Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Is Superman TAS in HD on HBO Max?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Yes! At least that’s what I’m seeing on Twitter.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    It looks that way, yes, and it does say HD in the HBO Max listing - doesn't look restored like the Batman episodes, but still looks really good!
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Hopefully it gets a blu-ray release soon.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Hopefully it gets a blu-ray release soon.
    It will eventually; I sold my DVDs recently to get ahead of the curve, lol
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Trips into the multiverse would have been fun as well as letting Clark tackle some harder issues akin to the golden age. If I'm being succinct, I think being too beholden to the Byrne reboot hurt the series in the way that BTAS mostly pulled from whatever they liked about Batman (with a strong emphasis on the bronze age). Stuff like Mxy made it in, but after a season or two of Clark being the last son, there's no reason why he can't find Kara Zor-El, Krypto, etc. Just go nuts with it. Have him go to another Earth, meet Kal-L and they get in a fight over the right way to be Superman. Go wild. It's Superman!

There's a lot to like about STAS and I still quite enjoy it, warts and all, but its biggest flaw is that it didn't get to embrace the full breadth of the character.

Quote Originally Posted by robanker View Post
    trips into the multiverse would have been fun as well as letting clark tackle some harder issues akin to the golden age. If i'm being succinct, i think being too beholden to the byrne reboot hurt the series in the way that btas mostly pulled from whatever they liked about batman (with a strong emphasis on the bronze age). Stuff like mxy made it in, but after a season or two of clark being the last son, there's no reason why he can't find kara zor-el, krypto, etc. Just go nuts with it. Have him go to another earth, meet kal-l and they get in a fight over the right way to be superman. Go wild. It's superman!

There's a lot to like about stas and i still quite enjoy it, warts and all, but its biggest flaw is that it didn't get to embrace the full breadth of the character.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Trips into the multiverse would have been fun as well as letting Clark tackle some harder issues akin to the golden age. If I'm being succinct, I think being too beholden to the Byrne reboot hurt the series in the way that BTAS mostly pulled from whatever they liked about Batman (with a strong emphasis on the bronze age). Stuff like Mxy made it in, but after a season or two of Clark being the last son, there's no reason why he can't find Kara Zor-El, Krypto, etc. Just go nuts with it. Have him go to another Earth, meet Kal-L and they get in a fight over the right way to be Superman. Go wild. It's Superman!

There's a lot to like about STAS and I still quite enjoy it, warts and all, but its biggest flaw is that it didn't get to embrace the full breadth of the character.
    It really felt like it was just getting started and was getting really good... about the time they canceled it and made Justice League instead. JL was GOOD, but not quite the same thing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Case in point Goku who's main introduction in the US was at a point where he was strong enough to easily clobber pretty much anyone from the Timmverse yet never suffered from this "too powerful" phenomenon western comic book fandom believes in so deeply.
    Difference there, I think, is Superman has a vast array of powers like Heat Vision, ice breath, super hearing, super-sight that a character like Goku doesn’t really have.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 03-21-2021 at 12:12 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Difference there, I think, is Superman has a vast array of powers like Heat Vision, ice breath, super hearing, super-sight that a character like Goku doesn’t really have.
    The actual list of powers Goku has is pretty ridiculous.

It is canon that Goku actually has a form of precognition. It's not mentioned often so it's not clear if he can use it in fights though. It MIGHT be how he beat Hit though. Either that or he was able to guess what Hit would do so accurately that he was functionally seeing ahead in time. But whether he used it vs Hit is a DBS thing and he gained the power in the original DB.

Chi-sense: if you don't know how to mask your chi, Goku can literally sense you miles away.

He can use the "After-image" technique to create illusions that look like him.

Then there's the variety of "might as well be magic" things that you can use chi manipulation for outside combat.

And that's just early DBZ. He gets MORE later.

