Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Things You Don't Like in Versions/Runs of Wonder Woman You Do Like

Figured I'd make the opposite of the thread I did from a few days ago. So as per the title, what are some ideas, concepts, or storylines in adaptations or runs of Wonder Woman you otherwise like.

Marsrton
    -There's the obvious stuff from Golden Age comics that's always going to age poorly but for something specific to just GA Wonder Woman, I think Paula Von Gunther's redemption is one of the more dated things about it.

Perez
    -Not sure how much of this is on him but the problems caused with Donna by placing her origin as having occurred after heroes have been a thing for a while.
    -Aging Steve Trevor. 50/50 on this, I can see the logic at the time but I can also see how it ended up shuffling off both him and Etta by later writers

Jimenez
    -The Our Worlds At War tie-in issues aside from Hippolyta's death scene

Rucka (both runs)
    -Cheetah from his first run is probably close to the nadir of the post-Crisis version.
    -The Sacrifice storyline. Like with Perez, not entirely sure how much this is his fault but definitely left a largely negative impact on the character.

DCEU
    -Daddy Zeus
    -I'm not as down on the third act as others but would have preferred if Ares was beaten similar to the ending of Gods and Mortals.

Circe and Etta from Rucka's Rebirth run, as well as toning down Dr. Poison and the whole "Diana goes to an insane asylum" part of the story.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Marston
    - Her falling in love with Steve at first sight
    - the execution of Paula's initial redemption. Gerta comes out of nowhere and seems cheap
    - All the obvious stuff that makes it a dated product of the 1940s

Perez
    - Lack of Amazon technology
    - Changing Steve and Etta as characters and their role in the mythos, while also shoving them into the background
    - the placement in the timeline, and the devastating effect it had on Donna

Rucka
    - Cheetah in the first run. She was one of the stronger components in the second
    - Circe's default look in the second run. It's perfectly fine, just not as the only way she appears
    - Etta's ok, better than Perez's but still doesn't feel like her

Morrison
    - Hercules as the sperm donor
    - the presence of Max Lord at all, even if the third volume made the best of it
    - the attitudes of the Amazons in the first volume. They got better as the books went on

Marston
    - The racist ****, obviously.

Perez
    - Aging up Steve and Etta (who lacks her GA personality) and no longer making Steve a love interest.
    - Needlessly changing Cheetah's name to Barbara Minerva and Silver Swan's name to Valerie Beaudry.
    - Stripping the sass from Diana's personality.

Rucka
    - The first run focuses far too much on Veronica Cale without deserving it.
    - The second run's revamp of Doctor Poison.
    - Etta Candy.
    - That one issue of Godwatch with a guest artist... that art did NOT fit the rest of the run.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Marston
    - Her falling in love with Steve at first sight
    - the execution of Paula's initial redemption. Gerta comes out of nowhere and seems cheap
    - All the obvious stuff that makes it a dated product of the 1940s

Perez
    - Lack of Amazon technology
    - Changing Steve and Etta as characters and their role in the mythos, while also shoving them into the background
    - the placement in the timeline, and the devastating effect it had on Donna
    Same for me, but add Hercules and Hippolyta kissing after they made up. Her forgiving his was fine when you keep in mind they are thousands of years old, but I didn't like that she still had the hots for him after.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Rucka
    - Cheetah in the first run. She was one of the stronger components in the second
    - Circe's default look in the second run. It's perfectly fine, just not as the only way she appears
    - Etta's ok, better than Perez's but still doesn't feel like her.
    Morrison
    -Having Max Lord but not many of her classic villains.

