Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Star Wars A New Hope vs Annie Hall (Oscars 1978)

I was chatting with some film fans, they claim to be the ''experts of the arts''. One of them was insisting it was a mistake ,A new Hope was not awarded best picture, he said it would have been good for the industry and science fi genre if a new hope had won, the other was saying, no, He thought Annie Hall was the rightful winner and a new hope was just a waste of time about toy advertisement.

I think both made good points, but I found myself leaning towards A New Hope. that it should have won best picture above Annie Hall.

Call me old fashioned, but I like movies not directed by pedophiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Call me old fashioned, but I like movies not directed by pedophiles.
    So if you're favorite movie of all time was directed by someone who people sayd was a pedophile you it wouldn't be you're favorite movie anymore?

Star Wars was and is just a B Movie. Annie Hall was and is a better film in practically every way.

Director morality is irrelevant for this discussion since George Lucas sleeps with Ewoks. Or, he would if they were real.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    So if you're favorite movie of all time was directed by someone who people sayd was a pedophile you it wouldn't be you're favorite movie anymore?
    Yes. Which is your favorite pedophile-directed movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Yes. Which is your favorite pedophile-directed movie?
    I guess a few Roman Polanski movies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Star Wars was and is just a B Movie. Annie Hall was and is a better film in practically every way.

Director morality is irrelevant for this discussion since George Lucas sleeps with Ewoks. Or, he would if they were real.
    Thanks for that.

I think Annie Hall was more of those films that still reminds you of golden age Hollywood, so it is more oscar type and the acting was better too than star wars, I will still have given it to star wars though although Annie Hall did have it's own big impact.

Fantastic Member

I hate Woody Allen movies. Hated Annie Hall. Nothing to do with him being a pedophile. His character just annoys the hell out of me.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

There's nothing Oscar worthy about Star Wars.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    I hate Woody Allen movies. Hated Annie Hall. Nothing to do with him being a pedophile. His character just annoys the hell out of me.
    So you think it should have gone to Star Wars by default because of this?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    So you think it should have gone to Star Wars by default because of this?
    I really don't know which film "should" have gotten the best film Oscar. My favorite films never win best picture. All I can say is there's nothing I liked about Annie Hall. And I loved Star Wars.

I am glad Star Wars got the best editing Oscar. It's a masterwork of editing and turned a possible disaster into a greatly paced action film.
    Last edited by evolutionaryFan; 03-09-2021 at 03:17 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    I really don't know which film "should" have gotten the best film Oscar. My favorite films never win best picture. All I can say is there's nothing I liked about Annie Hall. And I loved Star Wars.

I am glad Star Wars got the best editing Oscar. It's a masterwork of editing and turned a possible disaster into a greatly paced action film.
    I think I will take it as star wars for you.

Star wars will always do well in the technical categories, best picture was never a chance, poor lucas but not that he needs it.

So the guy who makes McDonalds french fries pleases way more people by capita than the guy who cooks gourmet food at the fanciest restaurant in town ever will. Lucas happens to be like that fry cook - never winning a cooking award but pleasing tons of people right and left his whole life.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    So the guy who makes McDonalds french fries pleases way more people by capita than the guy who cooks gourmet food at the fanciest restaurant in town ever will. Lucas happens to be like that fry cook - never winning a cooking award but pleasing tons of people right and left his whole life.
    Lucas is a good director and producer. he is an okay writer, I think this was the issue with the prequels. it was the writing. I think writing was the best strength of Woody Allen as a film maker.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Lucas is a good director and producer. he is an okay writer, I think this was the issue with the prequels. it was the writing. I think writing was the best strength of Woody Allen as a film maker.
    Yah I was thinking more about it and there is not one Woody Allen film that I enjoyed back in the day that I could tolerate now. With the one exception maybe being Play it Again Sam.

But Star Wars still holds up today. Something to be said for that and maybe because of that it should have gotten the Oscar. Oscars are so much products of their time, though.