Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

I do think the MCU will do a better job of balancing characters. WandaVision gave SW and Vision a booat in characterization, and FaWS will probably do the same for Falcon and WS. So I think the X-Men are in good hands on that front

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    But that is the "X-men", Wolverine has the most appearance of any comic book character(Superman, Batman ,Spiderman might have more), It is not the "X-men" with out Wolverine being used a lot. But as an example Iron Man in MCU logs about the same amount of minutes of Screen time as Wolverine in Fox. I haven't see the Iron Man is used too much statement very often. Why? Because Captain America and Thor log nearly as screen time as Iron Man and Hulk or some other Avenger generally got good focus as well. In the MCU the characters we expect to get focus got lots of focus at Fox, Wolverine got the focus we expected, and Cyclops, Storm, Nightcrawler got shortchanged for Xavier, Magneto, Mystique and Quicksilver who are good characters but not the ones who should be getting the lion share of the time.

The biggest mistake I think people make when they say I hope they use Wolverine less, Is not understanding that Marvel gets the X-men is a franchise, The first X-men movie for Fox was in 2000, and first team spin off movie was in 2020. I think does not matter if the franchise main movie is wolverine centric in a world where they are X-force, New Mutants, New X-men and X-factor/Excalibur projects. I don't think it matters if wolverine is being used a lot in world where we getting solo shows like Wandavision for Gambit & Rogue, Cable, Storm, X-23, Magik and others.

The fear of too much "Wolverine" is a Fox creation, MCU is not Fox with Moon Knight, Iron Heart, She Hulk, War Machine, Nick Fury and Wakanda all getting shows who don't compare to top X-characters in popularity. Characters not getting time to shine is the least of our worries imo.
    Nah sorry i'm gonna have to disagree. Even in the animated series it wasn't Wolverine feat. X-Men no matter how much more he appeared than others in comics. Everybody had their equal shine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I think the O5, aside from Beast, are stunningly boring
    Have you read the Dark Angel Saga by Rick Remender? Sorry a bit OT.

I have a lot of faith in Marvel being able to make the X-Men a big success. Iron Man was a b-lister until the MCU, the GotG were Z-listers until their movie came out as well. I'm not saying the MCU is always good, they definitely have some misses, but I think that whatever line up they choose they are going to make it work.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by metalclouds View Post
    Nah sorry i'm gonna have to disagree. Even in the animated series it wasn't Wolverine feat. X-Men no matter how much more he appeared than others in comics. Everybody had their equal shine.
    Nope go back watch the show. You mistake everybody getting "their shine" and "equal shine", Even in the animated series Wolverine was used more than other main characters. Evolution was more balanced than animated but I am pretty sure he was used more in that one as well.

And it is for a reason, Wolverine is the best at what he does, and what he is does be a drama/conflict engine in squad of heroes who will always do the right thing, wolverine will do the wrong thing or start an argument. Only Gambit and Emma Frost are in Wolverine class of pulling drama from no where.

BANNED

You definitely did not watch Evolution if you thought Wolverine was used more than everyone else in that show.
    Most of Evolution was centered around Scott, Rogue, Jean, Kurt and Kitty.

But that is the "X-men", Wolverine has the most appearance of any comic book character(Superman, Batman ,Spiderman might have more), It is not the "X-men" with out Wolverine being used a lot. But as an example Iron Man in MCU logs about the same amount of minutes of Screen time as Wolverine in Fox. I haven't see the Iron Man is used too much statement very often. Why? Because Captain America and Thor log nearly as screen time as Iron Man and Hulk or some other Avenger generally got good focus as well. In the MCU the characters we expect to get focus got lots of focus at Fox, Wolverine got the focus we expected, and Cyclops, Storm, Nightcrawler got shortchanged for Xavier, Magneto, Mystique and Quicksilver who are good characters but not the ones who should be getting the lion share of the time.

The biggest mistake I think people make when they say I hope they use Wolverine less, Is not understanding that Marvel gets the X-men is a franchise, The first X-men movie for Fox was in 2000, and first team spin off movie was in 2020. I think does not matter if the franchise main movie is wolverine centric in a world where they are X-force, New Mutants, New X-men and X-factor/Excalibur projects. I don't think it matters if wolverine is being used a lot in world where we getting solo shows like Wandavision for Gambit & Rogue, Cable, Storm, X-23, Magik and others.

The fear of too much "Wolverine" is a Fox creation, MCU is not Fox with Moon Knight, Iron Heart, She Hulk, War Machine, Nick Fury and Wakanda all getting shows who don't compare to top X-characters in popularity. Characters not getting time to shine is the least of our worries imo.
    I think this is more about the MCU in the absence of Fox treating Wolverine like they should within the context of X-men as a member (he's an off and on kind of guy, depending on the run or the status of his own solo series). Less about his screentime/dialogue allotment being greater per-say - because as you said this is the MCU. There is no need on their part to artificially push star power over being faithful to the sources team dynamics.

Still there's a need in my mind for breathing room with his character, which amounts to taking his introduction in a different direction as for one, only Hugh Jackman has played Wolverine and with new movies comes a new actor, and a different take on his origin/character arch...meaning super high expectations, even before Logan.

For me it's about setting the stage for MCU Wolverine, as the tormented bastard with a heart. Without overdoing or underplaying it and it's about not pushing the whole plot or narrative through him, unless it's been built to that end. All about finding that sweet spot to display to ppl, that while Wolverine is a core member. He's still his own man.

