Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default How often can/will Barbara be Batgirl?

I’ve seen this term thrown around a lot here in regards to how often fans of other Batgirls think Babs ‘should’ be Batgirl: “Once in a while.”

Well, what does that mean -exactly- in comics and their narratives? What happens if you’re a Babs Batgirl fan, but not interested in watching her be support for two other characters who don’t bring her approach or presence and cannot be a substitute for her -character- as Batgirl?

I ask because Tynion is definitely playing to a fan base who doesn’t put any stock in her Batgirl role, so I ask fans of this:

What does “once in a while” mean exactly in comic book land?

A special every other year? A cameo in the background in some obscure book?

Same question for her donning the role “As needed”—when exactly is that?

Dude, I literally just stumbled onto a thread on reddit from six months ago where you're arguing with a guy over Batgirl. You're using the exact same arguments you did then, which shows me that despite talking to probably over a hundred people on this subject in the past few months, you haven't changed your mind in the slightest. Why would users reply to your questions when we know there's no point that you'll actually concede to any fair points made?

If you don't like the direction Barbara's going, stop buying, stop reading - simple as in my opinion.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by km_sus View Post
    Dude, I literally just stumbled onto a thread on reddit from six months ago where you're arguing with a guy over Batgirl. You're using the exact same arguments you did then, which shows me that despite talking to probably over a hundred people on this subject in the past few months, you haven't changed your mind in the slightest. Why would users reply to your questions when we know there's no point that you'll actually concede to any fair points made?

If you don't like the direction Barbara's going, stop buying, stop reading - simple as in my opinion.
    Because no-one has answered my question or given me a proper answer, despite being so incredibly calm and assured in these claims. You’re right, I’m not looking to concede, I never will, but I want to know just what the common mentality is that’s supposedly so popular.

Also: never stopped Cass and Steph fans, even when they weren’t buying but I was. This is just the shoe on the other foot.

BANNED

Also: why should I have to change my POV or concede when others didn’t? Hm?

My impression is will depend on a book-by-book basis.

Oracle will be keeping the Batfamily abridged and connected across multiple books while she will be 50/50 Batgirl and Oracle in Nightwing and possibly Batgirls.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I'm gonna say once the story arc hit the climax and/or her physical presence is needed. Like if there's a horde of Joker or Scarecrow zombies, or if Nightwing are buried under the rubble and there's no one else.

Mainly in Nightwing, since there's only two of them in Bludhaven, so she's gonna be the only one there to help.

Almost never in Batman as long as Tynion is writing because he already got an army in Gotham. Ghost-Maker being the closest, then Bertinelli, Harley, Selina, The Batgirls and The Outsiders. Only if all of them are incapacitated or busy will she join, that is, if she's not in Bludhaven at that time.

So I'd say at the end of Tynion's run, while in Nightwing it's possible to do it once per arc.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I'm gonna say once the story arc hit the climax and/or her physical presence is needed. Like if there's a horde of Joker or Scarecrow zombies, or if Nightwing are buried under the rubble and there's no one else.

Mainly in Nightwing, since there's only two of them in Bludhaven, so she's gonna be the only one there to help.

Almost never in Batman as long as Tynion is writing because he already got an army in Gotham. Ghost-Maker being the closest, then Bertinelli, Harley, Selina, The Batgirls and The Outsiders. Only if all of them are incapacitated or busy will she join, that is, if she's not in Bludhaven at that time.

So I'd say at the end of Tynion's run, while in Nightwing it's possible to do it once per arc.
    Thought so. Not even worth holding out for. Meanwhile, less interesting characters get free reign to be as bland as boring as they want, running around what she does better: totally fair.

Incredible Member

Taking a "realism" approach, unless she wants her skills to diminish, she probably should go patrolling at least once a week while doing plenty of exercise on the other days. What that translates to for monthly comics, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Thought so. Not even worth holding out for. Meanwhile, less interesting characters get free reign to be as bland as boring as they want, running around what she does better: totally fair.
    Interesting or not is subjective

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Taking a "realism" approach, unless she wants her skills to diminish, she probably should go patrolling at least once a week while doing plenty of exercise on the other days. What that translates to for monthly comics, I don't know.
    That makes sense. Depends on the story arc. Some issues take place only a few days, sometimes, months, sometimes, a single night.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 03-10-2021 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    She needs to keep it light though. She doesn't want to risk stressing her implant, as if it ever fails again, she's done as Batgirl and will be back in the wheelchair.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    She needs to keep it light though. She doesn't want to risk stressing her implant, as if it ever fails again, she's done as Batgirl and will be back in the wheelchair.
    It’s old fashioned and ableist to suppose she cannot be Batgirl and a wheelchair user.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Interesting or not is subjective

That makes sense. Depends on the story arc. Some issues take place only a few days, sometimes, months, sometimes, a single night.
    Like that stopped -anyone- calling Babs the least interesting Batgirl around here? Fair is fair: Cass and Steph don’t hold a candle to what she offers in the role and can do whatever they’re doing now under any other name.

Like that stopped -anyone- calling Babs the least interesting Batgirl around here? Fair is fair: Cass and Steph don’t hold a candle to what she offers in the role and can do whatever they’re doing now under any other name.
    Batgirl as a mantle means completely different and separate things to Bette, Cassandra and Stephanie. Just because they don't bring and mean exactly the same thing Barbara does to Batgirl, doesn't make them objectively inferior.

In that same vein; just because Barbara has two completely different and distinct approaches as Batgirl and Oracle, doesn't mean that Cassandra and Stephanie are lesser characters because they don't completely change their approach to crimefighting between Spoiler/Orphan and Batgirl.

BANNED

Batgirl as a mantle means completely different and separate things to Bette, Cassandra and Stephanie. Just because they don't bring and mean exactly the same thing Barbara does to Batgirl, doesn't make them objectively inferior.

In that same vein; just because Barbara has two completely different and distinct approaches as Batgirl and Oracle, doesn't mean that Cassandra and Stephanie are lesser characters because they don't completely change their approach to crimefighting between Spoiler/Orphan and Batgirl.
    And yet, nobody ever stood up for Barbara like that did they? What you’re saying is true, I agree in principle, but I resent how one-sidedly it’s used especially now that Cass and Steph fans have exactly what they want while Barbara is shunted off into the background and they, in turn, are diminished in importance by being treated interchangeably.

The point is: Barbara deserves to be on the field showing what makes her just as interesting and inspiring as Batgirl, because she has worth and importance in the role. To suppose otherwise drags all of them down.

Additional point and grievance: Babs doesn’t get to actually -do- anything but stare at screens if she isn’t Batgirl. Cass and Steph don’t have that problem.
    Last edited by Domino_Dare-Doll; 03-10-2021 at 03:20 PM.

Well, -anyone- didn't reply to me. You did, so that's the one I replied to.

I'm not gonna tally all three's contribution to the identity since I haven't read all of them, and even if I do, that may still won't matter, since there are different reasons for liking a character, like story, back story, personal struggles, personality, and so on