Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The art didn't work at all for me. I didn't care for Jon's voice over. The back up was a waist of pages that the Superman part really needed.

On the plus side he got a little emotion from the characters.

I'll read the next issue, but I expect more. I hope I enjoy Action more than this.

Future story = kon vs the SUPERs
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Incredible Member

Issue was... fine. At least the main story. The back-up was a neat idea (how does their new status affect the people of Metropolis?) taken in a very dull direction (Bibbo is miserable and also a Daily Planet writer now, because the franchise was lacking in reporters apparently).

Hester's style doesn't really fit but he still managed to do some good stuff here. PKJ's narration basically telling me how to feel was redundant considering visuals and the conversation at the end between Clark and Jon got the exact same points across and more in a much more effective, emotional way. Weird to see Supes so friendly with Star Labs now when he was fantasizing with destroying it in the last issue of Action Comics. Interesting to see Amanda Waller involved and getting information on something that affects a full Kryptonian but not a half-Kryptonian (considering her interest in Kon). Overall did manage to get accross the bittersweet feeling it was clearly aiming for, but not much else.

Has anyone decoded what the Kryptonese in this issue said?

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    Issue was... fine. At least the main story. The back-up was a neat idea (how does their new status affect the people of Metropolis?) taken in a very dull direction (Bibbo is miserable and also a Daily Planet writer now, because the franchise was lacking in reporters apparently).
    This also bugged me about the backup. Like there isn't a pretty full bench of reporters at the Daily Planet that would allow them to explore these types of stories that we have to pull Bibbo in?

But "fine" is a pretty good summation of this issue for me. It definitely did not feel like a new launching point for the series. More like a fill in almost.

Honestly, anytime I see Amanda Waller in a story I feel tired, just can see where it's going. It's the same thing with Lex, but with him at least he is part of the mythos and iconic to Superman so I can sort of see why he is so used, but another story with Waller pulling the strings in the shadows, doing a lot of shade stuff and getting away with it, it just not what I'm in the mood in my Superman books. Let's see what PKJ does, but so far my interest dropped a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    The art didn't work at all for me. I didn't care for Jon's voice over. The back up was a waist of pages that the Superman part really needed.

On the plus side he got a little emotion from the characters.

I'll read the next issue, but I expect more. I hope I enjoy Action more than this.
    Action is part 2 of the Golden Age so it will be more of the same. The “proper” runs won’t start until next month.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Wow, Lois is pretty much a non-entity in this. Not a good sign.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

This was a very lackluster start, but I guess it's to get new readers situated with the current status quo in case they haven't been reading. Not a fan of how not much happened in the issue, looking forward to this 2 part story ending and the story kicking into gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Wow, Lois is pretty much a non-entity in this. Not a good sign.
    to be expected sadly, at least we were warned about this.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    And all I care about right now is Jon being de-aged, I have no intention of compromising or giving up on this issue. I don't care about Bendis at all and If I were in charge I 'd de-age Jon regardless of Bendis's feelings. And frankly Bendis isn't pulling in the sales they expected, and I doubt AT&T is going to agree to renew his contract at the same pay rate since they're cutting costs.
    Yeah, I would think with Didio gone -- he was the guy who lusted after "superstars" like Bendis -- DC wouldn't feel so beholden to Bendis' ideas but maybe I'm wrong.

Fantastic Member

It was an ok issue but I am still optimistic about this run. It feels like this Golden Age thing is a editorial glue between Bendis and the current direction. Art was extremely dated, needles to say.

I gave up on Bendis's Superman within few months. May I ask for a summary how Bendis "ruined" Superman other than aging and secret id plots?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by madmodpoetgod View Post
    I gave up on Bendis's Superman within few months. May I ask for a summary how Bendis "ruined" Superman other than aging and secret id plots?
    Made the Legion be inspired by Jon rather than Clark. I think that's the only other change people complain about (the founding of the United Planets was one of the most important changes but I haven't seen people complain about it ruining anything).

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Action is part 2 of the Golden Age so it will be more of the same. The “proper” runs won’t start until next month.
    Thank you, I did not know that.

I see Action has a backup as well. Looking at Comixology I see more back ups. I'm not a fan of the price for back ups I have no interest in. Gonna have to give this some thought.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Thank you, I did not know that.

I see Action has a backup as well. Looking at Comixology I see more back ups. I'm not a fan of the price for back ups I have no interest in. Gonna have to give this some thought.
    That's understandable, I at least liked how for the batman books, the backups contributed to things happening in the main story. Not a fan of the backups in the superman books seemingly unrelated to what's going on in the main story.

I think the idea of backups is to flesh out Superman's corner, but I think this is a trap that many new series fall into - if we don't care about the main character(s) then we are not going to care about some world building either regardless of how good it is. Now, Superman is not a new series and not a new property, but this is new status quo and its not like previous stuff by Bendis was universally praised, So I think that at the start every page should be dedicated to hooking us with the new status quo.

BANNED

Not that intriguing start for the first issue of the run,
    but PKJ has his way of storytelling, like his work at Black Label Last God,
    so I'm hoping he does have something awesome up his sleeve.