Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Is Superman worth it anymore?

After reading about the original plans zack snyder had for justice league aswell as how screwed over superman was and might still get in the upcoming snyder cut https://bleedingcool.com/movies/zack...equel-jim-lee/

Aswell as the news that jj abrahams and coates will helm solely a black superman movie with no plans for anything regarding the traditional superman, it makes me really wonder what the point is in being a fan of superman anymore. Apart from the superman and lois series, there is hardly any good portrayals for superman in the mainstream media. There is still superman is the villian schtick going on relentlessly and if zacks take on the original justice league is proof of anything, supermans sole reason for existance as far as dc and warner bros is concerned is to be used as a tool to help reinforce their love and appreciation for batman.

I must admit there are times I do consider just walking away and letting DC & WB s*** on the character the way they clearly want to. It’s insane I have to sit here and hope that Superman won’t be a genocidal mass murderer or a cuckold in whatever next outside media project he’s slated to show up for.

Yet elsewhere Superman is actually in a good spot? The TV show stars a traditional take and is very positively received. I enjoyed Bendis’ Superman run and am excited for PKJ’s, especially since I enjoyed the Superman Future State titles. Red & Blue looks fantastic, Yang’s Batman/Superman sounds incredibly promising, Venditti has Superman ‘78 for those wanting a more traditional take, and there may be a BL Superman project coming down the line from Waid. Fraction put out one of my all time favorite comics with Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen and Yang put out a banger with Superman Smashes The Klan.

The only things that look terrible are the Snyder Cut, Rocksteady’s Suicide Squad, and the inevitable Injustice 3. Abrams & Coates are an unknown, I wish it was the traditional Clark Kent getting a reboot, but we’ll see what they do. So for now my fandom endures because there’s enough good stuff right now to make me stick through the crap.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I don't know.But,superman has taught me alot about truth and justice.Bullying,weakness,..etc.He also made me appreciate goku far more for what he stands for.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dralokonda View Post
    ...it makes me really wonder what the point is in being a fan of superman anymore.
    The Superman or versions of it in comics or any adaptation, if you like that and still care for it, you can hold on to that even if it's not as influential or defining on the current versions that are out.

It's easy to be a fan of something when the wind is in your sails, but harder when the stock is low, and people think there's not much to the character to begin with.

Apart from the superman and lois series, there is hardly any good portrayals for superman in the mainstream media.
    At the end of the day, you have more Superman content than Wonder Woman content. More Superman content than Aquaman content, more with Superman than Hal Jordan, Martian Manhunter, and many many DC characters who struggle and toil in obscurity to this day.

Superman's stock has fallen a bit, and is too bogged down but at least there will always be a Superman every decade or so. There will not always be a Flash and even then it's not a guarantee it will always be Wally or Barry or whoever. After the sequel failed, who knows what things will hold for Wonder Woman.

And that's the DC superhero, leaving aside stuff like Plastic Man, The Question, Blue Beetle, the Fourth World, The Sandman (finally coming, seemingly, on Netflix) and so on.

Incredible Member

Only you can choose whether he's still worth it for you or not.

Me? I like most of the plans for the dude on the comics side (with caveats, of course, chief among them the current lack of plans for Lois Lane), I liked the first 2 episodes of Superman & Lois. I'm intrigued by whatever Coates comes up in the upcoming reboot. So yeah, dude's still worth it for me.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

In terms of movies? No. Point blank. It's obvious TPTB at Warners don't know what to do with him and haven't for a while now. But I was just thinking about this a few minutes ago. I'm getting more of what I want from Superman now than I have in a while. A new TV show which looks pretty good. A Superman '78 series which looks pretty good. An anthology book like Batman always gets. These are all good things. Are they permanent? No. But they are what we as fans have been asking for a while now. Maybe if we want a good Superman movie we'll just have to boycott the DCEU for a while. It's the only way they'll learn. Is it perfect? No. But it's enough to tide me over for right now.
    Assassinate Putin!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

He'll always be worth it. As are all the characters.

WB/DC though? Probably not, but unfortunately we're stuck with them.

Superman himself? Yes. WB ? No.

Nobody can decide when/if to walk away but you.

For myself, my fandom is not contingent on whether the company is currently putting out quality product. If it was, I'd have stopped being a Superman fan long ago. Of course, that doesn't mean I buy whatever crap DC throws my way; I adore Superman but refuse to buy products I don't enjoy, so there have been long stretches of time where DC hasn't gotten any of my Super money. But even if I'm not reading the books or watching the shows I'm still a fan and I keep an eye out for stuff I *do* want. And before long, I always find something worth buying, whether it's a new reprint of older material, a new creative team on the main books, or whatever.

