Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default MCU fight: Scarlet Witch vs. Doctor Strange

So... Wanda got quite the buff in WandaVision (spoilers for that show if you haven't seen it yet here BTW) and it is only natural that we pit her against the main magic user in the MCU, doctor Stephen Strange.

Two fights.

1. Dr. Strange without the time stone
    2. Dr. Strange with the time stone

How does this go?

Wanda's got feats of magic nullification over a very large area, Strange doesn't (depending on how one interprets "witch" of course).

I think the only shot Strange has is dimensional shenanigans (i.e. mirror dimension dump) in scenario 1, and its debatable if Wanda has the oomph to power through it Space Stone-style (I'd lean on no, given the lack of specific feats for it, but it *is* debatable). Similarly, Strange's best shot in scenario 2 is the Time Stone, and if he gets it running, Wanda has no chance.

spoilers:
    Also, Agatha Harkness says the Scarlet Witch is more powerful than the Sorcerer Supreme, so there is that
    end of spoilers.
    Last edited by Twickster; 03-07-2021 at 09:01 AM.

Power-wise she is stronger then strange, but like agatha said, power isn't her problem, knowledge is. I don't think she can defend against a mirror wall dimension coming straight at her.
    im not sure it was established she can teleport like agatha could, if she can she might be able to get close to him and mind whammy him then crush him. maybe she can do the same when turning invisible, then again maybe strange can see her even is she would go invisible. tough call.

as for fight 2, the time stone actually takes a good couple of seconds to utilize , shown in his fight with the maw. Maybe he can open up with a mirror wall throw at wanda and in the meantime start opening up eye of aggamoto? i'm not sure wanda will give him the time he needs... get it? time?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Twickster View Post
    Wanda's got feats of magic nullification over a very large area, Strange doesn't (depending on how one interprets "witch" of course).
    Wanda only managed to do that on such a large scale because they were in an area that she controlled, and even then she needed to create each seperate rune.

She could possibly recreate the effect in the arena, but it's not a snap her fingers and it's done kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Wanda only managed to do that on such a large scale because they were in an area that she controlled, and even then she needed to create each seperate rune.
    I don't think so. The runes happened within the Westview hex, sure, but nothing about those runes were dependent on having the hex in place. They were explicitly separate spells. They happened in separate times, days apart. I don't think one could easily say its a hex-only thing that Wanda can pull off. I mean, you could say that making the runes took some time, sure, but I don't think Wanda needs the hex in place to do it.

She could possibly recreate the effect in the arena, but it's not a snap her fingers and it's done kind of thing.
    Problem with Strange is that his big stuff are not a snap his fingers and they're done thing either (except for the mirror dimension). And as far as quick-draw stuff is concerned, Wanda has significantly stronger brute force feats than Strange. I can certainly see Wanda flexing and breaking through most of the things that gave Thanos trouble in Infinity War, for example (again, save for the mirror dimension). This is different from Wanda vs. Captain Marvel, Strange isn't blitzing Wanda and Wanda, on the more quick draw side of things, hits significantly harder than Strange.

Basically, I can see Wanda outmuscling Strange while both try to get their major stuff going, is all I'm saying.
    Last edited by Twickster; 03-07-2021 at 10:13 AM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Infinity War, Strange creates what are effectively Crimson Bands against Thanos in an instant, and does the same with what pretty much mimics the comic book 'Illusions of Ikonn', creating dozens of duplicates of himself.

I don't see him having a problem confusing the issue long enough to get the Inifnity Stone up and running in Scenario II. Or whatever. Just the illusions will give him time.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Ultimate Member

With Wanda on a general note, her power level does make her a bit complicated going forward.

What's to stop her from simply changing a powerful supervillain into a random suburban dad like she did to Agatha at the end?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Infinity War, Strange creates what are effectively Crimson Bands against Thanos in an instant, and does the same with what pretty much mimics the comic book 'Illusions of Ikonn', creating dozens of duplicates of himself.

