Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I agree corporations are suspect. However I get annoyed with people who act like being politically correct and having diversity agendas are the worst things corporations do, instead of all the other actually bad things they've done in society.
    How about people who think they use these announcements as a distractionary tactic? That's me in a nutshell.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    How about people who think they use these announcements as a distractionary tactic? That's me in a nutshell.
    That’s where I tend to roll my eyes.

But the business side of me appreciates when they actually clue in on how white male privilege could be limiting their output and potential, and work to rectify that.

When someone who’s just in a suit and cares only about the bottom line realizes that “Holy Crap, Ryan Coogler and Michael B. Jordan are damn good! Give them a superpower franchise!”, you get the actual substance proving why inclusion is a good thing from all genuine angles.

Ike Perlmutter being so against “risky” superhero movies basically handicapped the MCU for a bit - not drastically, but significantly enough that Feige can probably point diretcly to his hemming and hawing as behind why it too so long to get a Black Widow movie going that it wound up dealing with a Oandemic.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    That’s where I tend to roll my eyes.....
    Okay, there is nothing more I can say to you because I honestly believe this. Have a good day.

Ultimate Member

Of course they can be distractionary, but the thing is, a lot of the wrong things corporations do are things "woke" people are bringing up anyway, so I don't get what's going on here.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    That’s where I tend to roll my eyes.

But the business side of me appreciates when they actually clue in on how white male privilege could be limiting their output and potential, and work to rectify that.

When someone who’s just in a suit and cares only about the bottom line realizes that “Holy Crap, Ryan Coogler and Michael B. Jordan are damn good! Give them a superpower franchise!”, you get the actual substance proving why inclusion is a good thing from all genuine angles.

Ike Perlmutter being so against “risky” superhero movies basically handicapped the MCU for a bit - not drastically, but significantly enough that Feige can probably point diretcly to his hemming and hawing as behind why it too so long to get a Black Widow movie going that it wound up dealing with a Oandemic.
    Exactly. The studio pandered to white men for the first 2 phases

Of course they can be distractionary, but the thing is, a lot of the wrong things corporations do are things "woke" people are bringing up anyway, so I don't get what's going on here.
    I'd rather the corporations like Disney give their park workers (when they had them) better wages and medical benefits rather than throw a few "woke" bones to distract everyone.

Ultimate Member

I'd rather the corporations like Disney give their park workers (when they had them) better wages and medical benefits rather than throw a few "woke" bones to distract everyone.
    That's true, but if it wasn't for people complaining about corporate behavior, nothing would change.

That's true, but if it wasn't for people complaining about corporate behavior, nothing would change.
    True that,,,,,

Ultimate Member

True that,,,,,
    So what I'm saying is sometimes group outrage does work, and is a form of free speech itself

So what I'm saying is sometimes group outrage does work, and is a form of free speech itself
    Okay, my original statement was the corporations will continue making "woke" products if they sell not because they believe in any cause. If you want to keep "woke" stuff out there keep buying it.

Ultimate Member

Okay, my original statement was the corporations will continue making "woke" products if they sell not because they believe in any cause. If you want to keep "woke" stuff out there keep buying it.
    I mean, i may buy some but I'll often be skeptical

It isn't a matter of agreeing or disagreeing. If people want "woke" products to survive they have to support them especially when the existing fanbase gets turned off by the new direction.
    Or, not. I don't think anyone should have to support anything just because they want "woke" products to continue. That just encourages studios and corporations to put in bare minimum crappy work and sticking a "woke" label or face or whatever on it. They should instead make the point abundantly clear - they want to support quality "woke" products. I like superhero movies, monster movies, giant monster movies - but I'm not going to go buy every single one to make sure they survive, just the ones I want. Films with diversity should be the same - they should continue because people buy them when they're good. Me ignoring bad horror movies won't make horror movies go away. The top need to learn that's the same here, quality products will sell, bad crap won't. Buy good diverse products!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Or, not. I don't think anyone should have to support anything just because they want "woke" products to continue. That just encourages studios and corporations to put in bare minimum crappy work and sticking a "woke" label or face or whatever on it. They should instead make the point abundantly clear - they want to support quality "woke" products. I like superhero movies, monster movies, giant monster movies - but I'm not going to go buy every single one to make sure they survive, just the ones I want. Films with diversity should be the same - they should continue because people buy them when they're good. Me ignoring bad horror movies won't make horror movies go away. The top need to learn that's the same here, quality products will sell, bad crap won't. Buy good diverse products!
    I agree we shouldn't blindly support anything just because it's woke. We should always demand better than surface level representation.

I was just trying to make the point that woke doesn't necessarily mean bad like I feel some make it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Bad horror movies make a lot of money. Horror is second only to animation in how profitable it is. Horror has low overhead which is why "bad" horror movies keep getting made.

Studios want to make money. If you want "woke" products put your money where your mouth is. I'm not saying anything controversial here this is logic 101.

Ultimate Member

Studios want to make money. If you want "woke" products put your money where your mouth is. I'm not saying anything controversial here this is logic 101.
    What makes them woke?

Putting a black cast in a movie does not make a movie woke.