Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Krypto the Super-Dog

I'm a dog lover so I really love this character. I'm reading a few stories of him and Silver Age Clark and they have a really sweet relationship. Does he appear again Post Crisis?

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    I'm a dog lover so I really love this character. I'm reading a few stories of him and Silver Age Clark and they have a really sweet relationship. Does he appear again Post Crisis?
    Variations, but it isn't until the past few years that what you read about then has reappeared. He has been in Supergirl most recently and will be in the new Supergirl mini series.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Yes, Krypto was reintroduced in the early 2000s and has appeared semi-regularly ever since.

In addition to the CGI Krypto and the Super-Pets movie coming out this year, Krypto will be appearing in the upcoming Supergirl series

Yep. He was in Loeb’s Superman/Batman arc which reintroduced Kara, and that’s the first time I remember seeing him. I think Loeb was the one who brought Krypto back as well, or at least during that era is when he reappeared.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

how many animals on Krypton resembled earth animals at this point? Was that ever explained? or "it's just comics"...?

sidebar: Is krypto neutered?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Yes, Krypto was reintroduced in the early 2000s and has appeared semi-regularly ever since.

In addition to the CGI Krypto and the Super-Pets movie coming out this year, Krypto will be appearing in the upcoming Supergirl series
    Yay! Good boy, Krypto! Now stay!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Did you know Krypto had his own cartoon?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yep. He was in Loeb’s Superman/Batman arc which reintroduced Kara, and that’s the first time I remember seeing him. I think Loeb was the one who brought Krypto back as well, or at least during that era is when he reappeared.
    He was reintroduced in the Return to Krypton storyline and came back in Loeb's Superman run. He even got a spotlight issue drawn by Dale Keown.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    how many animals on Krypton resembled earth animals at this point? Was that ever explained? or "it's just comics"...?
    Well Superman looks so much like a human being that he can walk among us as Clark Kent and no one sees the difference. So if you can accept that, then it should follow you can accept other animal analogues on Krypton.

Elliot S! Maggin wrote "Starwinds Howl"--a short story about Krypto that explains details about these white beasts that lived on the planet and helped the humanoids adapt to the harsh environment.

It seems to me that the amazing thing about Krypton in the 1960s comics is that the beasts were not exactly the same as Earth animals. They had some similarity but they were distinctive creatures. Like in "The Dynamic Duo of Kandor," SUPERMAN'S PAL, JIMMY OLSEN 69 (June 1963), the Super-Outlaw uses a Telepathic Hound to hunt down Nightwing and Flamebird. This creature looks kind of like a dog, but also kind of not like a dog. Even its paws are more like hands.

Yet if you look at the animals from Krypton in the 1950s--notably Krypto, King Krypton and Beppo--they all resemble Earth animals. So this might indicate a shift in editorial thinking from the 1950s to the 1960s, where Krypton goes from simply being a futuristic version of Earth and not all that different, to being a more developed science fiction concept, with all manner of weird phenomena that we don't have on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Did you know Krypto had his own cartoon?
    I loved the Krypto cartoon as a child.

And the opening is still really good:

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    I loved the Krypto cartoon as a child.

And the opening is still really good:

Well, now this song is officially stuck in my head.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Retired

Crypt-Hog? Is that what they're singing?

Frankly, I'm at the point where I'd like the live action movies to adapt Krypto in a Superman movie. Not comedic, not too serious, just normal silly grounded lovable real world "who's a good puppy" stuff with superpowers. No going edgy with him zapping cats to atoms, no cartoon cgi wink wink that'll make the parents groan, just family friendly Superman and his Superdog fun for all ages done competently. Better than doing Superman's origin for the upteenth time.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

I'm a huge Krypto fan! I want the writers to show him thinking more and maybe have Superman invent a device that would enable him to talk.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Frankly, I'm at the point where I'd like the live action movies to adapt Krypto in a Superman movie. Not comedic, not too serious, just normal silly grounded lovable real world "who's a good puppy" stuff with superpowers. No going edgy with him zapping cats to atoms, no cartoon cgi wink wink that'll make the parents groan, just family friendly Superman and his Superdog fun for all ages done competently. Better than doing Superman's origin for the upteenth time.
    I would love to see Krypto in a movie