Fantastic Member

I prefer that Aphrodite was the only goddess to magically bring Diana to life and she got her powers from Amazon training.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Same for me, but add Hercules and Hippolyta kissing after they made up. Her forgiving his was fine when you keep in mind they are thousands of years old, but I didn't like that she still had the hots for him after.
    Oh man yeah, that was a doozy

Morrison
    -Having Max Lord but not many of her classic villains.
    Yeah, though I will let it slide a bit because at least they used Psycho, Paula, Deception, Greed and Conquest, and the cameos of Atomia, Badra, Flamina and Celerita were appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Circe and Etta from Rucka's Rebirth run, as well as toning down Dr. Poison and the whole "Diana goes to an insane asylum" part of the story.
    Would it be her outfit because I thought otherwise, Circe wasn’t that different from how she’s usually written?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Would it be her outfit because I thought otherwise, Circe wasn’t that different from how she’s usually written?
    Circe came off as less powerful in Rucka's Rebirth run in my opinion. From what I remember, it seemed like the Olympian Gods were far above her in terms of power to the point where she seemed nervous about meddling with them... and that didn't seem right to me. I see her as being on par with the Olympians, if not stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Circe came off as less powerful in Rucka's Rebirth run in my opinion. From what I remember, it seemed like the Olympian Gods were far above her in terms of power to the point where she seemed nervous about meddling with them... and that didn't seem right to me. I see her as being on par with the Olympians, if not stronger.
    Hmm, well she did trap Phobos and Deimos to their dog forms but that did seem to require setup/careful timing rather than just snapping her fingers. And I guess they're also minor gods when in comparison to the main members of the Pantheon while she didn't seem to want to mess with potentially Ares.
    Last edited by Gaius; 03-21-2021 at 11:46 AM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Messner-Loebs: Loved just about everything except the revolving door of mediocre artists in the middle.

Jimenez: Loved just about everything except Villainy, Inc. It wasn't even that long of an arc, but it felt like it dragged. I've just never been a fan of a lot of WW's Golden/Silver Age foes. :/
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Perez:
    - Steve, Etta and Donnna obv
    - diminishing Aphrodite from Diana's main patron to a side character
    - his Silver Swan is vastly inferior to the original
    - Urzkartaga
    - and if we're gonna bring up the racism in Marston's run then I think it's fair to bring up Chuma and Bana-Mighdall

Messner-Loebs: Hippolyta's character assassination

Jimenez: male Cheetah was ridiculous

Rucka
    - making Cale into Diana's arch-enemy and reducing Poison and Cyber to her henchwomen
    - Barbara was much better in his second run but I still prefer Perez' characterization
    - reducing Ares from Diana's major villain to a complete stranger
    Last edited by Psy-lock; 03-22-2021 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Perez:
    - Steve, Etta and Donnna obv
    - diminishing Aphrodite from Diana's main patron to a side character
    - his Silver Swan is vastly inferior to the original
    - Urzkartaga
    - and if we're gonna bring up the racism in Marston's run then I think it's fair to bring up Chuma and Bana-Mighdall

Messner-Loebs: Hippolyta's character assassination

Jimenez: male Cheetah was ridiculous

Rucka
    - making Cale into Diana's arch-enemy and reducing Poison and Cyber to her henchwomen
    - Barbara was much better in his second run but I still prefer Perez' characterization
    - reducing Ares from Diana's major villain to a complete stranger
    Oh, yeah. I forgot about Male Cheetah for a moment.

Yeah, Rucka was right to have Barbara kill him off-screen when his run started.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Oh, yeah. I forgot about Male Cheetah for a moment.

Yeah, Rucka was right to have Barbara kill him off-screen when his run started.
    He would have been fine as a villain if they didn't give him the Cheetah mantel. After that, you have to kill him off or else it would be a never ending back and forth between who's Cheetah depending on the writer.

Although I don't think anyone liked Ballesteros as Cheetah.

He would have been fine as a villain if they didn't give him the Cheetah mantel. After that, you have to kill him off or else it would be a never ending back and forth between who's Cheetah depending on the writer.

Although I don't think anyone liked Ballesteros as Cheetah.
    He would work better as a Beastiamorph, maybe an unusually powerful one who leads the others

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I feel like Chuma and Perez's Bana still manage to be interesting characters for what they are, whereas there is nothing redeemable about Marston's depictions of POC.

Still far from great though and in need of being overhauled or abandoned completely. I think Rucka made the right call in ditching Chuma in Rebirth. And Marston has the "excuse" (though I'd hate to use that word) of it being published in the 1940s, so you go into it expecting some cringe worthy stuff.