Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    The feeling following Man of Steel was that its somewhat disappointing box office and lukewarm reception had less to do with Snyder and more to do with Superman himself, as well as that the DCEU needed to catch up to the MCU. So Batman was brought in.

They already had the script for MoS 2 completed but shoehorned Batman into it, resulting in Batman v Superman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah I think Snyder even said originally this wasn’t envisioned as a cinematic universe, just a Superman trilogy. But then MoS underperformed, Avengers broken records, and WB execs decided they wanted some of that too.
    This is untrue/inaccurate. The announcement that the MoS follow up would have featured Batman and Superman was made only 4 weeks after the MoS release and included a BvS logo reveal. That alone suggests the movie was already in advanced development at that point. The project started during the post-production of MoS, after they were discussing a potential antagonist for the sequel and Snyder suggested BM.

From Jay Oliva: "Back in April 2013 (before MoS released in June) I was tasked with doing the Superman 75 short. I met with Zack who was the exec producer on it and he showed me storyboards of BvS with Batman already in it. AND it was a Batman from DKR. I know this as fact because I was there and I remember it very clearly because I was sad that I may not get the opportunity to work on a film that used Miller’s DKR as an influence. Because well you know, I kinda did a little film that did just that. So how could it be revisionist history if the plan for the following films were already planned BEFORE the release the MoS? Now was there a plan to do a sequel when Goyer and Nolan wrote it? I don’t know for sure but you can bet your ass that prior to June there was a plan"
    https://twitter.com/jayoliva1/status/987930376965210113

Also, a day before MoS release, David S. Goyer hinted at BvS/JL in an interview and BM entering into the picture because of the collateral damage at the end of MoS: "Well, yes… there’s definitely… I don’t want to get too in depth. Obviously, Zack and I have had conversations… but there would be a cause and effect. And that would extend to the collateral damage that happened, and to what other countries feel about the fact Superman calls America his home. Man of Steel doesn’t exist in a vaccum."
    https://collider.com/man-of-steel-ju...e-david-goyer/
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 03-08-2021 at 08:08 AM.

BANNED

Lois is a SECONDARY character Superman is the main one, all the other characters in his universe are to make the universe grow and advance, the main concern is Superman. Lois is not treated in the best way, but besides the pregnancy there is nothing wrong about how they write her, she is the classic Lois, who is attracted to every man she meets, the same one who flirts with Bruce at the slightest opportunity , in comics, series and animation, for a long time superman deserves someone better than a SECONDARY character and love interest who seems to love him because there is no one better.

Spectacular Member Kara Danvers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    Lois is a SECONDARY character Superman is the main one, all the other characters in his universe are to make the universe grow and advance, the main concern is Superman. Lois is not treated in the best way, but besides the pregnancy there is nothing wrong about how they write her, she is the classic Lois, who is attracted to every man she meets, the same one who flirts with Bruce at the slightest opportunity , in comics, series and animation, for a long time superman deserves someone better than a SECONDARY character and love interest who seems to love him because there is no one better.
    Superman & Lois are the OTP. There is no one better for Superman than her.

Snyder treats Lois badly because he turns her into a baby maker for the man who tried to kill her boyfriend who then lies about it. Lois's arc is to create the next Batman.
    Last edited by Kara Danvers; 03-08-2021 at 05:51 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Danvers View Post
    Superman & Lois are the OTP. There is no one better for Superman than her.

Snyder treats Lois badly because he turns her into a baby maker for the man who tried to kill her boyfriend who then lies about it. Lois's arc is to create the next Batman.
    Good thing JL was badly received cuz someone would green-lit that crap.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

You've complained about the mismanagement of Superman but won't afford Lois Lane, the second most important character in Superman's mythology the same courtesy? Lois Lane has been there from day one and there's never been anyone better suited for the role she's occupied as long as Superman has been in existence. Reducing her down to misogynistic tropes will never change that fact. She may not be a hero in tights but her relevance is not lesser for it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    You've complained about the mismanagement of Superman but won't afford Lois Lane, the second most important character in Superman's mythology the same courtesy? Lois Lane has been there from day one and there's never been anyone better suited for the role she's occupied as long as Superman has been in existence. Reducing her down to misogynistic tropes will never change that fact. She may not be a hero in tights but her relevance is not lesser for it.
    Yup.

Also, this is exactly the kind of thing I was referring to the other day. The misogyny and cruelty towards Lois in this fandom is pervasive and gross. It’s been a problem for decades and we’ve all just kind of dealt with it the best we can but we’ve hit a breaking point now in 2021 where I think more and more people are just waking the hell up to inappropriate it is to talk about women this way—even fictional ones. Reducing her to misogynist tropes is disgusting as is this undercurrent that she’s some kind of unworthy slut which has been pervasive for literally decades. I am so beyond tired of this ****.

Zero tolerance policy anymore for the way some people in this fandom treat Lois. Zero tolerance. Too little, too late. Misogyny is ugly, toxic and has no place in Superman.

I’m angry at Zack Snyder for setting Lois up in this script for exactly this kind of treatment. I’m tired of her being treated this way by men clearly working out their own issues.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 03-08-2021 at 07:20 AM.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

So I guess Snyder is a big Star Wars fan. I recall seeing or reading about a preliminary script of Revenge of the Sith where Obi Wan had an affair with Padme, which in turn pissed off Anakin and fed his hatred for Kenobi on an even greater scale. Seems too much of a coincidence, I wonder if Snyder piggybacked on that (terrible) idea.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    Don't know where you got that idea from??? Batman a repressed homosexual!! That's a real reach!!

