Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I doubt anyone would start with the astonishing team. The astonishing team is more white than the o5. That is saying a lot.
    That depends on what version of the Astonishing team you are using. Even the initial one under Whedon had Armor, and Ellis added Storm right after. That's better than the Avengers were in the first film.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Thats pretty much every X-Men team. The O5 is the whitest team by a mile. Even Whedons team had Hisako and Ellis then had Storm and Hisako which isn't saying much but it shows the O5 being the biggest offender.

Even the All New and Different team only had Storm and Thunderbird and then they killed off Thunderbird and we had Storm for years until we had Gateway as side character. And Jubilee I guess

The New Mutants was the first proper stab at non white characters
    I love the O5, but they are a product of their time. When brought up in more modern comics, they are best used as a found family more than a standard team. But for film they could just as easily apply that theme towards different characters.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    I doubt if they will use X-FACTOR because of the television show by the same name.
    Yeah I don't think the X-Factor name can ever be used by Marvel for a movie or a show. It would have actually been a cool title for an "intro" movie about mutants in general.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    Yeah I don't think the X-Factor name can ever be used by Marvel for a movie or a show. It would have actually been a cool title for an "intro" movie about mutants in general.
    I wonder if they could just use the name Factor-X instead?

Even the All New and Different team only had Storm and Thunderbird and then they killed off Thunderbird and we had Storm for years until we had Gateway as side character.
    The disrespect to Sunfire.. Jk he disappears just as quickly.. Nothing against Banshee and Colossus but imagine if they kept Sunfire and Thunderbird around.

My ideal is for them to start with all new all different era but acknowledge that O5 was the first team/class via flashbacks. By that era I mean Storm, Wolverine, Thunderbird, Sunfire, Banshee, Cyclops, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Jean Grey, Beast, Iceman, Polaris, Havok, and Technically Sage, Darwin, Sway, Petra is good pool to pull from. Historically to X-men lore you got quite a diverse pool to pull from.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    The disrespect to Sunfire.. Jk he disappears just as quickly.. Nothing against Banshee and Colossus but imagine if they kept Sunfire and Thunderbird around.

My ideal is for them to start with all new all different era but acknowledge that O5 was the first team/class via flashbacks. By that era I mean Storm, Wolverine, Thunderbird, Sunfire, Banshee, Cyclops, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Jean Grey, Beast, Iceman, Polaris, Havok, and Technically Sage, Darwin, Sway, Petra is good pool to pull from. Historically to X-men lore you got quite a diverse pool to pull from.
    How about using Warpath? He's even more prominent than Thunderbird

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    I wonder if they could just use the name Factor-X instead?
    Factor-X does not sound good. if it ain't, broken don't fix, X-Factor is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Don’t care as much about Sunfire. Just never warmed to the guy honestly (pun intended). So his flying off in a huff never bothered me. But it could’ve been interesting if they kept Thunderbird around and someone else died, like say Banshee. Siryn could even show up at some point, inspired to join the X-men by her father’s sacrifice.

If they decided to make a change like that, they should lean into Thunderbird as the team’s brick/strong guy and make the big gentle Colossus more of a support character who mostly mentors the younger X-men. That way they can keep using him in the Deadpool movies, and maybe he even becomes part of X-Force with Cable, Domino and Deadpool. Could be a cool switch honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    How about using Warpath? He's even more prominent than Thunderbird
    Another good idea. What if Thunderbird does die, but his brother shows up to avenge him and takes his place. Would be again a deviation from the source material, but so what? It’s not like all the other MCU films were totally faithful to the source material either. Especially in terms of team rosters and how/when they came together as a team.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Another good idea. What if Thunderbird does die, but his brother shows up to avenge him and takes his place. Would be again a deviation from the source material, but so what? It’s not like all the other MCU films were totally faithful to the source material either. Especially in terms of team rosters and how/when they came together as a team.
    It could be used as a way for him to call out the mistreatment of indigenous people, by calling them out on his brother's death.

Incredible Member

Could we have less talk of killing Banshee , please? It’s hard enough to be a fan of his...

