Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Reception seems mixed but the positive ones are emphatically positive and honestly its what I was expecting. Combine the theatrical cut being terrible in its own right and the extra negative press of the behind the scenes issues, the positive reviews were always going to come out blaring. There's people with hardcore stances one way or another within reviewers just the same as random fans.

All in all doesn't change my opinion in the least that everything I'm hearing is just as awful if not worse than Whedon's take.
    This is what I imagined would happen. If people go into Zack's JL with the pure expectation on comparing it to Whedon's JL its obviously is going to be "better" but that was never a high bar to climb. I'm looking for spoiler reviews tbh, I don't much care for it and I don't plan on giving HBO money to see it.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

I've heard people say it's better than Whedon's cut but I haven't heard anyone say it's a good movie. The Snyder Cut being better doesn't automatically make it good.

I've heard praised for how Wonder Woman is portrait as a brutal warrior... Everyone is entitled to their own version of a character, but I don't understand why people get so upset about Batman casually killing people but love when Wonder Woman casually kills people.

I'm aware that's a relatively small group of the fandom and not the public opinion, who would probably be rather turned off by Diana being that violent. It just bothers me that so many of these DCEU reviewers praise that portal of her.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I've heard people say it's better than Whedon's cut but I haven't heard anyone say it's a good movie. The Snyder Cut being better doesn't automatically make it good.

I've heard praised for how Wonder Woman is portrait as a brutal warrior... Everyone is entitled to their own version of a character, but I don't understand why people get so upset about Batman casually killing people but love when Wonder Woman casually kills people.

I'm aware that's a relatively small group of the fandom and not the public opinion, who would probably be rather turned off by Diana being that violent. It just bothers me that so many of these DCEU reviewers praise that portal of her.
    Diana is “the warrior” in pop culture like how Superman is Jesus and Batman is a nut who likes to beat up poor people for kicks. None of those are true but that’s the pop culture perception of the characters. When Snyder made Batman and Superman kill it prompted a backlash because it went against the perception of the characters. Patty’s been trying to tug Diana into the no-kill perception too, but it’s kind of a lost cause. Between Snyder, Injustice, the animated portrayals, and DC pushing that take in the comics for a long time, you will always have people who think of Diana as the one who kills. Especially since everything radical about the Amazons tends to get stripped away and all you’re left with is just a bunch of warrior women who dislike men and love swords.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    So uh

spoilers:
    At least according to one review, she smashes a terrorists head to jelly slamming him into a wall and blows another to smithereens. The overall reception of the film seems more positive so far, but this sounds awful
    end of spoilers
    Yikes. Whedon's butt shots don't seem so bad now.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post

It's frustrating, but it's hard to blame them. The Wonder Woman most people are familiar with is the one from DCAU, Injustice and the animated movies and she's portrayed as a brutal warrior in the vast majority of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Diana is “the warrior” in pop culture like how Superman is Jesus and Batman is a nut who likes to beat up poor people for kicks. None of those are true but that’s the pop culture perception of the characters. When Snyder made Batman and Superman kill it prompted a backlash because it went against the perception of the characters. Patty’s been trying to tug Diana into the no-kill perception too, but it’s kind of a lost cause. Between Snyder, Injustice, the animated portrayals, and DC pushing that take in the comics for a long time, you will always have people who think of Diana as the one who kills. Especially since everything radical about the Amazons tends to get stripped away and all you’re left with is just a bunch of warrior women who dislike men and love swords.
    I don't think it's a lost cause at all because I don't think it is the public perception of Diana. No matter how many fans of Snyder's DCEU proclaim that's Wonder Woman, the public would be turned off by that portrayal of her because they grew up on Linda Carter, and don't like any hero portrayal to be that violent.
    The MCU knows this, that's why they don't have Hulk of all people graphically smash humans, only aliens and robots. The casual movie goer would be turned off by Snyders portrayal of Wonder Woman, and would prefer the version of Wonder Woman that was portrayed in her solo films.

It's just the the hyper fans who don't even read her comics that claim this version is superior, and everyone is entitled to have a version of a character they prefer. No ones perception of a fictional character is wrong, even if I don't agree with it.

I guess it just bothers me more with Wonder Woman than most because she was created to enspire girls during a time that there weren't many roll models for them to look up too (I'm very glad she enspires boys as well btw), but instead she's been warped to fit some kind of hyper aggressive, female warriors stereotype, and it just feels very...I guess, fetishizing to me? I guess she was always kind of feditshied though...with the bondage... a lot of people don't know about that though...

