Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    That feels more like plot contrivance to me as he couldn't even have Peter be the one to tell her his secret.
    It's not in Peter's nature to tell secrets. There are three major occassions where Peter has voluntarily admitted his identity:
    -- To Timothy Harrison in "The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man"
    -- To the Press in "Civil War".
    -- To Jameson in "My Dinner with Jonah".

Most other times people found the identity or came across it by accident including MJ herself.

He's a fairly passive guy in that respect.

Suddenly, May's chatting up with the other Avengers and Stark's butler.
    Wow two people in the same age group talking to each other once they are living together. Obviously such a thing is a totally alien situation that can never happen.

Spectacular Member

That feels more like plot contrivance to me as he couldn't even have Peter be the one to tell her his secret. That shows that the narrative is playing out the story for him.

Suddenly, May's chatting up with the other Avengers and Stark's butler.
    Your point being what now?
    The plots or May as a character?

Because plot contrivance? Let's see:

- Spends around 200 issues conveniently on her death bed and is nothing more than a walking, taking plot device to pile more angst on Peter:
    - Actually married Doc Ock...married Doc Ock!
    - Is killed, no actually it was an actress
    - Marries again, who? JJJ´s father who appears out of nowhere...and is killed.
    - Starts working at a food shelter (nice), its owner? A crime boss...of course.

I mean, please tell me at least you can see the pattern?

By the time Peter joins the Avengers she knows his secret...how difficult can it be to imagine her getting immersed in his spidey life?Harder than the examples I gave you?

As for Peter telling the secret, it has been established by that point if, given a choice, Peter will not reveal his identity to anyone much less May, so either someone else tells her or she finds out they way she did.
    Let me try to understand, your complaint now is not that she found out, it's the way she did?

Bendis did the same thing on USM, she found out, and (imo) made her an even better character.
    Last edited by Noronha; 04-01-2021 at 04:37 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Noronha View Post
    I have to correct you here. May and Otto never got married. People confuse the cover for the issue with the actual story, but Otto and May went to the altar but then Hammerhead crashed the wedding and it never took place. May and Otto had some kinda romance and engagement but no marriage, and until Jonah's Dad became Mr. Aunt May she never married after Ben died.

Bendis did the same thing on USM, she found out, and (imo) made her an even better character.
    Not sure about that, I generally think that Bendis' Aunt May came off as more an idea for a character than an actual character, she definitely didn't feel as interesting or thought out as for instance Ultimate Jonah did.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I have to correct you here. May and Otto never got married. People confuse the cover for the issue with the actual story, but Otto and May went to the altar but then Hammerhead crashed the wedding and it never took place. May and Otto had some kinda romance and engagement but no marriage, and until Jonah's Dad became Mr. Aunt May she never married after Ben died.

Not sure about that, I generally think that Bendis' Aunt May came off as more an idea for a character than an actual character, she definitely didn't feel as interesting or thought out as for instance Ultimate Jonah did.

Ok, cool, I misremembered, but my point still stands, marriage or no marriage.

I love ultimate May, but here we enter the realm of opinions and taste, yours is just different and I´m perfectly ok with that.

BANNED

Ok, cool, I misremembered, but my point still stands, marriage or no marriage.

I love ultimate May, but here we enter the realm of opinions and taste, yours is just different and I´m perfectly ok with that.
    Cool...

Astonishing Member

Your point being what now?
    The plots or May as a character?

Because plot contrivance? Let's see:

- Spends around 200 issues conveniently on her death bed and is nothing more than a walking, taking plot device to pile more angst on Peter:
    - Is killed, no actually it was an actress
    - Marries again, who? JJJ´s father who appears out of nowhere...and is killed.
    - Starts working at a food shelter (nice), its owner? A crime boss...of course.

I mean, please tell me at least you can see the pattern?

By the time Peter joins the Avengers she knows his secret...how difficult can it be to imagine her getting immersed in his spidey life?Harder than the examples I gave you?

As for Peter telling the secret, it has been established by that point if, given a choice, Peter will not reveal his identity to anyone much less May, so either someone else tells her or she finds out they way she did.
    Let me try to understand, your complaint now is not that she found out, it's the way she did?

That completely ignores most of her stories in 616, so forgive me if I take your opinion with a grain of salt. After all, to her, Peter is just something for her to angst over as well, since he's her only family left and spent most of his life as a weakling.

Spectacular Member

That completely ignores most of her stories in 616, so forgive me if I take your opinion with a grain of salt. After all, to her, Peter is just something for her to angst over as well, since he's her only family left and spent most of his life as a weakling.
    In other words...a plot device
    Something that JMS tried to change by giving her more, making her a part of Peter´s actual life and actually having an opinion, a saying in his decisions.

No need to ask to apologise I take my own opinions with a grain of salt, after all they're just that, opinions
    Last edited by Noronha; 04-01-2021 at 11:02 AM.

Astonishing Member

In other words...a plot device
    Something that JMS tried to change by giving her more, making her a part of Peter´s actual life and actually having an opinion, a saying in his decisions.

No need to ask to apologise I take my own opinions with a grain of salt, after all they're just that, opinions
    The fact that her life now completely revolves around Peter is what's disappointing for me. That's when characters are at their most uninteresting.

Mighty Member

It's not in Peter's nature to tell secrets. There are three major occassions where Peter has voluntarily admitted his identity:
    -- To Timothy Harrison in "The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man"
    -- To the Press in "Civil War".
    -- To Jameson in "My Dinner with Jonah".

Most other times people found the identity or came across it by accident including MJ herself.
    Felicia Hardy is on line 1 for you.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    And how exactly did that transpire?

Peter revealed his identity and Felicia laughed at him and mocked him for living in a s--ty apartment.

The exception proves why exactly Peter is reluctant to go ahead and do it. Revealing his identity actually marked the start of the end of their relationship as a couple.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Peter revealed his identity and Felicia laughed at him and mocked him for living in a s--ty apartment.

The exception proves why exactly Peter is reluctant to go ahead and do it. Revealing his identity actually marked the start of the end of their relationship as a couple.
    Worse than that. She freaked out at the sight of his face and begged him to put his mask back on.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Mighty Member

Which had more to do with why Felicia was interested in him to begin with as opposed to Peter being Peter. Regardless, the point stands that this wasn't an identity reveal which got retconned, hand waved away, or wiped out in a deus ex machina. I would argue that Felicia has been as staunch a friend over the long term as people he's known for a lot longer *cough* Harry * cough*

Spectacular Member

You realise that your one example vs multiple ones makes it an exception rather than the norm?
    Thus not invalidating his argument but rather strengthening it?

Spectacular Member

Which had more to do with why Felicia was interested in him to begin with as opposed to Peter being Peter. Regardless, the point stands that this wasn't an identity reveal which got retconned, hand waved away, or wiped out in a deus ex machina. I would argue that Felicia has been as staunch a friend over the long term as people he's known for a lot longer *cough* Harry * cough*
    Yeah that's true, I loved Felicia pre-omd

Astonishing Member

Yeah, the Kindred reveal was really stupid.