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Don’t care as much about Sunfire. Just never warmed to the guy honestly (pun intended). So his flying off in a huff never bothered me. But it could’ve been interesting if they kept Thunderbird around and someone else died, like say Banshee. Siryn could even show up at some point, inspired to join the X-men by her father’s sacrifice.

If they decided to make a change like that, they should lean into Thunderbird as the team’s brick/strong guy and make the big gentle Colossus more of a support character who mostly mentors the younger X-men. That way they can keep using him in the Deadpool movies, and maybe he even becomes part of X-Force with Cable, Domino and Deadpool. Could be a cool switch honestly.
    The thing is that Thunderbird was a Wolverine type of hotheaded, aggressive guy (though Logan evolved beyond the archetype ever since) with Colossus powers, and with a team that already had Wolverine and Colossus, he was expendable.

Anyway, Storm is a given in any X-men team, but of course diversity isn't just about race. If you have a team that has any of the characters like Iceman for LGTQ+ representation, Kitty and Nightcrawler with different religious faiths, or Nightcrawler himself, Storm, Wolverine, Colossus and/or Magik for different nationalities, then you already have a far more diverse team than the original Avengers, which need I remind you, had 5 straight guys and a straight girl, 4 of the characters being American, with no hint of whatever religious faith they had (though Stark was probably an atheist, and Thor worships...himself?).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    The thing is that Thunderbird was a Wolverine type of hotheaded, aggressive guy (though Logan evolved beyond the archetype ever since) with Colossus powers, and with a team that already had Wolverine and Colossus, he was expendable.

Anyway, Storm is a given in any X-men team, but of course diversity isn't just about race. If you have a team that has any of the characters like Iceman for LGTQ+ representation, Kitty and Nightcrawler with different religious faiths, or Nightcrawler himself, Storm, Wolverine, Colossus and/or Magik for different nationalities, then you already have a far more diverse team than the original Avengers, which need I remind you, had 5 straight guys and a straight girl, 4 of the characters being American, with no hint of whatever religious faith they had (though Stark was probably an atheist, and Thor worships...himself?).
    I can see that. It still feels kind of jerky to kill off the Apache hero for the sake of two white ones. Plus, Christians aren't exactly oppressed in most countries. It all feels like lip service to diversity. But the X-Men have evolved since then.

The OG Avengers weren't diverse at all, I agree. I think they've gotten a bit better in recent years, especially with the push for PoC and female characters during the last 15 to 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    When we talk about diversity, it’s usually about a problem of representation of minorities in a country.
    The New X-men coming from all countries around the world are necessarily diverse people because it would make no sense if they were alike.
    For me, it was not about the representation of the difference but about the universalism of Xavier message… at least it was the case at the beginning.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    When we talk about diversity, it’s usually about a problem of representation of minorities in a country.
    The New X-men coming from all countries around the world are necessarily diverse people because it would make no sense if they were alike.
    For me, it was not about the representation of the difference but about the universalism of Xavier message… at least it was the case at the beginning.
    I think disability is important to show, but I agree ethnic minorities are the biggest focus of diversity, alongside women.

BANNED

Thats pretty much every X-Men team. The O5 is the whitest team by a mile. Even Whedons team had Hisako and Ellis then had Storm and Hisako which isn't saying much but it shows the O5 being the biggest offender.

Even the All New and Different team only had Storm and Thunderbird and then they killed off Thunderbird and we had Storm for years until we had Gateway as side character. And Jubilee I guess

The New Mutants was the first proper stab at non white characters
    I nevered like that 05 stuff. bin it, bag it, bunk it.

I am sort of scared abut the diversity issue to be honest. I am scared the approach may not be handled well.

star wars tried it and failed

black panther tried it and never got far with the content of the story. outside of the characters been mostly black, black panther barely had any real plot point of any prejudice themes

I dont think i have seen a big blockbuster movie tell a story of the social themes that will make you go, this is as good as blackklansman for a comic book movie, that is what I expect from xmen. like it or not but the best of the fox films got quite close.

diversity is more than just vague references to racism or homophobia and having POC characters. we will not want a John Boyega star wars moment for us xmen fans, i think it will be damaging because xmen has been the champion for opening the door to accept many group of diverse people, so a movie failing at it with the content of the story, cannot be an option.
    Last edited by Castle; 03-06-2021 at 02:26 PM.