Extraordinary Member

Default Comic writers - blow you away each month or just good story telling

When I was growing up, the great comics just had good story-telling. Characters were developed, they had a history, and the stories were usually character-driven.

Somewhere along the way, it evolved into 'we have to blow the reader away every month.' Huge changes must occur to shock the reader so they'll come back for more next month.

Eventually, the character is either changed too much or written into a new corner so we have to have a BIG event that will either erase what was just done or moves them into another direction.

So question:

Which do you prefer: a) simple storytelling that is character driven or based on the character's past or b) every month is 'blow you away with huge changes'?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Story that makes sense to the characters of course. Changes will happen naturally then if you actually allow the characters to develop.

Both.

Make it my money's worth.

When a story is great it does blow me away, changes or not.

For me...
    A. Simple storytelling that is character driven or based on the character's past. And also sets up future stories.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    When I was growing up, the great comics just had good story-telling. Characters were developed, they had a history, and the stories were usually character-driven.

Somewhere along the way, it evolved into 'we have to blow the reader away every month.' Huge changes must occur to shock the reader so they'll come back for more next month.

Eventually, the character is either changed too much or written into a new corner so we have to have a BIG event that will either erase what was just done or moves them into another direction.

So question:

Which do you prefer: a) simple storytelling that is character driven or based on the character's past or b) every month is 'blow you away with huge changes'?
    This seems like one of those threads made just to hate on the current state of comics, but I'll play along. The simply storytelling format you are desiring exists in a lot of comics today, there are a lot of great indie books you can check out and even some DC books like swamp thing aren't focused on making a book that is designed to generate shock. I think you should just look more for books that interest you if you don't want those type of books.

Obviously A is going to win.

Option B means I have to sit through reading another "Rise of Arsenal" mini series. Shock value usually means bad thing for a character.

Think I like both, used in a way to balance each other out. On the other hand, I don't think a story needs to be big, bombastic, or game-changing to blow the reader away. A well-written story with an emotional hook can do that without being a huge event.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

I want a writer that blows that Batfam away

I will take a character driven series like Starman over Insert Crisis Title Here every time.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!