Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    That's what I want for the MCU X-Men instead of suffering extinction threats all the time!

I get people would be cautious but aren't most mutants not dangerous? To me there's a difference between being apprehensive and outright trying to exterminate mutants.
    Oh totally agree with no more extinction plots. That’s very different than getting rid of the metaphor though.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Oh totally agree with no more extinction plots. That’s very different than getting rid of the metaphor though.
    I guess for me I'd rather hear about the actual bigotry real minorities face. Seeing someone like Cyclops be the face of the struggle for civil rights in a universe with characters like Black Panther and Falcon bothers me

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    You don't have to be inherently dangerous to have people dislike or have prejudice against you. Often it's the opposite, it's an abuse of power from a majority group against a minority group.

As for mental justifications; any tiny differences can allow people to make an out-group as an "other" and use them as scapegoats for problems that are not their fault. Let alone being an entire different species on a biological level.

As someone else mentioned, real world racism and discrimination offers numerous examples of this. There are many genocides still going on today in various countries (Nigeria, China, Syria, etc...).

I have no doubt if mutants were a real thing, they would face discrimination and prejudice. Maybe not as heavy-handed 24/7 as the X-books can make it out to be but for sure militant registration and observation as well as systemic discrimination and prejudice.
    I feel if they were real they'd be used by governments and corporations for their own purposes

I feel if they were real they'd be used by governments and corporations for their own purposes
    I'm sure that would happen too. Military arms race still exists today, even though no one wants to use the biggest and most self-destructive guns.

For all that the X-Men is fiction and an exaggeration, there is some truth to the human characters and governments behavior and actions.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    And it's not like there is any need for them from Marvel's side.

Genosha's destruction was because Morrison wanted to open his run with a shock moment, but had no interested in properly exploring it and Marvel had no interest for the rest of the comics to acknowledge it as major moment of global importance (imagine South Africa suddently getting destroyed by a giant robot and nobody cares). Basicly lazy writing and lazy editorial, not bothering with the worth of a major setpiece.

M-Day happend because Joe Q. wanted the mutants to be reduced in number again, as not to overshadow the other super powered characters and grant the Avengers more spotlight. The mutants are basicly starting out in the MCU if anything and the Avengers are now THE major super hero group in pop culture.

Finaly the whole M-Pox thing and the Inhumans overshadowing them was because of movie rights battles. Now that the property is back in Disney's hand and the person responcible for the Inhumans push not having any controll over Marvel Studios anymore. There is again no more reason to try to push the mutants down.

As for the metaphor itself. While there is no need to get rid of it. It should be noted again that it also has to be used in broad strokes, because it falls appart too easy under a too close examination simply because it doesn't mix well with real life discrimination, since it both involves super natural powers (having no allegory in real life) and because mutants actualy ARE potentialy dangerous just by existing. So fear of them has a degree of logic to it.

So in order to use the metaphor to it's best it shouldn't be pushed too hard, but just be used as usefull elements in stories otherwise dedicated to super natural heros fighting other super natural powers for the sake of the rest of humanity (and even people who hate and fear them for what they are, because as heros they are above that).

I'm sure that would happen too. Military arms race still exists today, even though no one wants to use the biggest and most self-destructive guns.

For all that the X-Men is fiction and an exaggeration, there is some truth to the human characters and governments behavior and actions.
    The MCU actualy has a sort of super power/tech arms race going on it seems (similar to the Ultimates but less overt), so one could certainly see mutants quickly becoming a desired "resource" for all kinds of groups to join or profit from the race.

Come to think of it, isn't it weird that while X2 did go a bit into the direction of weaponized mutants, it was actualy the first Deadpool movie which showed a successfull large scale clandestine operation trying to weaponize mutants and sell them to the highest bidder in conflicts around the world?
    Last edited by Grunty; 03-23-2021 at 04:59 PM.

Ultimate Member

I think a general message of tolerance is better than a specific metaphor.

