The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default SHOWCASE: A New Pitch

Wally West has returned to headlining THE FLASH comic book series for the foreseeable future. Where does Barry Allen go from here?

Here's my pitch:

Barry first appeared in 1956 in SHOWCASE. I think Barry should appear in a new version of SHOWCASE, but unlike the classic version of that title, the new SHOWCASE should be modeled on THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD and DC COMICS PRESENTS, in which Batman (TBATB) or Superman (DCP) headlined each month with a different costar from across the DC Multiverse.

The same can be done in a new SHOWCASE in which each issue (or two or three issues for longer arcs), Barry teams up with a different character from across the DC Multiverse. This means that he can revisit classic old characters from the past such as Kal-L of Pre-COIE Earth-Two, Calvin Ellis's President Superman of Earth-23, or even entirely new, previously undiscovered characters from across the Multiverse. All of DC's omniverse would be open to Barry and by extension, we the readers. He might even rediscover some characters he'd read about in comics when he was a kid. Alternatively, we might travel alongside Barry to entirely new, unknown worlds in the Multiverse and meet entirely new characters. The series will live up to its title...showcasing characters old and new, with Barry being our tour guide through the Multiverse. It would fit Barry's character to a "T."

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I think that's a good idea, in light of Jim Lee stating they would be slimming back titles to focus on the core heroes.

A DC/Showcase, Brave and the Bold series would continue to give exposure to all the great heroes in the DCU.

I would like them to bring back back stories. A Flash issue could have Wally in the main story, and a smaller story in the back of a lesser known hero.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Wally West has returned to headlining THE FLASH comic book series for the foreseeable future. Where does Barry Allen go from here?

Here's my pitch:

Barry first appeared in 1956 in SHOWCASE. I think Barry should appear in a new version of SHOWCASE, but unlike the classic version of that title, the new SHOWCASE should be modeled on THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD and DC COMICS PRESENTS, in which Batman (TBATB) or Superman (DCP) headlined each month with a different costar from across the DC Multiverse.

The same can be done in a new SHOWCASE in which each issue (or two or three issues for longer arcs), Barry teams up with a different character from across the DC Multiverse. This means that he can revisit classic old characters from the past such as Kal-L of Pre-COIE Earth-Two, Calvin Ellis's President Superman of Earth-23, or even entirely new, previously undiscovered characters from across the Multiverse. All of DC's omniverse would be open to Barry and by extension, we the readers. He might even rediscover some characters he'd read about in comics when he was a kid. Alternatively, we might travel alongside Barry to entirely new, unknown worlds in the Multiverse and meet entirely new characters. The series will live up to its title...showcasing characters old and new, with Barry being our tour guide through the Multiverse. It would fit Barry's character to a "T."

Great idea!

Since Barry introduced us to the Multiverse, its fitting that he gets to be the one to take us on an exploration of an even larger Multiverse now.

Some team-ups I'd like to suggest:

-Barry teaming up with Adam West Batman (or at any rate, 60's Silver Age Batman) to solve a case together, old-school style. I feel this Batman will complement Barry's personality perfectly.

-Barry heading over to the DCAU and teaming up with John Stewart's Green Lantern. John will be interested to interact with this wiser and more serious Flash, and Barry will be proud to see that even in a world without him, Wally became the Flash.

-Barry teaming up with young New 52 T-shirt Superman and acting as a mentor of sorts to him.

-Barry teaming up with President Superman and his Justice League on Earth 23.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Great idea!

Since Barry introduced us to the Multiverse, its fitting that he gets to be the one to take us on an exploration of an even larger Multiverse now.

Some team-ups I'd like to suggest:

-Barry teaming up with Adam West Batman (or at any rate, 60's Silver Age Batman) to solve a case together, old-school style. I feel this Batman will complement Barry's personality perfectly.

-Barry heading over to the DCAU and teaming up with John Stewart's Green Lantern. John will be interested to interact with this wiser and more serious Flash, and Barry will be proud to see that even in a world without him, Wally became the Flash.

-Barry teaming up with young New 52 T-shirt Superman and acting as a mentor of sorts to him.

-Barry teaming up with President Superman and his Justice League on Earth 23.
    It might involve a licensing deal, but I'd love for Barry (main comics DCU) to meet his CW counterpart from the TV series, or even DCEU Barry from the movies.

Heck...Barry and the Scooby Gang would be fun.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Here's my pitch:

I would buy the hell outta this book!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

This is similar to what I envisioned Barry's book should be if they ever returned Wally to the role.
    Wally would be the League's Flash and Barry would travel the multiverse.
    I toyed with naming Barry's book Flash Prime but I love the Showcase name as well.
    I truly hope this is the beginning of DC actually focusing on its multi/omniverse. Such a waste that they haven't done anything worthwhile with it since Multiversity.

Well my idea for a new Showcase would be to make it a anthology book.we can have stories with heroes such as Geo Force Vixen.Looker.Fury.Firebrand.Liberty Belle.Amazing Man.Bumblebee and the Herald just to name a few.since DC is Mainly about Batman and his entire family which i personally don't read any of those books.and i'm really tired of DC not having other team books as well.

So I'm going to preface this by saying I am not a Barry Allen fan. I think bringing him back to life was a terrible idea and saddling him with the ludicrous murdered mother thing to make him "interesting" has ultimately done the character more harm than good, especially since almost every interpretation of him now (and likely in the future) hinges on that.

