Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Default Immortal Wonder Woman. Is it just me

That felt like the overall story felt kinda flat? Like Diana being the only one left did not have as much impact as it should have. And also once again, the so called Goddess felt like a helpless ant next to Darkseid. While the not a god snd old superman gave him more of a fight. Even in her own stuff she can not escape the shafows of the mighty sm. And stuff like this is getting too annoying already. Did anybody else feel similar about this book. It looked prmising but the actual results felt lacking to me. I am really tired of always seeing WW helpless, sad and needing help to fight any big oponent. This makes me feel like nothing will really change. We will still be seeing a Diana that feels so dam fragile even though she is supposed to be such a powerful Goddess.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Wonder Woman caused a Big Bang by slamming her bracelets together thus jumpstarting a new Universe. That’s as big a feat as they get.

I felt the same.

I expected a deep dive into Diana's personality and even the hopelessness of the situation. The story clearly wants to do that, but I felt that it never went into the nitty-gritty, just continued to scratch on the surface. While IWW and Swamp Thing don't take place at the same time, they have a similar "hope is lost" theme. I felt the desolation and the hopelessness far more when I read the latter.

As for Superman... I understand why he sacrifices himself and why that was a story beat. I wouldn't be bothered if it made more sense to me. My problem with Clark defeating Darkseid is that he is clearly shown to not be in his prime anymore while Diana still is. They should have defeated Darkseid together. Clark could have still sacrificed himself.

I honestly think they are supposed to be fighting Darkseid together. The problem is that Diana was just standing at the sidelines for too much panel time. It messed with the flow. Which might have been an execution issue. I think Bartel just isn't that good with fighting/action scenes. Drawing three heavy-hitters going at each other's throats isn't easy.

Imo, Clark and Bruce being two of the most important characters in the story didn't help. I don't dislike their friendship or their romance, but it's exhausting to always see them again. This could have been so much more about Diana and the Amazons + some fun with Swamp Thing and the Spectre. And it's not as if Diana gets a role in Clark's or Bruce's Future State stories. Heck, she doesn't even get mentioned in the other FS Wonder titles.

But enough venting about Diana in Future State at large. I think they brought Diana's sorrows out pretty well... at first. I don't mind heroes crying, but it was just too repetitive by the end. No matter how beautifully drawn those tears were.

First issue was better than the second but I felt it was overall hindered by having to do the entire thing in two regular-sized issues. There were beats I liked in the second issue though like the stuff with the Spectre and the Big Bang/Constellation stuff at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    Imo, Clark and Bruce being two of the most important characters in the story didn't help. I don't dislike their friendship or their romance, but it's exhausting to always see them again. This could have been so much more about Diana and the Amazons + some fun with Swamp Thing and the Spectre. And it's not as if Diana gets a role in Clark's or Bruce's Future State stories. Heck, she doesn't even get mentioned in the other FS Wonder titles.
    This would probably be my main point of contention as well. I'm not denying that her relationships with both of them is a part of her history but to make a point of comparison she's an off-handed reference in The Dark Knight Returns (doing the world a favor ignoring the sequels) and not even referenced at all in All-Star Superman. Especially since also we didn't get any indication on the fates of characters from her own mythos (Steve, Etta, Hippolyta, Donna, etc) and I've also tended to sour in recent years on her being particularly close to Bruce and Clark.

I was more annoyed by the fact that Darkseid was used instead of Ares or literally any other WW villain. And even Nubia's story had Grail (but at least along with Circe), that's too much New Gods for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    Wonder Woman caused a Big Bang by slamming her bracelets together thus jumpstarting a new Universe. That’s as big a feat as they get.
    She can create a Big Bang. But an old Superman can fight Darkseid better than her, the so called immortal Goddess? Sure, that sounds right. sigh

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    She can create a Big Bang. But an old Superman can fight Darkseid better than her, the so called immortal Goddess? Sure, that sounds right. sigh
    That's not what happened as far as I could tell, they were both getting their butts handed to them til Superman flew himself into the sun and took Darkseid with him

That's not what happened as far as I could tell, they were both getting their butts handed to them til Superman flew himself into the sun and took Darkseid with him
    Himself, Darkseid and the whole Earth.

Yeah, Clark was getting his butt handed to him too. Diana had to come help him, they were helping each other.

An old superman was more capable of physically restraining Datkseid to fly into the sun with him, than the Goddess WW. And the fact that Darkseid and i assume "Goddess Immortal" WW can be killed by the heat of the sun is well, i guess Gods have kinda low standards in DC these day.

BANNED

An old superman was more capable of physically restraining Datkseid to fly into the sun with him, than the Goddess WW. And the fact that Darkseid and i assume "Goddess Immortal" WW can be killed by the heat of the sun is well, i guess Gods have kinda low standards in DC these day.
    That's fine. "Gods" in that sense are boring. I like 'em like MCU Thor, where they can be hurt, since they're not abstracts-- Just more powerful than most.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    That's fine. "Gods" in that sense are boring. I like 'em like MCU Thor, where they can be hurt, since they're not abstracts-- Just more powerful than most.
    They aren't boring. It's what they should be. More powerful than most, then i expect a God to not be helpless againt darkseid, if superman can fight him, so should the so called Goddess. An old SM did more than the Goddess. It tells us all we need to know about how little respect WW and hger verse get.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

They aren't boring. It's what they should be. More powerful than most, then i expect a God to not be helpless againt darkseid, if superman can fight him, so should the so called Goddess. An old SM did more than the Goddess. It tells us all we need to know about how little respect WW and hger verse get.
    Same old same old.

BANNED

"God/Goddess" does not have to mean all powerful, nor should it. It's just a label and is up for interpretation. Michael Jordan is called a "god," but I don't think he'll survive being thrown into the sun either.

"God/Goddess" does not have to mean all powerful, nor should it. It's just a label and is up for interpretation. Michael Jordan is called a "god," but I don't think he'll survive being thrown into the sun either.
    jordan is a human being. WW is a fictional character and is called a Goddess by the literal meaning of the word. Not to mention that DC constantly hypes her up saying how powerful she is. Well, if she really is all that, i think it is time they actually show it on panel.

Mighty Member

God/Goddess should either mean extremely powerful or not used at all as a title, Michael Jordan was called a god because people thought he was above all the other basketball players which kind of means the most powerful, and DC should just finally keep away Superman from Wonder Woman if they are still too incompetent to portray both well in the same issue and i have to agree that it is just incredible stupid to have an old Superman do better against Darkseid if Wonder Woman creates just a few panels later a goddamn Big Bang.