Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Certain people definitely complained that Joker was going to lead to violence and incel behavior (though unsurprisingly it didn't).
    I always wondered why that was the case, Perhaps it was because Joker was a solo movie with no Batman to offer a righteous side.

Joker's politics was more of a diversity of story telling though even with zazie beetz.

Extraordinary Member

The New mutants marvel movie main main lead was a female lead superhero film too.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Let me reframe it then, Think of Superheroes as the NBA or NFL, Think of Superheroes as the Movie Industry, Think of Superheroes as the Military etc Yes we can understand why they are more white people but we can also understand despite being the minority how a group can have a lot more representation in something that doesn't reflect the population averages. You can use population numbers make a case for they could be less I mean the word minority means not the majority but lets not use it as cop out though. This isn't something that has to follow the population numbers.
    of course not but that is what has been used as a valid excuse for keeping things as they are...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I always wondered why that was the case, Perhaps it was because Joker was a solo movie with no Batman to offer a righteous side.

Joker's politics was more of a diversity of story telling though even with zazie beetz.
    Perhaps it was because of events around the showing of The Dark Knight. Also, security was stepped up around the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post

What I found the most troubling about the Joker movie and the character, in general, is how many people have embraced him as an anti-hero or even a hero non-ironically since the premiere. There is nothing heroic or semi-heroic about the Joker nor is he presented as being sympathetic in the source martial. Joker is supposed to be the bad guy yet since the Joker movie people including whole groups have adopted him as some sort of misguided martyr, not the irredeemable genocidal nihilistic manic he is.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    What I found the most troubling about the Joker movie and the character, in general, is how many people have embraced him as an anti-hero or even a hero non-ironically since the premiere. There is nothing heroic or semi-heroic about the Joker nor is he presented as being sympathetic in the source martial. Joker is supposed to be the bad guy yet since the Joker movie people including whole groups have adopted him as some sort of misguided martyr, not the irredeemable genocidal nihilistic manic he is.
    And that is the perfection definition of why Villains like Joker are so appealing to the readers.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Perhaps it was because of events around the showing of The Dark Knight. Also, security was stepped up around the country.
    That was Dark Knight Rises, Also years had past and even with that it was genuine concerns.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

To some extent it's the same reason why people gravitate to Kylo (an emo space neo-nazi who tortures the woman Rian Johnson thinks he should be with) or Loki or - even though they're not strictly villains - Rick Sanchez and Bojack Horseman. Some people seem to have an unhealthy love towards villains. Now Phoenix's Joker is tragic and I can feel sorry for him, but I can do so without agreeing with him in the slightest.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    To some extent it's the same reason why people gravitate to Kylo (an emo space neo-nazi who tortures the woman Rian Johnson thinks he should be with) or Loki or - even though they're not strictly villains - Rick Sanchez and Bojack Horseman. Some people seem to have an unhealthy love towards villains. Now Phoenix's Joker is tragic and I can feel sorry for him, but I can do so without agreeing with him in the slightest.
    I like villains a lot too. But it feels weird when people start seeing too much of themselves in the characters

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Or an even simpler question is why can't something have "agenda" AND be a good story
    I can answer that.

We have lily white show or comic that tends to be POC FREE. UNTIL it's time for that certain type of story.

Where the POC appears or gets page time for a story about RACISM, Bullies, Hate, Gangs, Jungle Fever and GUNS. Or need the white man to help them or save them.

And at times when POC creators got a shot-they fed that beast just as bad as white creators did. Some by choice and others willingly.

So when you get SOME folks like our OP asking that question that is why. Too many books and shows made it look like POC can only have stories with some agenda.

When we get books like Ms Marvel or shows like Static Shock-we see the cat calls of AGENDAS. Yet for those of us who WATCH or READ those projects-there is no agenda.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    During Disney's 2021 shareholder meeting, Disney CEO Bob Chapek focused on Disney's commitment to increasing representation and inclusion throughout The House of Mouse. Chapek announced that Disney is creating two councils -- one focused on Diversity/Inclusion company-wide and one focused on creating Diverse/Inclusive content -- to achieve this goal.
    The reason you have this is because the doors for POC and women have VARIED in terms of openings.

WHY? Because those folks were not getting shots. Some companies got a few and felt that was ENOUGH.

A Marvel writer was offered a book around 2006-2009 for what would be the War Machine mini. He suggested a black writer. The Editor told him "there were no black writers in the industry".

Mind you-Reginal Hudlin, Kevin Gerrouix and Dwayne McDuffie were all working at Marvel at the time. Sanford Greene might have been around too.
    Look at how long it took Marvel to get a black woman to WRITE for Marvel-77 years. DC Comics took 72 years.

You can NOT keep screaming you do not know. That is why a program like that was created.

Enough agenda pushing. Just tell a good story and I'll be sold.
    Folks are doing that stop dismissing them.

Need some recommendations?

James Tyninon's Backstaggers-the lead is a gay black boy-his sexuality is NEVER bought up.
    Boom Studio's Fence-a book about a fence team-a boy walks around with a dress on and another sleeps around with boys-their sexuality is NEVER bought up.
    Rivers of London from Titan Comics-the lead is a black male-his race is never bought up.
    Goldie Vance-her biracial and sexuality are NEVER discussed and that book takes place in the 1950s.
    The Mall from Vault Comics
    Resonant from Aftermath Comics
    The Man WHo Fuped Time
    Gasolina
    The Fuse

Ultimate Member

I think people who complain about "agendas" and "politics in my superhero movies" either are offended by diverse casts, or are more apathetic and simply want to not think about things for a while.

However, for people who have been marginalized for decades in this industry, such "agendas" either don't exist or are generally good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I think people who complain about "agendas" and "politics in my superhero movies" either are offended by diverse casts, or are more apathetic and simply want to not think about things for a while.

However, for people who have been marginalized for decades in this industry, such "agendas" either don't exist or are generally good.
    I fall into a third category; I simply don't care one way or another as long as I'm entertained. I do think all the political correctness (for lack of a better term) on the part of huge historically heartless corporations is amusing due to how suspect it seems. Mega corporations are typically not good-faith actors.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post

Personally I think there are a segment of these people who are not offended at all. They complain just to complain to get people upset. People are weird.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Personally I think there are a segment of these people who are not offended at all. They complain just to complain to get people upset. People are weird.
    Oh, you mean bandwagoning for attention or praise, perish the thought. No doubt all the Twitter Mob members believe 100% in their latest cause no matter how trivial to outsiders.

Ultimate Member

I fall into a third category; I simply don't care one way or another as long as I'm entertained. I do think all the political correctness (for lack of a better term) on the part of huge historically heartless corporations is amusing due to how suspect it seems. Mega corporations are typically not good-faith actors.
    I agree corporations are suspect. However I get annoyed with people who act like being politically correct and having diversity agendas are the worst things corporations do, instead of all the other actually bad things they've done in society.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    You mean like all those anti-sjw clickbait YouTubers?