Plus, if "Warrior Woman" was the popular public portrayal of Diana, they wouldn't be selling Barbies of her.
    Just like they wouldn't be selling kids toys of Batman and Superman if that was their popular public portrayal.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Little of both.

Snyder did the "resurrected Superman fights the League" scene, so I have little reason to believe Diana is going to fare any better than she does in the theatrical version. Superman is going to swoop in and fight Steppenwolf, as he does in the theatrical. The Knightmare bad future is going to be featured more prominently, and I understand it's kicked off with Darkseid killing Lois, Superman turning evil, and Diana being murdered by either Clark or Darkseid.

The only significant difference that I'm aware of as far as Wonder Woman's concerned--as Snyder's gleefully bragged about for years--is that his version will have Diana chop Steppenwolf's head off instead of just breaking his axe-hammer-thing...which I guess, in his mind, proves she's a bad-ass despite, you know, getting crushed by Superman, rag-dolled SteppingWolf, and doing nothing of value.
    Also pretty sure the Amazons are still going to be slaughtered en masse.

But maybe I'm wrong.
    Maybe Diana will hold her own against Supes when he throws his resurrection tantrum? Maybe Steppenwolf's defeat will be an actual team effort and not just wasting time until Superman trashes him with two punches and Diana is granted the pittance of a kill shot? Maybe we'll be spared seeing her brutalized in the Knightmare scenes?

But I doubt it very much.
    I doubt it very much, but it might be that Whedon altered Superman scenes in his cut to remind more on Hulk in the first Avengers movie, then again Snyder's cut wil be probably so edgy that it becomes a less relevant problem in comparison anyway

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

spoilers:
    We’ll see Wonder Woman die in the Snydercut too, in the Knightmare sequence. The Amazons built a funeral pyre for her and placed two coins over her eyes. We’ll find out soon who kills her, if Darkseid or Superman
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    spoilers:
    We’ll see Wonder Woman die in the Snydercut too, in the Knightmare sequence. The Amazons built a funeral pyre for her and placed two coins over her eyes. We’ll find out soon who kills her, if Darkseid or Superman
    end of spoilers
    What the hell is the Knightmare? And why is it being discussed in a version of the first jl movie? Also why does it always have to be WW the one that gets killed in these dark end of the world stories? I hope snyder doesn't ever get the chance to make his crappy vision of WW canon on the silver screen.

The "Knightmare" is a dark potential future where Darkseid wins. It was supposed to be a major plot point of the sequels, while it shows up in this movie in glimpses through Bruce's dreams, hence the nickname.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Is Diana perceived as a warrior in popular culture? I don't think there was any major perception of Wonder Woman in pop culture until the movie. Up until then her most iconic character trait was she spun round to change into her superhero costume. Dawn of Justice sold her as an effective fighter but her solo movie was all about her spreading peace and love in the middle of WWI.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    Is Diana perceived as a warrior in popular culture? I don't think there was any major perception of Wonder Woman in pop culture until the movie. Up until then her most iconic character trait was she spun round to change into her superhero costume. Dawn of Justice sold her as an effective fighter but her solo movie was all about her spreading peace and love in the middle of WWI.
    Wonder Woman had been a pop culture icon for decades before the 2017 film.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The "Knightmare" is a dark potential future where Darkseid wins. It was supposed to be a major plot point of the sequels, while it shows up in this movie in glimpses through Bruce's dreams, hence the nickname.
    Thanks. So he was basically using a similar plot to avengers with Thanos winning and the whole travel in time thing. Not to mention that WW being killed is getting really annoying. I hope he never gets to make that vision happen on the silver screen.

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    Yay. There's something I never needed or wanted to see in live action.

Thanks, Zack.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Thanks. So he was gradually using a similar plot to avengers with Thanos winning and the whole travel in time thing. Not to mention that WW being killed is getting really annoying. I hope he never gets to make that vision happen on the silver screen.
    It sounds more like he's ripping off Days of Future Past with evil winning, everyone dying, but someone changes the past so it's all right.

Hope you enjoy watching your favorite characters get butchered!

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    She was a part of pop culture long before the movie, the movie just made people aware of specific details beyond “strong female hero on the JL”. Her being a “warrior” is a new development that started around the 00s where DC decided that she was the killer of the Trinity and went hard on that. It’s made it’s way into her depictions in mass media.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Just watched a review of the Snyder cut, haven't seen it myself yet, but the female reviewer excitedly praised Snyder's handling of Wonder Woman and she wants him to direct her next movie. She said she loves Patty Jenkins and 1984 but Snyder better balances Wonder Woman's humanity with a high level of badassary that made her by far the best part of BvS.