Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    The school is a core part of the series. I once compared it to the Hogwarts of marvel comic books, you cannot take that away ,although the worrywith the school is MCU may want to turn it into Disney High than Mutant high when mutant high should be more inline with Star Trek's star fleet academy.
    I'm not sure why you'd fear that?

Quote Originally Posted by Foon4000 View Post
    The what is it with Storm's hair? There are Cosplayers acing Storm at Cons all over the world.
    I understand people wanting a dark-skinned Storm, but honestly, she never looked black to me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    I just want it to start the academy x kids. We had 20 years of the clarmont crew, keep them in reserves and focuse on the newer generation.
    I wouldn't mind that. In fact, I don't personally care for guys like Cyclops or Angel

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I understand people wanting a dark-skinned Storm, but honestly, she never looked black to me anyway.
    In what year did you first pick up an X-men book?

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

"The Mutants" is interesting. I'd be surprised if it sticks, but who knows.

At this point, I don't care what it's called. I just want some good X-Men movies/tv shows/animated series.
    Make Good Art

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    In what year did you first pick up an X-men book?
    I've read it here and there, but I can't say for certain. I've been more familiar with Spider-Man and Avengers comics.

But what I mean is her eyes, her hair, her facial features and even her skin color at times don't appear African to me. If I'm not mistaken, she's supposed to be inspired by multiple races.
    Last edited by CosmiComic; 03-05-2021 at 10:39 AM.

I've read it here and there, but I can't say for certain. I've been more familiar with Spider-Man and Avengers comics.

But what I mean is her eyes, her hair, her facial features and even her skin color at times don't appear to me. If I'm not mistaken, she's supposed to be inspired by multiple races.
    She's a black woman from Kenya. It's the start of the second paragraph of her Wikipedia entry. Are you sure you were reading X-men.

All I want are The New Mutants and The New X-Men Academy X kids on film.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, but she has straight white hair. What African woman looks like that?

But what I mean is her eyes, her hair, her facial features and even her skin color at times don't appear African to me. If I'm not mistaken, she's supposed to be inspired by multiple races.
    Well her skin color is a different issue, Storm has clearly dark skin but with every black character, it gets lighten over time with a bad colorist and lack of attention to detail. This is why I asked you when you pick up a book because the original presentation was clearly black and was so for many years. The second thing is who was in charge of making decisions on characters for example the current artist of the book Static is black man furthermore he is one of the better artists at drawing black hairstyles. It makes a big difference in little details who is drawing or writing things. anyways this is straying from the topic

Forget about content, I'm worried about the basic-ass styling nearly every MCU actors gets, 90s!Brie Larson in Captain Marvel and Zendaya aside.

That AWFUL back-combed wig on spoilers:
    Scarlet Witch
    end of spoilers? Agatha's eye makeup? Wanda's whole look pre-WandaVision? The monstrosity of a bob-wig Evangeline Lilly had in the first Ant-Man? 2020s Captain Marvel?

Every aesthetic decision is either bland basic or NO. I am not settling for Storm, Kitty, Rogue, Raven, Jean, Emma Frost and Betsy looking like soccer moms or broke COSplayers.
    Marvel does have an aesthetic that they really do stick to and it gets a little boring. It points out the difficulties of having individualized costumes... you really have to hit that sweet spot between boring and camp. A lot of folks still don't understand why the X-Men can't have colorful individual costumes. They are a team unit and it wouldn't make sense... at least not right away. Would you see a military unit where they're all wearing different outfits? Fun maybe, but it would be ridiculous. After the characters kind of evolve, then it could happen... which is EXACTLY how it played out in the comics!

The only MCU movie that had design and fashion and fabulous hair was Black Panther... which brings us to the next point!

The what is it with Storm's hair? There are Cosplayers acing Storm at Cons all over the world.
    Because it's always been non-black people making these decisions! There was a young actress (I think from the new High School Musical?) that mentioned she always wore a headband because no one knew what to do with her hair. There are so many stories like this! The hair and makeup artists on set have no idea how to work with anything non-Anglo centered.

