Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Using a “Mutants” TV show to gradually unveil them before the X-Men and others can step in to defend them could genuinely work wonders, playing with the way they could be ostracized, desperate, and pretty to malevolent forces.

That would also allow the X-Men’s appearance to be a triumphant moment, but also allow a Brotherhood to match them in terms of seemingly like a desperate hope for survival.
    Alternatively, it could focus on side mutants who aren't affiliated officially with the X-Men, or who are more tangential to it.

I actually kind of hope they announce a different name purely so we don’t have to keep posting about it in a thread with such an “old man yells at cloud” title.

BANNED

Using a “Mutants” TV show to gradually unveil them before the X-Men and others can step in to defend them could genuinely work wonders, playing with the way they could be ostracized, desperate, and pretty to malevolent forces.

That would also allow the X-Men’s appearance to be a triumphant moment, but also allow a Brotherhood to match them in terms of seemingly like a desperate hope for survival.
    I dont even think there needs to be movies because of the too many characters constant problem. One fan out there will always be disappointed that their favourite did not get any spotlight.

just do a tv show. maybe put some on hulu and the others on disney plus. but I know I am only dreaming with this one.

I really like this approach. I love the idea of the mutants not being introduced in a movie. Flesh out the world, how the mutants are treated and why they live in such fear and why humans fear them so much. Then do an xmen/Xforce/Xwhatever movie.

I like the first Xmen movie but I went to see it with my friend who was not a fan of the comics and didnt read them. he left saying why do people fear these mutants more then Spiderman or The Hulk? Why is being a mutant so bad but a gamma powered rage monster okay?
    Last edited by babyblob; 03-07-2021 at 05:28 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I really like this approach. I love the idea of the mutants not being introduced in a movie. Flesh out the world, how the mutants are treated and why they live in such fear and why humans fear them so much. Then do an xmen/Xforce/Xwhatever movie.

I like the first Xmen movie but I went to see it with my friend who was not a fan of the comics and didnt read them. he left saying why do people fear these mutants more then Spiderman or The Hulk? Why is being a mutant so bad but a gamma powered rage monster okay?
    I ask that question to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post

Its one I havnt found a good answer to. Like one person said well a mutant could be anyone. They could be right next to you. Well Spiderman wears a mask. he could be right next to you out of his mask and you would not know. Same with Daredevil, or any of the other masked heroes.

Then I heard well a mutant could be next to you and he could have another mutant attack him or his powers go off.

Well everyone knows the Human Torch, but what if while in public he is attacked the FrightFul For? What is The Wizard or Doom make a device that makes his powers go haywire in public?

Tony Stark speaking at a high school tech class? Attacked by a villain or his armor could be over ridden even though people know who he is in public.

So what makes them any better or safer then mutants. yet mutants get all the over blown hate. Like man everyone hates them. Like a crowd of normal people all the sudden turn into an uncontrollable mob when they find out a mutant is among them. like woman pushing a stroller abandons her baby to throw a bottle at the mutant type crap.

Hey Marvel writers I have news for you. The single mother working two jobs to pay for food for her baby could care less about a guy who can make ice. Before the mutant meds like years ago the midwest guy who has never seen a mutant could care less about a woman who could phase through walls in New York when he is trying to pay for his wife's cancer meds.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Ultimate Member

Its one I havnt found a good answer to. Like one person said well a mutant could be anyone. They could be right next to you. Well Spiderman wears a mask. he could be right next to you out of his mask and you would not know. Same with Daredevil, or any of the other masked heroes.

Then I heard well a mutant could be next to you and he could have another mutant attack him or his powers go off.

Well everyone knows the Human Torch, but what if while in public he is attacked the FrightFul For? What is The Wizard or Doom make a device that makes his powers go haywire in public?

Tony Stark speaking at a high school tech class? Attacked by a villain or his armor could be over ridden even though people know who he is in public.

So what makes them any better or safer then mutants. yet mutants get all the over blown hate. Like man everyone hates them. Like a crowd of normal people all the sudden turn into an uncontrollable mob when they find out a mutant is among them. like woman pushing a stroller abandons her baby to throw a bottle at the mutant type crap.

Hey Marvel writers I have news for you. The single mother working two jobs to pay for food for her baby could care less about a guy who can make ice. Before the mutant meds like years ago the midwest guy who has never seen a mutant could care less about a woman who could phase through walls in New York when he is trying to pay for his wife's cancer meds.
    I know it's based on real world racism, but that racism is based on centuries of colonialist propaganda and fear.

I think it's reasonable to fear your kid becoming a mutant and not being able to control their powers. But escalating it to repeated genocides is a bit of a stretch

That's why I hope MCU will forego all that for the most part. I don't need the X-Men to constantly be attacked

I know it's based on real world racism, but that racism is based on centuries of colonialist propaganda and fear.

I think it's reasonable to fear your kid becoming a mutant and not being able to control their powers. But escalating it to repeated genocides is a bit of a stretch

That's why I hope MCU will forego all that for the most part. I don't need the X-Men to constantly be attacked
    I get the metaphor. Thats fine. Take the metaphor away and it is lazy goofy story telling. Like Spiderman when he first appeared didnt tell anyone he was not a mutant and he was fine (Got some hate but not Xmen level) Same with Daredevil he was fine. Yet the word mutant drove people nuts.

Doom tried to take over the world and its oh hum. Magneto does it its awful because he is a mutant.

Hell I would be scared of them all to be honest. I love comics. But man I do not want to live in that world.
    Last edited by babyblob; 03-07-2021 at 06:59 PM.

