Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Man can also be used in a gender neutral context. In other languages the word for "man" can also be a gender neutral person depending on context...you have like a super valuable trademark in X-Men, you should use it....
    I kinda wonder if this move is being done with actually consulting with gender scholars on this, because yes, "man" can have that general sense like "mankind" to encompass an entire people; gender scholars would be the first to point it out. On the contrary, Marvel Studios has some history with overstepping/overcompensating and messing up anyway because while they tried to be conscious, they didn't ask the people at the center of that representation (e.g. using a lot of Asian imagery and themes without consulting Asian scholars led to some backlash for both Doctor Strange and Iron Fist, which in turn ensured that Marvel didn't repeat those same mistakes with Black Panther, and now Shang-Chi; Star Trek had a similar problem in consulting a white guy-masquerading-as-Native American, and not an expert of Native American descent, in creating Chakotay in Voyager).

This is likely my own bubble and changing the name of the X-Men to me isn't that big of a deal, but in feminist, LGBTQ, gender circles I've seen, I've never seen a complaint against the name X-Men from a gender standpoint, and moreso, the X-Men as a brand tends to resonate a lot with those circles because of common minority themes. Sure, "X-Women" has been used before, but that's more of a unique identifier within an entire brand and franchise.

My point being: I'd bet that if Marvel asked gender scholars and activists if they have a problem with the name "X-Men" from a gender standpoint, they'd not only say there's no problem with it, but that the name should be kept.

X-People (10 char)
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    they are trying to erase that but yeah, men has always been synonymous with human beings or the human race.

It would not have mattered here if disney really knows the comics. the female characters in xmen are more interesting than the males. Additionally the word mutants, though very iconic to xmen is not only used in x-men.
    Since this is the case...

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    It’s a working title. Stan Lee wanted to call the book “the mutants” before they decided on X-Men.
    We can pretty safely establish that Disney "Knows The Comics..."

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post

I mean come on people, does anyone honestly believe the Disney corporation is gonna take one of the most marketable names in the superhero genre and be like “nah”?

For the sake of being gender-neutral? The same company that made billions with Iron MAN and Spider-MAN?

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    I mean come on people, does anyone honestly believe the Disney corporation is gonna take one of the most marketable names in the superhero genre and be like “nah”?

For the sake of being gender-neutral? The same company that made billions with Iron MAN and Spider-MAN?
    They can make the "The Mutants" and the "X-men" doesn't that sound like a Disney move to get every ounce it can from the property?

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    They can make the "The Mutants" and the "X-men" doesn't that sound like a Disney move to get every ounce it can from the property?
    I guess it's in-line with "The Eternals" (or wait, is it just "Eternals?").

Incredible Member

Let's not quick to assume they are "debranding" the X-men. The Mutants is probably just a general term for the introduction of mutants to the MCU, before the X-men are properly formed.

It would be kinda silly to jump to gun and run with the idea they are changing the X-men name in order to be gender neutral when there's only little info, they haven't said anything and it's all just rumblings at this point. It will only just get people on the net riled up and outraged for no reason.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I kinda wonder if this move is being done with actually consulting with gender scholars on this, because yes, "man" can have that general sense like "mankind" to encompass an entire people; gender scholars would be the first to point it out. On the contrary, Marvel Studios has some history with overstepping/overcompensating and messing up anyway because while they tried to be conscious, they didn't ask the people at the center of that representation (e.g. using a lot of Asian imagery and themes without consulting Asian scholars led to some backlash for both Doctor Strange and Iron Fist, which in turn ensured that Marvel didn't repeat those same mistakes with Black Panther, and now Shang-Chi; Star Trek had a similar problem in consulting a white guy-masquerading-as-Native American, and not an expert of Native American descent, in creating Chakotay in Voyager).

This is likely my own bubble and changing the name of the X-Men to me isn't that big of a deal, but in feminist, LGBTQ, gender circles I've seen, I've never seen a complaint against the name X-Men from a gender standpoint, and moreso, the X-Men as a brand tends to resonate a lot with those circles because of common minority themes. Sure, "X-Women" has been used before, but that's more of a unique identifier within an entire brand and franchise.