Black Panther looked the way it did because the people behind the scenes knew what they were doing. Ruth E. Carter won an Oscar for her costume design! She did B.A.P.S all those years ago so she has always been a legend!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Well her skin color is a different issue, Storm has clearly dark skin but with every black character, it gets lighten over time with a bad colorist and lack of attention to detail. This is why I asked you when you pick up a book because the original presentation was clearly black and was so for many years. The second thing is who was in charge of making decisions on characters for example the current artist of the book Static is black man furthermore he is one of the better artists at drawing black hairstyles. It makes a big difference in little details who is drawing or writing things. anyways this is straying from the topic
    You're right, this is off topic. Agree to disagree and we'll leave it at that.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    Marvel does have an aesthetic that they really do stick to and it gets a little boring. It points out the difficulties of having individualized costumes... you really have to hit that sweet spot between boring and camp. A lot of folks still don't understand why the X-Men can't have colorful individual costumes. They are a team unit and it wouldn't make sense... at least not right away. Would you see a military unit where they're all wearing different outfits? Fun maybe, but it would be ridiculous. After the characters kind of evolve, then it could happen... which is EXACTLY how it played out in the comics!

The only MCU movie that had design and fashion and fabulous hair was Black Panther... which brings us to the next point!

Because it's always been non-black people making these decisions! There was a young actress (I think from the new High School Musical?) that mentioned she always wore a headband because no one knew what to do with her hair. There are so many stories like this! The hair and makeup artists on set have no idea how to work with anything non-Anglo centered.

Black Panther looked the way it did because the people behind the scenes knew what they were doing. Ruth E. Carter won an Oscar for her costume design! She did B.A.P.S all those years ago so she has always been a legend!
    I appreciated Black Panther actually taking all that into consideration.

I'm not so sure about the X-Men costumes. Why do we want to militarize them? The problem is individual X-Men have trouble standing out.

The Mutants huh not crazy about it but if true will reserve judgement to see the full plan for what they intend with the X side of things....this reminds me of the MCU producer who said the X-Men name was outdated hope this has nothing to do with that nonsense......I know ppl were clamoring for the Disney/MCU to get there hands on the X-Characters and finally do them justice Im one of them however A part of me feels that MCU X-Men at least parts of it will be quite divisive among the fanbase just a feeling. I look at what the MCU has done with Spiderman and while the movies are popular the characterization and certain other things rub quite a few ppl the wrong way especially in the service of the greater universe....time will tell tho.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I'm not sure if they'll use Krakoa since that's still being fleshed out but MCU used The Ultimates for the Avengers which was fresh at the time.
    So hopefully they use stuff outside Magneto, Phoenix, Magneto like FOX and use more 2000s and up material like Bastion, Omega Sentinels, Utopia, Casandra Nova, Xorn, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Wolverine And His Academy X.
    Wolverine and his X-traordinary Friends
    "Cable was right!"

I appreciated Black Panther actually taking all that into consideration.

I'm not so sure about the X-Men costumes. Why do we want to militarize them? The problem is individual X-Men have trouble standing out.
    I was just using the military unit as an analogy. They don't need to look all tactical. But my argument is that a uniform for the X-Men makes sense. I'll bring up the Fantastic Four again... they wear a uniform. The X-Men are individuals yes, but they were given a safe space together in a school to learn, train, and be accepted. That's the first iteration of the X-Men. They weren't secret agents, gods, hulks, and armored engineers that came together to stop a global threat. They were a bunch of kids who needed a place to survive and thrive.
    Last edited by superjosh; 03-05-2021 at 11:33 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by cam18 View Post
    The Mutants huh not crazy about it but if true will reserve judgement to see the full plan for what they intend with the X side of things....this reminds me of the MCU producer who said the X-Men name was outdated hope this has nothing to do with that nonsense......I know ppl were clamoring for the Disney/MCU to get there hands on the X-Characters and finally do them justice Im one of them however A part of me feels that MCU X-Men at least parts of it will be quite divisive among the fanbase just a feeling. I look at what the MCU has done with Spiderman and while the movies are popular the characterization and certain other things rub quite a few ppl the wrong way especially in the service of the greater universe....time will tell tho.
    I think fans are right to be cautious. I do think some of the changes to the MCU Spider-Man were good, others not so much, and others still weren't good or bad. I also think, while the Fox-Men had many good moments, they can be heavily improved on.