Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Not allowing my joy to be subsumed by negativity.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 03-10-2021 at 11:57 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Moira X sort-of having future knowledge and using it to try to create a path for mutantkind to survive is kind of like Dune, but also kind-of like the purpose of Psychohistory in Foundation.
    This is one reason i keep guessing that Moira X is actualy a precog and not someone who can (of all things) reset the universe. What she thought to be full lifes she lived through might have instead been just visions of 9 timelines she predicted, with her previous prediction working into the next until she hit her limit with 9 at which point she was born. With her unborn mind unable to comprehend what just happend she simply understood it as having actualy lived said lifes. However said predictions are only limited to what she would experience, rather than having a omni-sensual viewpoint, hence the possibility of giving her the false impression the entire universe hinges on her existence.

This would also play into her opposition with Destiny. A person who not only only developed her powers long after having allready formed a mind to comprehend her visions, but also had spend decades allready getting used to having them.

Dune also has, as part of its set-up, a Jihad against technology and thinking machines, which mostly serves as an explanation for Humanity's reliance on consciousness expanding drugs and Humans who are able to think like computers as a replacement. Some (incorrectly, I think) read this as a war against Artificial Intelligences, like Skynet or something, but there is little to suggest that was ever the author's intent - most likely Humanity simply came to distrust thinking machines, as we now come to question the role of machine learning algorithms in our lives.
    Recalling from memory here, so i might mix some bits up.
    The two interpretation of the Butlerian war against thinking machines comes from Frank Herbert's son Brian Herbert who continuned his fathers work on the Dune franchise after the formers passing. Writing both a series of sequel novels and prequels, which did infact portray the event as a Terminator esque war between humans and artifical intelligences.
    He did so claiming to work from his farthers note, but friends of Herbert including fellow sci-fi writer (and author of the Dune Encyclopedia) Willis E. McNelly claim that Brain's work contradict what his father told them of his plans.

McNelly's account of how Frank had ploted the event (and how it was written in the Encyclopedia) goes with the idea that a Bene Geserit sister named Butler revealed how thinking machines have gained far too much influence over humans, having made them both overly reliant on them and stunting their ability to think and act for themself. Which launched a religiosly powered social uprising against all thinking machines. For the sake of making humans self reliant again.
    So less terminator war and more galaxy wide protests, rioting and selective destruction in the believe that machines make humans too lazy. Closer to the events in Player Piano.

Herbert's heirs, especialy Brain reject these claims however and insist that Brain's version of the events are the true canoncial one. It's one of these messy situations.

Oh, and a further point, an argument could be made that Krakoa's Human drugs fufill a similar role to the Spice in Dune, being an essential export that gives whoever controls the production immense leverage.
    Krakoa's drugs have not reached anything close to the role and importance of Spice yet. But the idea of a medical substance being a massive bargain chip for the only faction that can produce them, is indeed something Dune has done prominently.
    Last edited by Grunty; 03-10-2021 at 12:14 PM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I can't wait for:

"OMEGA POWERS...ACTIVATE!!!"
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by comicboy12 View Post
    God, Jean looks dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    I know she's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but no need to be harsh.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Yeah Hickman needs to get over his hard-on for this retro Jean Grey uniform. She deserved a modernized new uniform for the Krakoa era since the beginning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Jean has a horrible case of Peter Pan Syndrome it's honestly tragic let the past go sis.
    She's going through a mid-life crisis. Like a soccer mom who wants to see if her high school cheerleading uniform still fits.
    Guys please stop, dear god I'm at work and this is HILARIOUS!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Hickman is literally the reason that uniform came back. The only reason we got a Dauterman uniform is because Dauterman told Hickman he wanted to give Jean Grey a new look in Giant Size. It definitely is up to Hickman to not push the retro look. I mean he has said it in interviews that he chose it.
    TRUTH! He set the precedence for her being in the uniform and is the only reason she is predominantly in that uniform and nothing stresses that more than the GSI Dauterman had to advocate for Jean to be in ANYTHING else and thank the fire gods for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I loved Duggan’s Uncanny Avengers run with Rogue, Deadpool and real Cable. Hope we get that Duggan on this.

Lord I hope so, I know many are fans of his Marauders but I've found it lacking in almost every area, I feel like it is a decent book that would be considered good in any other era. However in this era of big ideas, his stories are sort of just there, he also has a disjointed usage of his cast, no nuance in his story beats, and just a very minimal scope in his narrative which is odd for a book with a premise about "pirates".

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Jean on the cover of Planet-Size X-Men #1. Pepe's Jean remains superior, and the costume looks phenomenal here.

I think you're onto something, the Five are the resurrection protocol, The Six are multiversal teleportation system...is the Four planetary terraforming?

I stole the Four idea from the Ororo respect thread and I think this might be purposeful!

EDIT--I now wondering if Xavier and the Cerebro unit would be considered the One considering it's use, and I wonder if we will have Twelve total specific combinations of mutant technologies.
    Last edited by Celestialbodies; 03-11-2021 at 12:07 PM.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    The Hellfire logo is so...ugly??? Loo but im hype for this book so excited to get into the HFG now.

Also Iceman with the hip tooted, i know thats right!!!
    It's because it's the same ugly ass design all the X-titles use regardless of if it fits the books or not (which is almost always not)

Planet Size is giving me flashbacks to those (untrue?) rumors that the mutants were going to leave earth and get their own planet at some point.

The hellfire logo is indeed hideous. I know it's supposed to be a pitchfork but all I see is that stupid McDonald's french frie fork

The hellfire logo is indeed hideous. I know it's supposed to be a pitchfork but all I see is that stupid McDonald's french frie fork

They should have removed the fork and the rest of it works, I don't know what the hell the actual logo was suppose to represent, it is awful!

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    It's because it's the same ugly ass design all the X-titles use regardless of if it fits the books or not (which is almost always not)

Planet Size is giving me flashbacks to those (untrue?) rumors that the mutants were going to leave earth and get their own planet at some point.
    They went to Hell, so they were true-ish.

Extraordinary Member

Someone should change all the food at the gala to Mcdonalds just to screw with Emma.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex. View Post
    They went to Hell, so they were true-ish.
    The went to Hell before those rumors

If I recall to sepcifically came with the leaks involving Civil War 2, where Odysseus was going to be named Homer

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    The went to Hell before those rumors
    If I'm not mistaken, these rumors were flying around before the Terrigen Mist being released in the atmosphere. Are you sure they were flying around after that?

Astonishing Member

Hey, rember in powers of x moria's 9th life had sinister creat a chimera colony on Mars and screw over the xmen... I think that he's doing that now

I'm hoping the Gala won't overstay itsw welcome like X of Swords did.