Overall I think things are looking good right now; there's a lot of stuff on the comic side that seems appealing; Red/Blue, the new creative team, that digital anthology that just wrapped up a Superman story that looks downright excellent. Smashes the Klan wasn't that long ago either. Maybe none of that will appeal to you (and I might not end up liking any of it either) but it's more than we've often had in recent years.

I'm not interested in the CW, nor am I interested in any DC film since the vast majority of them are pretty bad. But not too long ago we were all wishing Clark had a tv show again, or was getting a movie from some big name with a solid track record. Maybe what we're actually getting isn't to my taste, but it's better than the great big *nothing* we were getting a year ago, and those projects will find fans, and if they're successful that'll increase the odds of WB/DC making something I'll enjoy. And in the meantime I still have larger media Super stuff to re-watch.

I will say, though, that I hate the "But Clark gets more than X,Y, Z characters!" Yeah. He does. And? He's Superman, the fact that he gets more exposure than other IP's is a given. Other characters need tons more attention than they get...but that applies to everyone not named Batman or Harley, and the fact that the most well known superhero on earth gets one or two more crumbs than lesser known IP's is scant consolation. Nor does this negate the fact that most of the exposure Clark gets is bad, poorly conceived, and not worth the time or money it takes to consume it. What good is a Superman film when it's not worth watching?

But overall, I'm feeling vaguely, cautiously optimistic at the moment. New people are in charge across the board; let's see if they handle things better than their predecessors.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Eh. There's always gonna be something I like and maybe even a lot of things I'm indifferent to at best. The TV show seems alright from the ten minutes I watched. The comics have a new direction even of I'm not sure what to make of it yet. The movie can literally be anything because it's not even close to existing yet. Maybe there will be another Injustice game, those are a lot of fun even if I just have to ignore the story.

You have to roll with it. the times I really like are basically strong in comics with nothing else to show. There's more content out there now than possible ever if maybe still not enough in some respects (cartoon, solo game, and materialized movie). All of the back issues and old material still exist, there are some decent collections and DC seems to be coming around to bronze age reprints.

*Shrug*

I'll always be a fan.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Nothing is ever going to stop me from being a fan. When in doubt, keep your own canon of what the character is. No number of editorial office shake-ups, reality altering "crises", and author interpretations/revisions /retcons can change my enjoyment of the character.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I think you have to ask yourself what it is you want from the character and if there is anything out there giving it to you. If the answer is "no" then it sounds like you've found your answer.
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

I am enough of a fan of Superman that if there were not another Superman adaptation, another Superman cartoon and so on, and no other comic, and we have just the stuff that's published, I'd be happy with that. I have my Alan Moore, I have my Timm Cartoons on the box-set, my Fleischer collection, I have Superman vs. The Amazing Spider-Man. That's enough. My spotify has a playlist of all the songs with Superman references from The Kinks to Eminem, from REM to 3 Doors Down.

I never got entirely this sense that something you like has to be the popular dominant thing on the planet. There are so many books, movies, TV, games and music I love that is unlikely to ever become a franchise, and while I'd be happy if they get more popular and interest, I'm not someone who's gonna pine forever for that, you know.

I will say that Superman should enter the public domain and that if Superman becomes PD and officially joins the ranks of Robin Hood, King Arthur, Allan Quatermain and other Public Domain folk-icons, then I think things would change and be different. It's very clear that WB and for that matter DC, have not been good custodians of a character (which they swindled from its creators...Never Forget) and that the time has come for him to become folk property.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I will say that Superman should enter the public domain and that if Superman becomes PD and officially joins the ranks of Robin Hood, King Arthur, Allan Quatermain and other Public Domain folk-icons, then I think things would change and be different. It's very clear that WB and for that matter DC, have not been good custodians of a character (which they swindled from its creators...Never Forget) and that the time has come for him to become folk property.
    This would be the best.

I'd be fine with less other media Superman content if we keep getting what we've been getting recently (though the new show may turn things around a bit).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'd be fine with less other media Superman content if we keep getting what we've been getting recently (though the new show may turn things around a bit).
    One of the things about Superman being out of touch with DC brass is that it paradoxically makes him cool and a bit of an underdog. Because Superman's so disrespected by DC and treated so shabbily, he's become vulnerable and people tend to root for him, he has that quality to him.

Batgod for instance used to be "the most relatable hero" at one point but now he's overexposed so often for so long that almost everything in that character has been played out and he eats way too much off the buffet while leaving the rest to wait hungry in line with plates. And on account of him being absurdly rich billionaire, he's a lot less acceptable with each passing day.

It bothers me that we never get enough "evil Batman" stories (Dark Knights Metal was a corrective on this admittedly) because at the end of the day a dude with superpowers granted by solar radiation taking over the world isn't gonna happen. Billionaires with a streak of self-righteousness and god complexes however are a major ongoing threat to human civilization in the current century.