I don't see him having a problem confusing the issue long enough to get the Inifnity Stone up and running in Scenario II. Or whatever. Just the illusions will give him time.
    Thing is those weren't actual Crimson Bands, and Wanda has feats of 360 degree multidirectional energy waves (see AoU). She can effectively duplicate the Power Stone feat that had Thanos shattering all those bands and illusions at the same time. Her force projection stuff is quite a bit more potent than Strange's.

But as I said, I'm cool with the outcome of both scenarios going to whomever gets their big stuff off first. Getting the Time Stone up and running basically guarantees Strange a win in scenario 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    With Wanda on a general note, her power level does make her a bit complicated going forward.

What's to stop her from simply changing a powerful supervillain into a random suburban dad like she did to Agatha at the end?
    As far as Rumbles are concerned, nothing really, save for the time it takes for her to do it (which really isn't much, in the scheme of things). Which bumps her up significantly in MCU powerlevels.

But storywise, going forward, I think they're aiming for her being a villain, at least in the short term. Reading the Darkhold tends to do that to you. Making her a threat seems more in keeping with her power level now, narratively speaking.
    Last edited by Twickster; 03-07-2021 at 11:25 AM.

Thing is those weren't actual Crimson Bands, and Wanda has feats of 360 degree multidirectional energy waves (see AoU). She can effectively duplicate the Power Stone feat that had Thanos shattering all those bands and illusions at the same time. Her force projection stuff is quite a bit more potent than Strange's.

But as I said, I'm cool with the outcome of both scenarios going to whomever gets their big stuff off first. Getting the Time Stone up and running basically guarantees Strange a win in scenario 2.
    Absolutely they weren't the comic book Crimson Bands. Looked like a movie version of them, much like the 'images of Ikonn' he used would have been a movie version of the same spell. Just used that for descriptive sake, not to imply they were on the same level as the comic book Crimson Bands. ^_^

Wanda has the big booms that will take out Strange's illusions, no doubt. My point is that he can fire them off instantly, then start with whatever while she then needs to deal with them. Seems like an advantage.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

I don't think so. The runes happened within the Westview hex, sure, but nothing about those runes were dependent on having the hex in place. They were explicitly separate spells. They happened in separate times, days apart. I don't think one could easily say its a hex-only thing that Wanda can pull off. I mean, you could say that making the runes took some time, sure, but I don't think Wanda needs the hex in place to do it.

Problem with Strange is that his big stuff are not a snap his fingers and they're done thing either (except for the mirror dimension). And as far as quick-draw stuff is concerned, Wanda has significantly stronger brute force feats than Strange. I can certainly see Wanda flexing and breaking through most of the things that gave Thanos trouble in Infinity War, for example (again, save for the mirror dimension). This is different from Wanda vs. Captain Marvel, Strange isn't blitzing Wanda and Wanda, on the more quick draw side of things, hits significantly harder than Strange.

Basically, I can see Wanda outmuscling Strange while both try to get their major stuff going, is all I'm saying.
    Wanda's depowering runes did need the westfield Hex, in the same way that Grafitti needs a wall to be put on. And in any case, the depowering Rune isn't confirmed to work on Magic items, and even if it did that wouldn't cover the time stone

As stated above, the Hex was only required in the fact that it was a wall to write on. Arena walls would similarly work but it's too slow to set up to be effective.

Strange did a weird BFR kinda deal to a bunch of Thanos' soldiers in Endgame. I cant remember how quick that took to set up nor can I watch the vid at work. Anyone remember if it would be fight useful or not?
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    As stated above, the Hex was only required in the fact that it was a wall to write on. Arena walls would similarly work but it's too slow to set up to be effective.

Strange did a weird BFR kinda deal to a bunch of Thanos' soldiers in Endgame. I cant remember how quick that took to set up nor can I watch the vid at work. Anyone remember if it would be fight useful or not?
    Might check it out tonight.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post

Starts at 6:45. Its a good move, but not instant. I can certainly see Wanda having the chance to power out of it as well.
    Last edited by Twickster; 03-07-2021 at 10:01 PM.

Strange also seems have to no telepathy defense. Wanda in her fight with Agatha teleported away, and then snuck up on Agatha from behind really quickly and trapped Agatha in an illusion before she could react. Of course, during the course of the illusion, Agatha then turned things around on her, but Strange has no feats of resisting such mental manipulations.