Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Viacom gets a production company they actually want to work with do Trek. Wipe their hands of the current Trek shows and the Calvin timeline as a whole.
    Ok. Not a fan of that timeline?

I'm not sure having all these Kelvin and Calvin timelines is the best thing for Star Trek, as none of it makes a lick of sense to anyone who's not following everything super closely. Can't we just have a Next Next Generation or something?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    I'm not sure having all these Kelvin and Calvin timelines is the best thing for Star Trek, as none of it makes a lick of sense to anyone who's not following everything super closely. Can't we just have a Next Next Generation or something?
    I just wanted a post-Nemesis movie series, with new characters and returning ones.

We kind of have that with Picard, although not a movie.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    We kind of have that with Picard, although not a movie.
    That's true. It's just that I like to see the universe progress forward and open up new areas rather than just going back to what we already know

I'm not sure it's the best idea to have a TV writer onboard-I think that was part of the problem with the TNG films, that with the exception of John Logan's Nemesis, they were pretty much all written by the TV writers (Who were also working on DS9 and VOY) so the films (especially Insurrection) came off as kind of a slighty larger-scale TV episode at times. The TOS films, for all their budget problems, still I think came off with a greater sense of scale, especially since they had a sort of multi-film story arc. (Even VI builds upon what happened in the Genesis trilogy to a degree regarding Kirk's son).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I'm not sure it's the best idea to have a TV writer onboard-I think that was part of the problem with the TNG films, that with the exception of John Logan's Nemesis, they were pretty much all written by the TV writers (Who were also working on DS9 and VOY) so the films (especially Insurrection) came off as kind of a slighty larger-scale TV episode at times. The TOS films, for all their budget problems, still I think came off with a greater sense of scale, especially since they had a sort of multi-film story arc. (Even VI builds upon what happened in the Genesis trilogy to a degree regarding Kirk's son).
    I often thought that as well, although I think First Contact was a legit good movie over Nemesis.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

So this goes back to bad blood that occurred between Star Trek 2009 and Star Trek Into Darkness, between Bad Robot and CBS/Paramount/Viacom/whoever. I say "bad blood" but really it was an issue with where to go with ST09 after it was released.

Initially Abrams wanted to fast-track a sequel to ST09 as well as develop television shows set in the new Kelvin timeline. But while ST09 did solid at the box office, it wasn't the runaway success Paramount had hoped for and fan reaction was decidedly mixed (to put it mildly) so Paramount waffled. This was why STID didn't happen until 4 years after ST09 whereas Abrams wanted it for 2011 or 2012 at the latest. Then that did less box office than ST09, and then Star Trek Beyond did even less box office, which is why 5 years later we haven't gotten any new sequels or shows based on the Kelvin timeline. With Discovery, Picard, and Lower Decks set firmly in the original timeline, I doubt Paramount would ever go back to the Kelvin timeline again. So with that, where exactly do you go with for a feature film? And is a feature film even necessary if you have successful television shows supporting the brand?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    So this goes back to bad blood that occurred between Star Trek 2009 and Star Trek Into Darkness, between Bad Robot and CBS/Paramount/Viacom/whoever. I say "bad blood" but really it was an issue with where to go with ST09 after it was released.

Initially Abrams wanted to fast-track a sequel to ST09 as well as develop television shows set in the new Kelvin timeline. But while ST09 did solid at the box office, it wasn't the runaway success Paramount had hoped for and fan reaction was decidedly mixed (to put it mildly) so Paramount waffled. This was why STID didn't happen until 4 years after ST09 whereas Abrams wanted it for 2011 or 2012 at the latest. Then that did less box office than ST09, and then Star Trek Beyond did even less box office, which is why 5 years later we haven't gotten any new sequels or shows based on the Kelvin timeline. With Discovery, Picard, and Lower Decks set firmly in the original timeline, I doubt Paramount would ever go back to the Kelvin timeline again. So with that, where exactly do you go with for a feature film? And is a feature film even necessary if you have successful television shows supporting the brand?
    That's interesting. I think a film could work with a good enough story, but they probably won't revisit the Kelvin Timeline.

I think also Abrams planned for the films to be more merchandised with action figures and such, but CBS was set on avoiding 'brand confusion' with the Shatner/Nimoy stuff they were still selling.

Basically all that the second film ever got for figure merchandise was the KREO set (Hasbro's kind of LEGOesque toys). Also might've had to do with the Playmates figures selling poorly.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I won't believe it's real until I see a trailer
    My immediate first thought when I read the title of this thread.

Right now Star Trek is one hot mess. CBS has ideas but no direction

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post

They could do a film for Paramount+. The service is gotta need content.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Right now Star Trek is one hot mess. CBS has ideas but no direction
    The film part of the franchise may be in disarray, but the TV part (which, to be honest, is the core medium of the franchise) has been firing on all cylinders.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    The film part of the franchise may be in disarray, but the TV part (which, to be honest, is the core medium of the franchise) has been firing on all cylinders.
    I have problems with Discovery, but we can't deny Trek has had its biggest tv success in decades

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    What part of these timelines needs to make sense to the average movie goer? They are there to experience the moment, not the history.