Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    If they really terraform Mars i wonder if the writers will adress the issue of it also requiring constant upkeep afterwards?

Because from what i recall the predominant theory on why Mars couldn't become hospital for life (or at least more complex life than bacteria), despite still being relatively in the habitable zone around the sun, was because it was too small, had too little gravity and a too weak magnetosphere to prevent most of it's atmosphere from being blown into space by solar wind.

No atmosphere, no regulated temperature, no liquid water, no clouds, no greenhouse effect, no oceans, no active complex life.

So even if these mutants from the cover somehow magic an atmosphere into existence, they would then require to actualy stick on it and constantly maintain what they did, or else it would get blown into space all over again.
    Many works of science fiction involving a terraformed Mars show giant machinery in the backround for a reason.

And if they employ Krakoa machinery all over again, it runs the high risk that the moment their partnership with it gets rocky, Mars might turn back into a lifeless rust sand covered rock within days.

That is of course if the writers are bothered by these real world science thoughts in their comic about a universe full of magic, super powers and fantastic pseudo science.
    I think you bring up several good points, which are kind of answered in showing these four on the cover. Bobby and Ororo to create an atmosphere that can sustain life. Erik to alter the magnetosphere (likely with some Lorna assistance), and Jean to create zones of tk shields to allow them to do their work and expand slowly across the planet.

Mighty Member

I'm looking forward to this, but man Marvel need to calm down a second. With this mini event on top of their summer event (Heroes Reborn) along with Spider-man turning weekly for a month, they sure are strangling me it seems. Hopefully after this, they just calm down with everything.
    If some of the books I get skip June too, that would make life easier.

Regardless, this looks cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    As someone who never read Dune, what are the similarities between it and Hickman's story?
    Vague, but at least in a similar ball park.

Moira X sort-of having future knowledge and using it to try to create a path for mutantkind to survive is kind of like Dune, but also kind-of like the purpose of Psychohistory in Foundation.

Dune also has, as part of its set-up, a Jihad against technology and thinking machines, which mostly serves as an explanation for Humanity's reliance on consciousness expanding drugs and Humans who are able to think like computers as a replacement. Some (incorrectly, I think) read this as a war against Artificial Intelligences, like Skynet or something, but there is little to suggest that was ever the author's intent - most likely Humanity simply came to distrust thinking machines, as we now come to question the role of machine learning algorithms in our lives.

Oh, and a further point, an argument could be made that Krakoa's Human drugs fulfil a similar role to the Spice in Dune, being an essential export that gives whoever controls the production immense leverage.
    Last edited by Frobisher; 03-10-2021 at 08:07 AM.

BANNED

Ugh! Just when I just finished digesting King In Black
    Last edited by Micabe; 03-10-2021 at 09:37 AM.

I am super excited for this mini event. Glad it will span is twelve issues.

I also hope we get some line-up changes after this and I sure do hope we get Uncanny X-Men as the new X-Men team title book.

edit: can't wait for all the looks and hook ups.
    A picture would last longer darling...

Extraordinary Member

Wolverine recently suggested the X-Men do something with Mars following his own visit to the red planet in Black, White, and Blood. There is a terriformed section already with a forest and where there's no need for any protective gear.

If they really do terraform mars, can you imagine how much those services would go for in a galaxy full of dead or dying planets. How many species in the MU could potentially benefit from a new home world or a repaired one. This could easily be a team and i could easily see Jean eager to be on it and help rebuild some stars.

I also guess as said it is a great way to fight back against the machines. They may be able to even restore lost life to planets that use to have forests and stuff and bring more natural balance to them.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member

So there are 11 monthly x titles? Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    I think you bring up several good points, which are kind of answered in showing these four on the cover. Bobby and Ororo to create an atmosphere that can sustain life. Erik to alter the magnetosphere (likely with some Lorna assistance), and Jean to create zones of tk shields to allow them to do their work and expand slowly across the planet.
    I would think the principle would be no different than Storm bringing wind to the world. By analyzing the planet and it's energies etc she should with the help of the other Omegas be able to use what is constituted for energy there and use that to create some form of atmosphere. Where ever they are she already got the wind up and running on that cover.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    My immediate thought is that the purpose of mutants expanding out into space is to reconnect the X-Men franchise with galactic Marvel.

It's somewhat ironic that a decade ago, this was treated like a way to abandon Lorna, Rachel and Havok off in space. Further ironic that before the Fox merger, the idea of the X-Men going off to their own separate planet away from Earth seemed to be universally reviled. I suppose Marvel no longer trying to turn Inhumans into a replacement for the X-Men, and a massive amount of promotion into the franchise and Hickman taking over since 2019, changed the landscape for most people.
    I think the real irony here is that they were trying to turn the Inhumans into the X-men and now, whether they realize it or not (though I think they'd have to be blind not to) they're turning the X-men into the Inhumans..and even more ironic is the fact that a lot of same X-men fans that were spewing hate at the Inhumans not too long ago are praising this era and what mutants have become.

the parallels are obvious..living on the moon..separating themselves..an attitude of superiority..pod people..just to name a few

Mutants in this era have just become 'alien'..I mean the major backdrop Krakoa, the mutant homeland, is a completely alien looking environment

This really isn't the X-men...this is basically an expanded upon Inhumans with X-men characters (and for the most part just the characters in a visual sense)

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I do not mind this event as it plays in the current series, they only bring out a oneshort as take-off issue. So, that does not need much extra cash. Now Heroes Reborn, yup, that will cost my dearly.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I would think the principle would be no different than Storm bringing wind to the world. By analyzing the planet and it's energies etc she should with the help of the other Omegas be able to use what is constituted for energy there and use that to create some form of atmosphere. Where ever they are she already got the wind up and running on that cover.
    Call me immature, but I can't keep a straight face when talking about Storm generating wind.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Their capes and hair flowing upwards is most likely the lack of gravity on the planet.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Call me immature, but I can't keep a straight face when talking about Storm generating wind.
    Or, creating enough breathable oxygen in order to support an entire planet from complete nothingness.
    Last edited by Micabe; 03-10-2021 at 09:45 AM.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Or, creating enough breathable oxygen in order to support an entire planet from complete nothingness.
    It's in sync with Bobby. Mars has ice in it's crust and underground, as well as limited water vapor in the air. Bobby can use his themokinesis to manipulate the water and create additional ice. Storm then uses her powers of the weather to also help with the vapor, but most importantly uses her electricity to conduct electrolysis on the water, creating hydrogen and oxygen. With Jean using her tk to create a confined atmosphere they can eventually do this on a mass level to support an entire planet out of nothingness. They aren't omegas for nothing.

Also you're forgetting there is already a terraformed portion on Mars that they could begin working from.