The core question here is actually something that Toriyama-sama addressed in interviews. He stopped using scouter numbers because he felt they were too limiting as a story telling device. Also the numbers didn't mean as much as fans thought they did either.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post

It is canon that Goku actually has a form of precognition. It's not mentioned often so it's not clear if he can use it in fights though. It MIGHT be how he beat Hit though. Either that or he was able to guess what Hit would do so accurately that he was functionally seeing ahead in time. But whether he used it vs Hit is a DBS thing and he gained the power in the original DB.

Chi-sense: if you don't know how to mask your chi, Goku can literally sense you miles away.

Then there's the variety of "might as well be magic" things that you can use chi manipulation for outside combat.

The core question here is actually something that Toriyama-sama addressed in interviews. He stopped using scouter numbers because he felt they were too limiting as a story telling device. Also the numbers didn't mean as much as fans thought they did either.
    Let's not forget the magic flying cloud and transforming into a giant ape

Astonishing Member

Yes, but Superman can survive the sun, and breath in space. Goku isn’t able to do those things. Goku’s abilities pale in comparison. Superman can do practically anything. It’s crazy.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 03-21-2021 at 05:53 PM.

- Charles Schultz.

Yes, but Superman can survive the sun, and breath in space. Goku isn’t able to do those things. Goku’s abilities pale in comparison. Superman can do practically anything. It’s crazy.
    Kryptonians can't actually breathe in space. They have to hold their breath or suffocate. Which... is pretty much the same thing Saiyans do. Heck one of the most spectacular fights in DBZ was fought high in the atmosphere of planet Vegeta. It's way past the point where Earth would have breathable air.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt_g8ieMTd0
    Also Dragon Ball rules basically just say the sun is really hot and not necessarily the most destructive energy source.

Astonishing Member

Kryptonians can't actually breathe in space. They have to hold their breath or suffocate. Which... is pretty much the same thing Saiyans do. Heck one of the most spectacular fights in DBZ was fought high in the atmosphere of planet Vegeta. It's way past the point where Earth would have breathable air.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt_g8ieMTd0
    Also Dragon Ball rules basically just say the sun is really hot and not necessarily the most destructive energy source.
    Is there any evidence that Goku can survive in space long enough to go close to the sun like some of the most powerful versions of Supes? Keep in mind, I’m only going by the manga canon. Not really the anime.

Actually saying Superman can breath in space is actually silly on my part since there is no air in space, what I really meant to say he can survive in space for long periods of time without needing any planetary oxygen. In canon, Goku has shown no ability to hold his breath for that long enough to fly to the sun. He cannot survive in outerspace like some of the most powerful versions of Superman can. Can you name an instance in which Goku can freely survive outer space like other versions of Superman has been shown to do?

Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 03-22-2021 at 08:09 AM.

- Charles Schultz.

Is there any evidence that Goku can survive in space long enough to go close to the sun like some of the most powerful versions of Supes? Keep in mind, I’m only going by the manga canon. Not really the anime.

Actually saying Superman can breath in space is actually silly on my part since there is no air in space, what I really meant to say he can survive in space for long periods of time without needing any planetary oxygen. In canon, Goku has shown no ability to hold his breath for that long enough to fly to the sun. He cannot survive in outerspace like some of the most powerful versions of Superman can. Can you name an instance in which Goku can freely survive outer space like other versions of Superman has been shown to do?
    That's something they don't actually discuss often enough to say yes or no. There have been multiple times where we saw Saiyans in situations where an actual RW Human wouldn't be able to breathe. Bardock vs Frieza's men was simply one of many examples.

The problem with the part I marked.... Goku has never TRIED. He's demonstrated he wouldn't die until he ran out of air. Which would seemingly take less time than a Kryptonian. Although I don't think there was ever an episode where they gave a time limit. I remember one Supergirl story where IIRC she claimed to be able to hold her breath for 4 hours. But... that means Superman can't "freely" survive either. Both races need to breathe, the question is how long it takes to suffocate.
    Last edited by marhawkman; 03-22-2021 at 11:56 AM.