BANNED

Full confession. Despite all my frustration with this and my intense belief now that Snyder was the wrong person to ever touch Superman or Lois Lane....I’m still planning to watch the Snyder cut because there were things in Batman vs Superman that I genuinely liked and I want to see their resolution in Justice League. I just have to put this mess out of my head.

BANNED

Since the silver age, Lois's interest in Batman is something very common, it is not something that I made up or an insult. In series like Smallville he dated half JL, in Lois and Clark he dated Lex, in the animated series he almost left metropolis to go with Batman, in the comics it is even worse. the reality is that Lois doesn't think much about it when it comes to choosing a partner. Clark is always madly in love while Lois is looking, it would be good if things change, I prefer clark with Maxima or Lashina, the stories would surely be more interesting than another comic about the puppy Clark and his owner Lois.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    This is untrue/inaccurate. The announcement that the MoS follow up would have featured Batman and Superman was made only 4 weeks after the MoS release and included a BvS logo reveal. That alone suggests the movie was already in advanced development at that point. The project started during the post-production of MoS, after they were discussing a potential antagonist for the sequel and Snyder suggested BM.

From Jay Oliva: "Back in April 2013 (before MoS released in June) I was tasked with doing the Superman 75 short. I met with Zack who was the exec producer on it and he showed me storyboards of BvS with Batman already in it. AND it was a Batman from DKR. I know this as fact because I was there and I remember it very clearly because I was sad that I may not get the opportunity to work on a film that used Miller’s DKR as an influence. Because well you know, I kinda did a little film that did just that. So how could it be revisionist history if the plan for the following films were already planned BEFORE the release the MoS? Now was there a plan to do a sequel when Goyer and Nolan wrote it? I don’t know for sure but you can bet your ass that prior to June there was a plan"
    https://twitter.com/jayoliva1/status/987930376965210113

Also, a day before MoS release, David S. Goyer hinted at BvS/JL in an interview and BM entering into the picture because of the collateral damage at the end of MoS: "Well, yes… there’s definitely… I don’t want to get too in depth. Obviously, Zack and I have had conversations… but there would be a cause and effect. And that would extend to the collateral damage that happened, and to what other countries feel about the fact Superman calls America his home. Man of Steel doesn’t exist in a vaccum."
    https://collider.com/man-of-steel-ju...e-david-goyer/
    That's not accurate either. WB announced Snyder & Goyer would return for MOS II in June 2013. It was July 2013 - after the lukewarm critical response and box office to MOS - that it was announced the sequel would feature Batman. It was nearly a year later it was announced that MOS II was essentially becoming a Justice League prologue and Batman's moniker was included in the title of the film.

So with all due respect to Jay Oliva, and I'm sure there were discussions prior to MOS about its sequel and including Batman, Superman got progressively pushed aside once it became clear MOS wasn't going to be the billion-dollar movie WB initially projected it to be, in addition to the critical response.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Also, while Jay Oliva is insistent that this happened in April 2013, I'm confident based on the timeline of events he probably means April 2014, because Batman v Superman was announced the following month and filming began later that year.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

That's not accurate either. WB announced Snyder & Goyer would return for MOS II in June 2013. It was July 2013 - after the lukewarm critical response and box office to MOS - that it was announced the sequel would feature Batman. It was nearly a year later it was announced that MOS II was essentially becoming a Justice League prologue and Batman's moniker was included in the title of the film.

So with all due respect to Jay Oliva, and I'm sure there were discussions prior to MOS about its sequel and including Batman, Superman got progressively pushed aside once it became clear MOS wasn't going to be the billion-dollar movie WB initially projected it to be, in addition to the critical response.
    The MoS sequel would've featured an old grizzled Batman since 2012 for those who followed the rumors. The sequel that was fast-tracked in June 2013 is what ended being titled BvS, it never was a solo SM movie as WB wanted to build their own cinematic universe like Marvel and Snyder's suggesting to have BM as main antagonist in the MoS sequel gave them the opportunity to start. While I agree that SM got further sidelined, they never introduced BM or did JL because of the MoS reception, this is an unfounded speculation.

Also, while Jay Oliva is insistent that this happened in April 2013, I'm confident based on the timeline of events he probably means April 2014, because Batman v Superman was announced the following month and filming began later that year.
    C'mon, he is debunking the speculations that BM was introduced after MoS release. He said he was called to work at the Superman 75th short when he saw the BvS storyboard. The Superman 75th short was made in 2013 not in 2014 as you are saying.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 03-08-2021 at 09:40 AM.

Since the silver age, Lois's interest in Batman is something very common, it is not something that I made up or an insult. In series like Smallville he dated half JL, in Lois and Clark he dated Lex, in the animated series he almost left metropolis to go with Batman, in the comics it is even worse. the reality is that Lois doesn't think much about it when it comes to choosing a partner. Clark is always madly in love while Lois is looking, it would be good if things change, I prefer clark with Maxima or Lashina, the stories would surely be more interesting than another comic about the puppy Clark and his owner Lois.
    WB hasn't been great about giving Lois normal ex-boyfriends. I thought that was the one redeeming trait about that otherwise-useless Jonathan Carroll character.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song.
    This could be one of the peaks of an increasingly hilarious series of comments about an increasingly ridiculous situation. May I put it in my signature?
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021