Default Vampires and Werewolves versus COVID-19

This came up as part of a dinner time discussion with my husband.

Considering that mask-wearing is vital to prevent transmission of COVID-19, how vulnerable would Vampires and Werewolves be to catching COVID-19 since they both like to bite people? You can't bite someone if you are wearing a mask. Even if they don't get sick themselves, might they become carriers of the virus?

Consider this in terms of individual types of Vampires and Werewolves, which ones might be most at risk and which ones might not be at risk at all, and which ones might become spreaders of the virus?

Are there any other fictional monsters that might be more at risk?
    Last edited by Tami; 03-08-2021 at 07:52 PM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

It depends on the version of each, but in the case of vampires, they are generally depicted as already being dead and not needing to breathe, so while they might be capable of spreading it in the same way that a contaminated doll could spread it, they would probably be unable to actually provide a viable breeding ground for it and would be extremely unlikely to be negatively affected by it.

Don't werewolves (and vampires) usually have a pretty good healing factor. I imagine they can transmit the virus but otherwise be immune to it.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Vampires and possibly werewolves may even be immune to mere human mortal diseases.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

VtM Vamps all end up in torpor after a few months of social distancing killing the club scene
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

It would be rough going for Dresden Files white Court Vampires.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    This came up as part of a dinner time discussion with my husband.

Considering that mask-wearing is vital to prevent transmission of COVID-19, how vulnerable would Vampires and Werewolves be to catching COVID-19 since they both like to bite people? You can't bite someone if you are wearing a mask. Even if they don't get sick themselves, might they become carriers of the virus?

Consider this in terms of individual types of Vampires and Werewolves, which ones might be most at risk and which ones might not be at risk at all, and which ones might become spreaders of the virus?

Are there any other fictional monsters that might be more at risk?
    Depends on versions, of course. But, vampires are usually "undead" and so immune to diseases. A werewolf could, I suppose, be vulnerable while in human form. But, again, in most stories, only certain things can kill a werewolf permanently: silver, fire, another supernatural creature.

Being a carrier may well be another matter.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Depends on versions, of course. But, vampires are usually "undead" and so immune to diseases. A werewolf could, I suppose, be vulnerable while in human form. But, again, in most stories, only certain things can kill a werewolf permanently: silver, fire, another supernatural creature.

Being a carrier may well be another matter.
    Not just a carrier but a spreader, since social distancing (as BitViper, mentioned) is going to really hard for them to do.