain Dweeb here, so it was changed to Panás.

It's actually a very common problem around the world.
    Tintin have other name in Japan cause it means penis there.
    There’s the whole Hotspot issue with one of his code names being Joto too

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The Legion tried to change characters names around the time of the first reboot, and I personally thought most were pretty good.

Triplicate Girl - Triad
    Phantom Girl - Apparition
    Lightning Lad - Livewire
    Lightning Lass - Spark
    Dream Girl - Dreamer
    Element Lad - Alchemist
    Colossal Boy - Leviathan
    Shadow Lass - Umbra
    Sun Boy - Inferno

Some of the others they just dropped the boy/girl/lad/lass - Ferro, Chameleon, and Sensor

Most of the names stuck and worked out fine until Waid came in and said "Nope I hate anything that is not like the Silver Age when I was a kid so everyone is going back to silver age names. In fact I am even going to give some of them even goofier names like Micro Lad for Colossal Boy and Atom Girl for Shrinking Violet". He then proceeded to run the title into the ground ... sort of like how Bendis did.

Well, they'd not be able to use Livewire (Super villain), Leviathan (as in Event Leviathan) or Inferno (now being used by a Marvel character) for those characters nowadays.

I assume that's where the Supergirl TV show got the name Dreamer from. Though Dream Girl wouldn't have worked for the TV character as she's trans.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman