Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast

So can someone to me explain how is this serving Batman? Bruce's genetic line is dead, Batfamily does not take over, instead it is Superman's son who takes over because he has no powers. What Batman fan is supposed to like in this?

Incredible Member

You're right. It's an attempt to mix the legacy of the two biggest DC heroes that ends up diminishing both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    So can someone to me explain how is this serving Batman? Bruce's genetic line is dead, Batfamily does not take over, instead it is Superman's son who takes over because he has no powers. What Batman fan is supposed to like in this?
    It along with the sacrifice solidifies him as the main hero of the story and is the tie-up to his story, his arc. He's the one to stop the threat at the expense of his own life, and his mantle is the one to be carried on into the next generation. Are Batman fans supposed to like it? I don't know, that's up to them. But its intent within the narrative is clear.

I'm not saying I would have preferred another dumbass kid taking the Superman title either. I would prefer it as an element that would just go away altogether. But its usage here serves Batman's arc.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-18-2021 at 03:40 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Does the kid even want to be a superhero? It sounds like they'd be dumping this on him.

"But mom, I wanted to be a dancer..."

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    Man of Steel set up Clark to have children with Lois specifically as a way to continue the Kryptonian line and as a beautiful bridge between two cultures to form a new future. Jor-El wants him to have kids with a human in a stark contrast to the “you have to be alone” BS of Superman 2. Russell Crowe talked about it in interviews that that was absolutely the intention and part of why Jor-El actually helped Lois on the ship.
    Now, *that* has potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    The moment WB let Snyder have Bruce was the moment any real story arc and character growth wasn't on the plans for Superman anymore.
    Yep. As much as I hated MoS, it's sequel *could* have redeemed it in hindsight, and I even said so at the time. But that was absolutely not going to happen, clearly.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Man of Steel set up Clark to have children with Lois specifically as a way to continue the Kryptonian line and as a beautiful bridge between two cultures to form a new future. Jor-El wants him to have kids with a human in a stark contrast to the “you have to be alone” BS of Superman 2. Russell Crowe talked about it in interviews that that was absolutely the intention and part of why Jor-El actually helped Lois on the ship.

So the idea that this has now been twisted to serve Batman is just super depressing.
    Krypton is dead. It had its chance.clark burned the bridge.The consequences are permanent.Regradless of what anyone thinks,Bruce Wayne embodies the human.Clark Kent doesn't,if we are by the popular conception.It ain't because of him being an alien and having powers either.The martian is very human.A powerless child becoming batman or the new nightwing is pretty much a bridge between kal el and humanity.Also,both these characters(superman and batman) are basically "superheroes" personified and have common origins.They are similar and came from Zorro.People seem to forget that.batman is mecha superman that broods.Also,bruce kent sounds like something from silverage comics.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-18-2021 at 04:36 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

So the idea that this has now been twisted to serve Batman is just super depressing.
    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Krypton is dead. It had its chance.clark burned the bridge.The consequences are permanent.Regradless of what anyone thinks,Bruce Wayne embodies the human.Clark Kent doesn't,if we are by the popular conception.It ain't because of him being an alien and having powers either.The martian is very human.A powerless child becoming batman or the new nightwing is pretty much a bridge between kal el and humanity.Also,both these characters(superman and batman) are basically "superheroes" personified and have common origins.They are similar and came from Zorro.People seem to forget that.batman is mecha superman.Also,bruce kent sounds like something from silverage comics.
    Lois is human. We don't need Bruce to build the bridge. He can keep his Bat-butt outta this. lol
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    The moment WB let Snyder have Bruce was the moment any real story arc and character growth wasn't on the plans for Superman anymore.
    I've thought of that but never put it into words. But that really captures why BvS failed

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

It was pretty clear from the get-go that Snyder was more interested in Batman than Superman, but that's true of most of the audience, and studio executives in particular. If they'd asked him to make a Superman sequel, I'm sure it would have been about Superman, but the moment Batman comes on board, it's gonna end up being the Batman show because that's all Warner Bros. is interested in, unfortunately.

For what it's worth, I think Snyder gave a satisfying conclusion to his Superman Trilogy here. There are, no doubt, fan edits being crafted at this very moment that will trim down this version of Justice League to remove all the dark alternate Evil Superman nonsense. I look forward to seeing what the fans make of these films in the years to come.

This was never going to be my preferred take on Superman, but I respect the work Adams, Lane, Cavill, Snyder, and others did to try to give a different interpretation on the character. It was certainly more successful for me than Bryan Singer's muddled take (that kickass plane sequence notwithstanding).

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Part of the problem is that Snyder really does sound like a cool guy to work for. Everyone says he's a great boss, he's never been #MeToo'd, and he told some hate group to eff off when they tried to exploit the Snyder Cut. This is everything we say we want in a director. Warners has no reason to get rid of him really. Even Cavill came out to support him. And it's his character that's getting screwed over here! I mean, at least Whedon gave us a Superman/Flash race. At least he kept my favorite line in the movie. When Flash says "I need friends".
    Assassinate Putin!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Part of the problem is that Snyder really does sound like a cool guy to work for. Everyone says he's a great boss, he's never been #MeToo'd, and he told some hate group to eff off when they tried to exploit the Snyder Cut. This is everything we say we want in a director. Warners has no reason to get rid of him really. Even Cavill came out to support him. And it's his character that's getting screwed over here! I mean, at least Whedon gave us a Superman/Flash race. At least he kept my favorite line in the movie. When Flash says "I need friends".
    I appreciate he's a good person to work with, from all accounts, especially after what happened with Whedon

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

This is one of the things that turned me around on Snyder after starting off really disliking him. It was becoming increasingly clear to me that Snyder, despite having different views from myself, was beloved by everyone who worked for him. That says a lot to me. Then I started showing my beloved Superman '78 to my students along with Man of Steel to teach compare and contrast essays. And, man, that made me appreciate what Snyder was attempting to do far more, even if I think his films weren't completely successful in accomplishing what he set out to do.

And all of that is wonderful, really. That should absolutely be lauded.

But they do have a reason to get rid of him: the overall reaction and box office to MoS and BvS. I know already that everyone will say "well, actually.." but WB themselves said that BvS certainly underperformed expectations, and I will forever hold that keeping Snyder wouldn't have meant squat to the box office of JL. In fact, the longer run time would likely have hurt profits due to less screenings.

When Batman can't save your franchise, even hinders it in fact, there's a problem.
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com

BANNED

Art is weird. In the case of Snyder you have someone who on a personal level seems to be pretty decent and certainly inspires a great deal of personal loyalty (it would have been the easiest thing in the world for Affleck, Cavill, Gadot and others to throw him under the bus for their careers) but whose movies don't really seem to reflect his good qualities. It's like the opposite version of the "separate the artist debate" where you have great meaningful works of human compassion and humaneness made by people who in their personal life are total d--ks.

Snyder creates works that are the total opposite of who he is as a person, it seems like.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    And all of that is wonderful, really. That should absolutely be lauded.

But they do have a reason to get rid of him: the overall reaction and box office to MoS and BvS. I know already that everyone will say "well, actually.." but WB themselves said that BvS certainly underperformed expectations, and I will forever hold that keeping Snyder wouldn't have meant squat to the box office of JL. In fact, the longer run time would likely have hurt profits due to less screenings.

When Batman can't save your franchise, even hinders it in fact, there's a problem.
    I have to see the Snyder cut firsr to be sure but I pretty much agree. He doesn't have the right artistic vision for a shared universe.