17 56.67%
  • Jack Nimball

5 16.67%
  • The Toyboy

8 26.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Who's the best Toyman?

One of the oldest and (in my opinion) oddest of Superman's Rogues; there's be multiple versions of the maniacal Toyman in the comics. Who do you consider to be your favorite?

NOTE: I chose to leave Hiro Okamura out of this; after all he is an ally of the heroes (and these days referred to as Toymaster).

Toyman I.jpg Winslow P Schott
    Toyman II.jpg Jack Nimball
    Toyman III.jpg Toyboy (Of course inspired by STAS Toyman)

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

The one who doesn't touch kids.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Yeah this was definitely the best take for me, really enjoyed the creepiness of the design and voice acting.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Lol pretty much.

Historically there's not much of a choice unless you look to the STAS version, but I'll always be a fan of Nimball
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Probably one of the few undisputable homeruns STAS has was its Toyman, so I have to give a nod to that one

Also this

Toyman from S:TAS was amazing. I'm bummed DC never committed to that version of the character in the comics. Superman needs a creepy villain (not in a pervy way) and Toyman would definitely check off that box. Batman shouldn't have a monopoly on all the crazed scary supervillains.

Retired

That animated Toyman looks like a toy boy, not a real boy.

I prefer the original concept of Toyman--as an old fashioned toymaker who is put out of business by corporate greed. The original Toyman was not a pedophile--he just made toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Toyman from S:TAS was amazing. I'm bummed DC never committed to that version of the character in the comics. Superman needs a creepy villain (not in a pervy way) and Toyman would definitely check off that box. Batman shouldn't have a monopoly on all the crazed scary supervillains.

I love Toyman, I think he’s a great villain. Sadly so few writers choose to do anything with him.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    That animated Toyman looks like a toy boy, not a real boy.

I prefer the original concept of Toyman--as an old fashioned toymaker who is put out of business by corporate greed. The original Toyman was not a pedophile--he just made toys.
    It's one of those fandom gags, but that's not actually true if you read the story. He wasn't a pedophile (Skyhook actually is in his origin, but then isn't when he comes back as a demon) but unfortunately kidnapping kids immediately has that association. He was an assassin who started out as a toymaker so he uses it in his gimmick. In the 90s he developed mental illness and killed indiscriminately, but the story hinges on Cat not taking revenge despite his lack of remorse, and then Superman finding an effective rehabilitation when he later escapes.

The Toy boy version is sort of based on the same. Though he seems like a carry over from BTAS, ironically I think the killer Toyman is the only one who's faced Batman, in a special one shot.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

STAS/JLU for best Toyman from video posted above.

Worst Toyman goes to Superman Doomsday Winslow Schott.

Runner up Winslow Schott from Dan Jurgens 1993 run issue #84. Where Schott kills Adam Grant.

Last edited by Doctor Know; 03-09-2021 at 09:06 AM.

Mighty Member

That’s a start! Also, add not a child murderer as well... you know what... just don’t have anything to do with kids period if he’s going to remain a villain.

If he gets reformed, than the classic Geppetto will do... however if he’s to remain villainous I’ll also throw in my hat for STAS Toyman. He was such a creeper that he gave his “real doll” sentience and she still ran for the hills.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    It's one of those fandom gags, but that's not actually true if you read the story. He wasn't a pedophile (Skyhook actually is in his origin, but then isn't when he comes back as a demon) but unfortunately kidnapping kids immediately has that association. He was an assassin who started out as a toymaker so he uses it in his gimmick. In the 90s he developed mental illness and killed indiscriminately, but the story hinges on Cat not taking revenge despite his lack of remorse, and then Superman finding an effective rehabilitation when he later escapes.

The Toy boy version is sort of based on the same. Though he seems like a carry over from BTAS, ironically I think the killer Toyman is the only one who's faced Batman, in a special one shot.
    The first time I saw the Toyman was in a 1960s comic book and he was pretty boring. But then in 1971, I bought DC SPECIAL 14 (September-October 1971) with this spectacular Murphy Anderson cover:

It reprinted "The Toyman's Castle" by Don Cameron, Ira Yarbrough and Stan Kaye, from SUPERMAN 47 (July-August 1947). I was so blown away by that story that it defined the Toyman forever in my mind as that guy, with the long hair, in the old fashioned clothes.

The Toyboy, IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."