Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast

Default X-Men reboot currently being called "The Mutants"

https://www.cbr.com/mcu-x-men-reboot...utants-report/

It's not much to go on but it sounds like the ball is finally starting to roll. I really hope we don't lose the X-Men name completely as that would make me a bit sad but I'm okay with it starting off this way and then building to the "X-Men" kind of like how the Avengers came together.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

I hope they do it like proper MCU.

I'd love for it to begin with a HULK movie - and Hulk in Canada and Department H gets involved to stop the Hulk. Sends their secret project "The Wolverine."

Wolverine and Hulk battle it out - fight ends however - at the end, a guy in a wheelchair shows up and says, "Logan, you may be one of the oldest mutants I know of - but you're not alone. There are others like you."

Then an echoy version of his voice, to indicate telepathy, "My name is Charles Xavier and you, Logan, are a mutant."
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

My suspicion is that if this is true, it's starting out as "the mutants" mostly to emphasize the franchise's starting point so that subsequent developments are more impressive and exciting. I'd expect that the name X-Men is established by the end of that first film, and the ball rolls a bit slower than people would normally like, with an emphasis on treating mutants like an exciting new concept rather than a longstanding entity.

It's also possible they're avoiding the name X-Men starting off specifically because they want to minimize comparisons between MCU and Fox handling of them. Using the X-Men name lends to a lot of "Wait, they used this character in the first film, why not use them this time?" Not using the name makes it easier for them to assuage people by saying those characters will show up in due time, when it best fits narratively - with the overall goal of how they want to roll out mutants. "This character used right now isn't really possible until we establish this character and this concept first, even if it was covered by Fox's films."
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Bruh this is just an excuse to recycle all the unused The New Mutants merch lying around. I'd hate to be the employee that has to manually scratch "new" off of every t-shirt.

JK! If this news is true, the title may be temporary, as is common with films in early pre-production.

Well I am sure "The Mutants" is the project title - not the actually movie title.

I want what Feige did with the Avengers to happen to the X-Men.

I want tons of mini movies and a big event that would united them all.

I want an X-Men move, I want an Uncanny XMen team movie, Excalibur, New Mutants, GenX and New X-Men kids.

I want each generation to get their own movies or characters to be grouped together.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I want what Feige did with the Avengers to happen to the X-Men.

I want tons of mini movies and a big event that would united them all.
    Everyone says this and I don't agree at all. That's not what the X-Men are... they're not the Avengers. The Avengers all debuted individually because they're a collection of "Earth's mightiest heroes". The X-Men are a family and they made their introduction together. Aside from Logan, they don't really do solo stories. They have little mini adventures and a mini-series here and there, but they are a found family first and foremost. It's like saying you want solo Mr. Fantastic or Thing movies before the Fantastic Four. (I know, not a perfect analogy but similar IMO.)

I like the idea of building the X-Men similar to how the Avengers formed but there has to be some differences. Obviously Wolverine can pull off a solo movie, maybe you could do Scott and Alex or Scott and Jean in a movie and I think Storm could pull off a solo movie also. So if it's the same formula, would it be Logan, Scott/Jean and Ororo with other X-characters filling the roles like Hawkeye and Black Widow did? I feel like we've discussed this to death over the years lol. Still I am very excited!
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

The names probably going to change, if I ly to avoid co fusing it with The New Mutants. Though it would be interesting to have a movie about the mutants not specific to the X-Men. Maybe something like First Class where we see the Brotherhood and X-Men first form?

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    Everyone says this and I don't agree at all. That's not what the X-Men are... they're not the Avengers. The Avengers all debuted individually because they're a collection of "Earth's mightiest heroes". The X-Men are a family and they made their introduction together. Aside from Logan, they don't really do solo stories. They have little mini adventures and a mini-series here and there, but they are a found family first and foremost. It's like saying you want solo Mr. Fantastic or Thing movies before the Fantastic Four. (I know, not a perfect analogy but similar IMO.)
    I will disagree with you based on Giant Size X-Men - where Professor Xavier is seen gathering each of the (new) X-Men individually.

This is how I want the movie to go down.

A few where we see Xavier summoning some.

Maybe Cyclops, Jean and Beast are already there. Others he brings in over a few other movies.

I want Xavier to show up and "correct/fix" what Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are (were) - and explain that they were lied to - and that people didn't know how to classify mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I like the idea of building the X-Men similar to how the Avengers formed but there has to be some differences. Obviously Wolverine can pull off a solo movie, maybe you could do Scott and Alex or Scott and Jean in a movie and I think Storm could pull off a solo movie also. So if it's the same formula, would it be Logan, Scott/Jean and Ororo with other X-characters filling the roles like Hawkeye and Black Widow did? I feel like we've discussed this to death over the years lol. Still I am very excited!
    Storm they could easily tie to a Black Panther movie - since both are relatively in the same region. Like Xavier finds and gets Storm at the end of Black Panther III.

Now that "the mutants" are under the purview of Marvel Studios, I have complete faith in how they'll treat/manage introducing the X-Men to the MCU. Sure, there was some charm here and there in the FOX X-Men movies, but they fall in comparison in the broader narrative that Marvel Studios managed to weave across all their films (and now television properties). I'm so excited to see what they will do with the X-Men property (in story, in visual representation, in story-telling) and know that Feige and team have great reverence and appreciation for the material, characters and history of the comics. And yeah, "the mutants" is assuredly just the working project name, and won't be the name of the final film(s).

Excellent. If true, it may be happening sooner than I hoped.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Yeah lol, lots of back and forth!

I don't mind X-Men characters getting solo adventures in movies or Disney+ material, but I think it should happen after. They core concept of the X-Men is the oppression for being "hated and feared". It just won't hit the same if they do solo adventures first. Like Rogue making an appearance in CM... no thank you! It'll completely dilute the emotional byline for when the X-Men movie comes out.

I don't want to see a Gambit heist movie or Storm as a theif/goddess supporting character in BP that will make mutant oppression secondary or not even a plot point. At most, maybe a Wolverine series or movie about a new kind of superhuman emerging and being exploited.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    I will disagree with you based on Giant Size X-Men - where Professor Xavier is seen gathering each of the (new) X-Men individually.

This is how I want the movie to go down.

A few where we see Xavier summoning some.

Maybe Cyclops, Jean and Beast are already there. Others he brings in over a few other movies.

I want Xavier to show up and "correct/fix" what Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are (were) - and explain that they were lied to - and that people didn't know how to classify mutants.
    The events of Giant-Size X-Men were one issue. And the recruiting just the first act. That is not material for a whole series of movies. They literally debuted in one issue.

EDIT: I think there's some confusion. They don't have to all be X-Men at the start of the movie. I just want the X-Men to first debut in their own movie. Not sprinkled all over other MCU movies.
    Last edited by superjosh; 03-04-2021 at 06:34 PM.