That being said, if DC insists on keeping Barry around, I think a book like this could be the way to go. I'd partner him with a second regular character, someone who's his opposite and he can play off of (if Barry's lighthearted, analytical, and thoughtful, then maybe a tough-guy "action first, think later" type...like a Guy Gardner, though not necessarily him), make them "buddy cops" and send them EVERYWHERE, not just the multiverse, but through time and all across the main DCU, encountering characters and locations that have a fine layer of dust on them that needs to be blown off. From Travis Morgan to the Great Ten, from Arak to the post-apocalyptic Jonah Hex, from Claw the Unconquered to the Young All-Stars. Use the book as a deep-dive into the DCU as a whole, with Barry and his partner serving as our guides.

. . . Heck...Barry and the Scooby Gang would be fun.

I'm hoping we get something along the lines of what Buried is suggesting. If Barry is joining Justice Incarnate, then this could be a great way to showcase (ha!) the team while exploring rarely seen corners of the DCU, and Barry would be as good a sales anchor as most characters to help hold it above cancellation range.

My only nitpick is using "Showcase" as a name. I feel like in this market, that's not a strong enough title. It's got history but I think you need either "Flash" or "Justice" in the title to give it that little extra attention. It could be "The Flash Presents: Showcase!" or whatever, and maybe Barry's presence on the cover would be enough, but I'd feel more confident if it were Showcase in spirit more than name.

As for a secondary PoV character and partner, I'd think Vibe could be a good choice. Multiverse stuff is, obviously, his thing and the character is enough of a blank slate that writers could fine-tune him and zero in on the stuff that helps set him apart from Barry. Plus there's precedence with the CW, which isn't gonna help sales but won't hurt either. Not as obvious in its "Odd Couple" motif as, say, Guy or Lobo or Ollie or someone, but I think it could work. And with the rest of Justice Incarnate and random world-specific guest appearances to round things out (Batman 66!!), the book might do fairly well for itself.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

That does seem a pretty smart way to approach the new status quo,
    plus you can use Flash Facts to introduce new information about the Multiverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm hoping we get something along the lines of what Buried is suggesting. If Barry is joining Justice Incarnate, then this could be a great way to showcase (ha!) the team while exploring rarely seen corners of the DCU, and Barry would be as good a sales anchor as most characters to help hold it above cancellation range.

My only nitpick is using "Showcase" as a name. I feel like in this market, that's not a strong enough title. It's got history but I think you need either "Flash" or "Justice" in the title to give it that little extra attention. It could be "The Flash Presents: Showcase!" or whatever, and maybe Barry's presence on the cover would be enough, but I'd feel more confident if it were Showcase in spirit more than name.

As for a secondary PoV character and partner, I'd think Vibe could be a good choice. Multiverse stuff is, obviously, his thing and the character is enough of a blank slate that writers could fine-tune him and zero in on the stuff that helps set him apart from Barry. Plus there's precedence with the CW, which isn't gonna help sales but won't hurt either. Not as obvious in its "Odd Couple" motif as, say, Guy or Lobo or Ollie or someone, but I think it could work. And with the rest of Justice Incarnate and random world-specific guest appearances to round things out (Batman 66!!), the book might do fairly well for itself.
    I like the idea of using Vibe, if it is the New 52 version. He's kind of perfect for a Multiverse book and maybe they could market it to fans of the show.
    DC really should invest more in digital marketing to attract fans from other media.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I like the idea of using Vibe, if it is the New 52 version. He's kind of perfect for a Multiverse book and maybe they could market it to fans of the show.
    DC really should invest more in digital marketing to attract fans from other media.
    Oh of course it'd be the New52 Vibe!

I mean, I wouldn't be against Barry and Cisco traveling to an 80's world where they meet *that* version of Vibe, just for the lol'z (I feel the same way about them meeting Batman 66) but who would want that offensive racial stereotype that we once called Vibe back in regular print?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Oh of course it'd be the New52 Vibe!

I mean, I wouldn't be against Barry and Cisco traveling to an 80's world where they meet *that* version of Vibe, just for the lol'z (I feel the same way about them meeting Batman 66) but who would want that offensive racial stereotype that we once called Vibe back in regular print?
    ...which brings me to an additional point. I think the tone of the new, 21st Century SHOWCASE should be light and humorous. That doesn't mean that Barry suddenly adopts the attitude or mannerisms of DCAU Flash, but that he continues his Silver Age role of straight man to the humorous situations that develop around him. The other day, I imagined a new SHOWCASE story in which Barry encounters a parallel universe version of the Anti-Monitor, but unlike the Anti-Monitor who killed Barry in COIE, this Anti-Monitor (though having a similar appearance and powers as the original) is an idiot and milquetoast who exasperates Barry no end. I have this scene where the funny Anti-Monitor and Barry are surrounded by some enemies and overwhelmed, and Barry finally loses his famous patience and starts screaming, "YOU'VE GOT ANTIMATTER POWERS, DAMN IT! STOP ACTING LIKE A PUTZ AND USE THEM TO GET US OUT OF THIS MESS!"

Reminds me of Major Bummer.

Yeah I'd be down with idiot Anti-Monitor.

~ Black Panther.