Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I mean, this isn't a Wonder Woman only problem, or even a Patty Jenkins or Snyder director problem.

The MCU seriously nerfs all of its characters compared to their comic counterparts. Captain Marvel was nurfed for 90% of her movie and she could only use her full powers in space, and they somehow made a space battle super boring. When she shows up in Endgame, she's only there for a minute and just flies through the ship while everyone else had much better action scenes.

Dr. Strange had a moment to shine in Infinity War but then was relegated to "holding back water" in Endgame.

WandaVision's final battle was between two super powerful reality altering witches and it culminated to them circling each other in the sky and throwing sparkles at each other... Visions final battle was better but it mostly him phasing through his opponent and through building and stuff so he didn't break everything around him.

I think it's just a matter of setting. In the 3rd movie, have Diana fight an unquestionably evil villain with an unquestionably evil army on Themyscira were there are no civilians to worry about hurting by accident. That way you get a beautiful background and an army of Amazons that Diana doesn't have to worry about because they can take care of themselves.

Edit: I'd say Aquaman got it the closest because most of the fight scenes were free of civilians and took place in large underwater spaces. His one surface fight between himself and black Manta had Aquaman at a near identical power level to WW's No Mans Land scene in the first movie.
    Yea, given the power set of some of these characters, it becomes prohibitively expensive to showcase it fully (and even then, there are limitations - for instance, having a full on battle between Superman and an enemy of his level will result in casualties like in MoS. It's not as big of a deal in comics or animated stuff; part of Metropolis was also destroyed in JLTAS's first episode).

MCU's solution was just down-leveling everyone, but that is also a bit boring, especially when we know how powerful some of these characters actually are (in comics).

AM wasn't too bad - though he did end up hurting a lot of folks when he showed up with the monster. Granted, he was fighting military and trying to stop a full on war...but one side was just defending themselves from Atlantis and its allies, but the monster AM showed up with, wasn't distinguishing between Atlantis/Xebel and other kingdoms.
    Last edited by Triple J; 03-18-2021 at 08:10 AM.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    It's a shame Eisenberg's a good voice for Diana but she's mainly voiced two of the worst versions of the character.

Yeah, wasn't until Gadot I realized Diana should probably have an accent.

Even though there's narration from comics going back years stating she does.
    Jimenez was the first to mention an accent as far as I know and he stated it was just enough to sound exotic, but that doesn't describe Gal's accent to me. Her's is thicker than that, her voice is deeper and raspier than I'd like too, so it took a while for me to get used to it after how perfect I thought Susan Eisenberg was in the role.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Jimenez was the first to mention an accent as far as I know and he stated it was just enough to sound exotic, but that doesn't describe Gal's accent to me. Her's is thicker than that, her voice is deeper and raspier than I'd like too, so it took a while for me to get used to it after how perfect I thought Susan Eisenberg was in the role.
    Actually, George Perez mentioned her accent in his run, specifically in the "Who Killed Myndi Mayer" issue, #20 or 21, I believe.
    Peace and love to ALL!
    Ray
    **=w=**

Quote Originally Posted by rayray1127 View Post
    Actually, George Perez mentioned her accent in his run, specifically in the "Who Killed Myndi Mayer" issue, #20 or 21, I believe.
    I don't remember that, what was the circumstance? Who said it?

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I don't remember that, what was the circumstance? Who said it?
    Ed Indelicato's narration when he first meets Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Ed Indelicato's narration when he first meets Diana.
    Is that the smells like olive oil part I'm remembering as Jimenez? The reason I asked "who said it" wasn't because of doubt, knew Rayray1127 was right, that's where I was thinking it would happen if I forgot. Indelicato's olive oil description is what I recalled in the first place. Now I'm confused and have to go back and reread it.

Okay I'm not crazy. lol That's not the Jimenez olive oil part. Perez was first.

Indelicato.jpg

Almost feel we should have a moment of silence in remembrance for the Post-Crisis costume. lol

It reads like a cheesy romance novel, but not inherently perverted to me.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It reads like a cheesy romance novel, but not inherently perverted to me.
    Yea, the whole story is excerpts from the novel Ed Indelicato is writing at the time. And totally agree with Koriand'r, that post-crisis costume drawn by Perez is just beautiful to behold! I remember the 1st time I saw it, in the Who's Who in the DCU from '87 or '88. That tear out was on my wall til I graduated HS in 2000. ��
    Peace and love to ALL!
    Ray
    **=w=**

You know, this kind of proves how unprepared Warner was for Wonder Woman to be the breakout star of their movies. Like, by the time Justice League came out, hers was the only legitimate success with critics and audiences.

A wise producer would recognize this and try to capitalize. But, too late...Justice League is already finished. So Diana is completely superfluous and made to look like dirt compared to Superman in the first movie, and was planned to be dead for most of the sequel!

Aquaman, too! His movie wound up making over a billion dollars, and their plan to follow-up on that was to kill him off with her until Flash time travels them back!

Lessons to be learned:
    1) don't rush your shared universe
    2) be willing to adjust the story based on audience response
    and
    3) stop assuming Batman and Superman are the only characters who matter

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    You know, this kind of proves how unprepared Warner was for Wonder Woman to be the breakout star of their movies. Like, by the time Justice League came out, hers was the only legitimate success with critics and audiences.

A wise producer would recognize this and try to capitalize. But, too late...Justice League is already finished. So Diana is completely superfluous and made to look like dirt compared to Superman in the first movie, and was planned to be dead for most of the sequel!

Aquaman, too! His movie wound up making over a billion dollars, and their plan to follow-up on that was to kill him off with her until Flash time travels them back!

Lessons to be learned:
    and
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

It's really just Batman who matters as a character.

Superman's in this weird place where he's really important as a plot device, but nothing as a character. At least in the DCEU thus far, I'm not optimistic that this film will change my thoughts on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post

Lessons to be learned:
    and
    Ugh, too true. They would have killed off their money making characters.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It's really just Batman who matters as a character.

Superman's in this weird place where he's really important as a plot device, but nothing as a character. At least in the DCEU thus far, I'm not optimistic that this film will change my thoughts on that.
    Superman and Wonder Woman suffer from the same mischaracterization, but he gets two bigger physical feats than she does (though I honestly count it as just one: I don't consider him being an out of control threat beating up the League to be a feat; I'm tired of him being the problem). But still at the same time he doesn't matter much more than she does from a standpoint of character. Of growth and journey.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El