The same thing applies with Jean and her past in relation Fox's misuse of her Phoenix powers or the abuse of Mystique's moral ambiguity in the films and loyalty in relation to herself, Xavier, Magneto, Mutants and conflict with humanity in general. Just so much tapped and untapped material that needs to be done justice, if not out the gate. At least over time.

So certainly, it's fine if A...X-men film is centric to one or two characters but it has to make sense and should prepare the audience for that journey. Within the context of previous (or future) film or TV series - mini or ongoing - that informs the fans of other characters with their own plots, narratives, and villians. That they aren't going to get shortchanged.

While Wolverine goes through the Weapon X program, once again...something that's no doubt important, but shouldn't be the end all to his adaption. Samething with him, Scott and Jean.

Bottomline, everything and everyone should have their place within the context of these film's within reason. There being similarities to Avengers is perfect but the differences needs to be shown not just told to us and that should be apart of the driving force behind the MCU version. Like i really want to dive deep into a new but "grounded" world that explores, all those amazing comic book moments.

They just have to make sense and not overshadow the end goal. Almost anyone can make the X-men look like mutants, even act like the characters but that's only half the battle. We need the underbelly.
    Last edited by OblivionX33; 03-07-2021 at 05:58 AM.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

It's amazing how many sites have shared "The Mutants" rumour in the past 48 hours. Rumours about MCU projects come out on almost a weekly basis on some site or another but hardly ever get widespread coverage like this one or confirmation from other tipsters like Charles Murphy.

Ultimate Member

Do you think it's because there's some credence to it, or is it because people are quick to get outraged over gender neutrality?

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Do you think it's because there's some credence to it, or is it because people are quick to get outraged over gender neutrality?
    I think it's the former and the rumour is to be believed, websites are always hungry for more clicks but I never see them report clickbait MCU rumours other sites like We Got This Covered post on an almost daily basis.

To be honest, I think the real "news" here is that Marvel Studios have started working on their X-Men reboot, not so much the naming of it. It's just too far away for Marvel to have settled on a title at this stage.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    Yes, they did all debut in the same issue - but Xavier was flying around the world.

Imagine -

Wolverine appears in Hulk (because Hulk is in Canada)
    Storm appears in Black Panther (II, III, IV, whatever)
    Colossus appears in Black Widow (II, III, IV, whatever)

They could easily use the existing MCU to show this is all connected, happening in the same world, AND pull in people who are NOT familiar with the X-Men.

Build up to the first X-Men movie entitled:

X-MEN: CHILDREN OF THE ATOM.
    Yeah and get to the first X-Men movie in ten years

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PeterParked View Post
    Yeah and get to the first X-Men movie in ten years
    Maybe 5 years

My prediction is that Wolverine won’t feature heavily in The Mutants, if at all. The sheer volume of rumors around the character have kind of given me a “where there’s smoke there’s fire” vibe, and I believe that directionally they spell out what Feige wants to do with Logan when they introduce him in the MCU.

I believe he’ll be an anti-hero and will definitely take on the Hulk (and possibly some other heroes) prior to us seeing him interact with the X-men. I also predict that he won’t be the major focus of the X-men even after he does join up with them, as he’ll get some play on his own outside of the X-men/The Mutants and therefore doesn’t need to be the focus there. I’m not worried about them finding the right balance. Marvel has shown that they can make less popular characters shine, and the other X-men outside of Logan are far more popular than some of the characters they’ve done this for. So they’ll push some other mutants in the team films and Wolverine will be more of a background character, once he joins up; though I fully expect him to have some great moments. I’m thinking like Drax in Guardians, though perhaps less funny. A dangerous guy that has his moments, just not too many of them. Especially since he’ll have room to be explored outside of the X-men.

I’m also interested in how Deadpool 3 will line up with The Mutants, and whether any of his supporting cast is going to make it over to the MCU with him. It’s been rumored that Brolin and Beetz will be back as Cable and Domino, and I am all for that. Can’t wait to see how Feige and company will turn them into the MCU versions, and I really hope the rumor that Deadpool is the only one who remembers the previous two FOX films in the other universe is true. Could be hilarious if done right.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Nope go back watch the show. You mistake everybody getting "their shine" and "equal shine", Even in the animated series Wolverine was used more than other main characters. Evolution was more balanced than animated but I am pretty sure he was used more in that one as well.

And it is for a reason, Wolverine is the best at what he does, and what he is does be a drama/conflict engine in squad of heroes who will always do the right thing, wolverine will do the wrong thing or start an argument. Only Gambit and Emma Frost are in Wolverine class of pulling drama from no where.
    For TAS he was the team on certain episodes but he wasn't the focus for a majority of episodes. Evolution gave the teen memebers more focus than the adults. He was in Super Hero Squad too but that show mostly focused on Iron Man, Reptil, Doom and MODOK.
    "Cable was right!"

Like I said above, I think the ability to use Wolverine outside of the X-men team films (or The Mutants, whatever they call it) is precisely why he won’t be overused in those films. In other words, they can have their cake and eat it too by spreading the most popular mutant character around in other places (cameos in other MCU films and Dis+ shows, perhaps his own film or Dis+ show) and therefore they can focus on other mutants in the mutant ensemble films.

Win-win in my view.

Ultimate Member

Will anyone be unhappy if Wolverine's not in there? He's my favorite X-Man but he's had about 9 film appearances. Does he need more?