BANNED

Hell I would be scared of them all to be honest. I love comics. But man I do not want to live in that world.
    I don't think any of us really do. Unfortunately we all do. Mutants are the fictional target of real world idiots that support Donald Trump and Boris Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    I don't think any of us really do. Unfortunately we all do. Mutants are the fictional target of real world idiots that support Donald Trump and Boris Johnson.
    See I rarely go that deep. I just love the stories. I do think about it times but it kills the fun so i stop.

Ultimate Member

I get the metaphor. Thats fine. Take the metaphor away and it is lazy goofy story telling. Like Spiderman when he first appeared didnt tell anyone he was not a mutant and he was fine (Got some hate but not Xmen level) Same with Daredevil he was fine. Yet the word mutant drove people nuts.

Doom tried to take over the world and its oh hum. Magneto does it its awful because he is a mutant.

I don't feel the metaphor really makes it more logical. It's just a way to reference the civil rights struggle while making it palatable to white Americans

Astonishing Member

Before it used to be the allegorical reference to gay rights (the 60s I think it was more about racism), but in modern times I feel the argument can be made that you have people out there who develop a wide range of powers and you don't know who they are. Senator Kelly makes this argument in the film when he talks about mind readers and girls who can phase through walls "what is stopping her walking into a vault at a bank or straight into the white house."

Most of the Avengers there was a degree of trust - Captain America is a revered soldier and war hero, Iron Man was the bodyguard of Tony Stark and headed security at Stark Industries/Enterprises, Hawkeye was a criminal but Cap vouched for him when he joined the Avengers (likewise Wanda and Pietro who WERE considered terrorists). Spidey was one person who was perceived as a menace by one papers smear campaign and the Hulk was deemed a very big threat to the point the military set up a entire operation to hunt him down.

In the real world we are much more accommodating to those who are different. But there are still deep seated prejudices that linger to this day and likely won't ever fully go away. While it seems silly to ostracized mutants given the other super powered individuals that populate the Marvel Universe, I can see why ordinary people in that world would fear mutants. Just because these are people who wield extraordinary powers and are unchecked. It doesn't help that most powers develop during puberty as well. Imagine living in a apartment block and a pre-pubescent kid suddenly has his pyrokinetic powers flare up and he blows the building up. Incidents such as those would be enough to scare anybody.
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 03-07-2021 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Before it used to be the allegorical reference to gay rights (the 60s I think it was more about racism), but in modern times I feel the argument can be made that you have people out there who develop a wide range of powers and you don't know who they are. Senator Kelly makes this argument in the film when he talks about mind readers and girls who can phase through walls "what is stopping her walking into a vault at a bank or straight into the white house."

Most of the Avengers there was a degree of trust - Captain America is a revered soldier and war hero, Iron Man was the bodyguard of Tony Stark and headed security at Stark Industries/Enterprises, Hawkeye was a criminal but Cap vouched for him when he joined the Avengers (likewise Wanda and Pietro who WERE considered terrorists). Spidey was one person who was perceived as a menace by one papers smear campaign and the Hulk was deemed a very big threat to the point the military set up a entire operation to hunt him down.

In the real world we are much more accommodating to those who are different. But there are still deep seated prejudices that linger to this day and likely won't ever fully go away. While it seems silly to ostracized mutants given the other super powered individuals that populate the Marvel Universe, I can see why ordinary people in that world would fear mutants. Just because these are people who wield extraordinary powers and are unchecked. It doesn't help that most powers develop during puberty as well. Imagine living in a apartment block and a pre-pubescent kid suddenly has his pyrokinetic powers flare up and he blows the building up. Incidents such as those would be enough to scare anybody.
    By that logic human should also be afraid of teenagers with powers, They are two notable events Stamford event and current event that caused Kamala law to passed that proves superhumans with powers are dangerous. The issue isn't with people being afraid of mutants , The Issue is they are other superhumans running around doing stuff just as scary. Earth has been attacked by Gods/Demons, Aliens, and Aliens again(and Hydra). We are supposed to believe that the people who irrational hate mutants are nuanced enough to give a pass to Thor,Dr Strange or Captain Marvel for example. This one area where DC is better because everyone lumped together, I love what X-men can do as a metaphor but the hate of mutants vastly overdone.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    By that logic human should also be afraid of teenagers with powers, They are two notable events Stamford event and current event that caused Kamala law to passed that proves superhumans with powers are dangerous. The issue isn't with people being afraid of mutants , The Issue is they are other superhumans running around doing stuff just as scary. Earth has been attacked by Gods/Demons, Aliens, and Aliens again(and Hydra). We are supposed to believe that the people who irrational hate mutants are nuanced enough to give a pass to Thor,Dr Strange or Captain Marvel for example. This one area where DC is better because everyone lumped together, I love what X-men can do as a metaphor but the hate of mutants vastly overdone.
    I think the fear comes from not knowing who will get those powers. I don't think that's unreasonable, but it's a bit overblown considering most mutants aren't really that dangerous (if I'm not mistaken). Plus all the horrible actions by various governments towards mutants and non-mutants should make the public hate them too.

But I feel it would really not work in the MCU when the Avengers are respected, though not liked by everyone. Plus, with the influx of so many diverse characters in the next phase, the metaphor may not even be necessary.

It isn't that mutants can just be anyone. It's that plus they are "replacing humans". They aren't freak accident you can keep track of. Also Hulk/Spider-Man and some other mutates get a ton of hate in the marvel 616 universe. Mutants can be anyone at anytime, and they are becoming more and more common. Why marvel didn't change the status quo once Muatans became rare after Wanda's shenanigans... that I can't answer. They weren't being born anymore and the numbers were real low. But prior it's as if they were replacing homosapiens. Other heroes are mostly isolated incidents. When it comes down to it,it's still comic logic you have to roll with. It's way less silly then people not immediately recognizing Clark Kent as Superman or villians constantly murdering people and then breaking out of prison shortly after. In a never ending loop.