My point being: I'd bet that if Marvel asked gender scholars and activists if they have a problem with the name "X-Men" from a gender standpoint, they'd not only say there's no problem with it, but that the name should be kept.
    This sounds more like a big external commentary that belongs more in classic star trek or classic x-men, I guess i should start using the term to distinguish it from MCU X-Men.

If there is any real gender commentary, it should take place inside the series, aka like gender dysphoria that was already touched upon in some xmen tas episodes.

Despite how progressive you think things have gotten, this change just tries to take too much away while failing at it. X-MEN, stands for something powerful , while mutants feels a little flimsy. X-Men already makes everything anonymous since the series had so many wonderful female characters, the brand's relationship to many minority themes will be better keeping the title of x-men, than mutants.

Also I like that X-Men refers still to the race of men, the race of evolving men.

Additionally if they just go for mutants, MCU can really hurt themself because the mutant part of xmen focused more on the hard science fiction part of genetics and sometimes maybe pseudo science, those kind of themes, Disney cannot handle those sort of themes and stories without it not coming off as extremely shallow, at least with X-Men you can still play the game of ....it's a superhero flick not some science fiction stuff which is what the first 2 fox films leaned towards too.
    Last edited by Castle; 03-05-2021 at 01:38 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post

Stan Lee went for x-men because he had already taken so much from doom patrol's mutants. I hope MCU fans know that X-men was originally a rip off of DC doom patrol.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    If renaming X-Men turns out to be the worst thing about this movie, I think we can all consider it a win.
    Who is we?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Morph View Post
    Let's not quick to assume they are "debranding" the X-men. The Mutants is probably just a general term for the introduction of mutants to the MCU, before the X-men are properly formed.

It would be kinda silly to jump to gun and run with the idea they are changing the X-men name in order to be gender neutral when there's only little info, they haven't said anything and it's all just rumblings at this point. It will only just get people on the net riled up and outraged for no reason.
    Plus the entire film's existence is a rumor, it just goes to show people really can't stop to think or be even the slightest bit objective.
    Like come on if you really think Disney is gonna pass up using the huge brand name that is "X-Men" well you have to be high, because Disney like every other company in the world likes money, and they like it a lot, far too much to not use the name "X-Men"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel Runner View Post
    Plus the entire film's existence is a rumor, it just goes to show people really can't stop to think or be even the slightest bit objective.
    Like come on if you really think Disney is gonna pass up using the huge brand name that is "X-Men" well you have to be high, because Disney like every other company in the world likes money, and they like it a lot, far too much to not use the name "X-Men"
    I don't think disney ever will but I would not be surprised if they do.

Has Zandaya's character in the Spiderman films ever been called Mary Jane or is she still Michelle Jones and will they ever call her Mary Jane. Additionally this is the problem of gender swapping or race swapping characters, the studios like to do it half-hazardly, I have already said this on the Superman reboot thread, if they want black superman, then his parents must be black too, I am not buying the white people adopt black kids, because guess what, black people also adopt black kids and sometimes white kids.

There is a part of me that will favour just mutants though. the mutants term will be more justifiable when disney starts all the dumbing down of xmen stories in their films. Calling it mutants, will be like a reboot of The Mutant X tv show, which was indeed just light X-Men and that is what Disney films are mostly going to be.... light x-men. so the mutants title suits that since while xmen is already well known for having a more darker gritter heavier tone, the mutants title doesn't really have that.

BANNED

Are you seriously trying to compare one character, a character who's a supporting cast member to entire franchise?

This rumour is absurdly insubstantial, but at least it's outrage fuel for the poor benighted folk for whom gender neutrality is somehow an existential threat.

That is all I have to say about this matter
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

better than Wolverine and the X-Men

i'm so hyped to see them leading the fase in the future, especially a proper phoenix jean