Per your point Grunty, I think it would be ludicrous if the Avengers didn't defend the X-Men in the MCU. I can't see any of them saying "yes government, persecute those mutants." Plus I think many mutants would actually work for thr government or private sector for their own purposes

Ultimate Member

I don't doubt governments would commit unethical acts when it comes ro mutants in the real world

I guess for me I'd rather hear about the actual bigotry real minorities face. Seeing someone like Cyclops be the face of the struggle for civil rights in a universe with characters like Black Panther and Falcon bothers me
    So the solution is to update the metaphor by not making Cyclops the face (or at least the only face) of mutantkind. The metaphor can very easily be modernized. I love me some Black Panther but X-Men stories just hit different.

Astonishing Member

I think a general message of tolerance is better than a specific metaphor.

Per your point Grunty, I think it would be ludicrous if the Avengers didn't defend the X-Men in the MCU. I can't see any of them saying "yes government, persecute those mutants." Plus I think many mutants would actually work for their government or private sector for their own purposes
    I agree. Especialy considering the Civil War storyline. It would certainly make sense for their public members to speak out against general mutant prejudice or villification of the X-men.
    Though interesting enough with the Avengers currently reduced in number and out of the picture, with all the post "blip" problems going on in the MCU, it would actualy make sense why the Avengers wouldn't be able to show up and help the X-men or various mutant groups.

Unlike the comics were they are almost always active, yet never or only seldomly mentioned when the X-men have to safe the world or themself again.

Also it would certainly make sense for various government agencies or private organizations to actualy seek out mutants as employee and for mutants to take such jobs for various reasons.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    I agree. Especialy considering the Civil War storyline. It would certainly make sense for their public members to speak out against general mutant prejudice or villification of the X-men.
    Though interesting enough with the Avengers currently reduced in number and out of the picture, with all the post "blip" problems going on in the MCU, it would actualy make sense why the Avengers wouldn't be able to show up and help the X-men or various mutant groups.

Unlike the comics were they are almost always active, yet never or only seldomly mentioned when the X-men have to safe the world or themself again.

Also it would certainly make sense for various government agencies or private organizations to actualy seek out mutants as employee and for mutants to take such jobs for various reasons.
    Maybe mutant vs mutant. Instead of government trying to kill mutants, they're trying to get their powers

Although more Avengers than ever will be coming, even if they're not yet united. And many will be PoC and women, so they really wouldn't be inclined to ignore any persecution if they saw it

So in order to use the metaphor to it's best it shouldn't be pushed too hard, but just be used as usefull elements in stories otherwise dedicated to super natural heros fighting other super natural powers for the sake of the rest of humanity (and even people who hate and fear them for what they are, because as heros they are above that).
    Couldn't have said it better if i said it myself lol

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I don't know, the X-Men have always done very well with verbose writers LOL
    No quarter will be asked - and none given.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

You don't have to be inherently dangerous to have people dislike or have prejudice against you. Often it's the opposite, it's an abuse of power from a majority group against a minority group.

As for mental justifications; any tiny differences can allow people to make an out-group as an "other" and use them as scapegoats for problems that are not their fault. Let alone being an entire different species on a biological level.

As someone else mentioned, real world racism and discrimination offers numerous examples of this. There are many genocides still going on today in various countries (Nigeria, China, Syria, etc...).

I have no doubt if mutants were a real thing, they would face discrimination and prejudice. Maybe not as heavy-handed 24/7 as the X-books can make it out to be but for sure militant registration and observation as well as systemic discrimination and prejudice.
    I have little doubt that if mutants were real they would either be weaponized by the world's governments, segregated into concentration camps or, if in significant enough numbers and with strong enough powers, conquering the world. I could only see them being subjected to discrimination and prejudice if in very small numbers and very inoffensive powers.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I have little doubt that if mutants were real they would either be weaponized by the world's governments, segregated into concentration camps or, if in significant enough numbers and with strong enough powers, conquering the world. I could only see them being subjected to discrimination and prejudice if in very small numbers and very inoffensive powers.
    I see what you mean. Technically Magneto was more like a "conqueror" before Claremont revamped him, if I remember it correctly.

Isn’t what it has usually been done? It’s comics, fun stuff… Action. Humour. Not a treaty on discrimination… which would interest nobody.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe