Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Worst Era of the Justice League

Common answers:

Justice League Detroit
    James Robinson's Justice League
    Post Giffen/Pre Morrison Era
    Bryan Hitch Justice League
    Scott Snyder Justice League
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 03-10-2021 at 06:05 PM.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Was Justice League Detroit really that unreadable? I never read it and if I was going to, I would only do so for Vixen.

I think Bryan Hitch's run deserves to be up there. I think the future kids arc was his only good arc but even then his run was just bad, bland and forgettable.

Extraordinary Member

I vote for post Giffen / pre Morrison.

Astonishing Member

The post-JLA one. The one that was basically run by Eddie Berganza from the end of Infinite Crisis to New 52, which included Meltzer/McDuffie/Robinson. It's pretty clear the last two were micromanaged to hell.

Seemed like the Snyder Justice League got cut short.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I always thought Justice League Detroit was a mess.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    The post-JLA one. The one that was basically run by Eddie Berganza from the end of Infinite Crisis to New 52, which included Meltzer/McDuffie/Robinson. It's pretty clear the last two were micromanaged to hell.

^^^I might have to go w. this. The few memorable creative teams I recall from that time didn’t last long, prob. because of what you pointed out.

As to the Detroit League, it wasn’t terrible at all, it just wasn’t what fans expected of the League. It was more of an Avengers “shake things up, keep a few core members, bring in new characters” concept that ppl didn’t like then, and never really have.

Really enjoyed Detroit era all the way up until Morrison. Simply because Batman, Superman wasn't in a majority of those stories.

I heard Justice League Task Force was terrible though.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    I heard Justice League Task Force was terrible though.
    It really was.

I can’t recall which came first, this book or Marvel’s Force Works, but both were bad because they were trying to be something they (Avengers/JLA) weren’t meant to be which was Image edgy.

Astonishing Member

My vote goes to the one where the birdlike character Yazz was a supporting member. Horrible stuff by Gerard Jones and Chuck Wojtkiewicz.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Post Giffen/Pre Morrison Era
    I'd actually divide this into two parts. Post-Breakdowns was something of a missed opportunity, you had great lineups but mostly mediocre storylines, with an occasional good story in the mix. Post-ZeroHour was a complete cluster f*@#.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I didn't mind Task Force (the first collected volume anyway) but it didn't feel like a true JLA book.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post

Meltzer’s was my favorite after Morrison/Waid but the Robinson run was easily my least favorite.

Boisterously Confused

My pick's not on the list. I thought Detroit was the bottom of the JL barrel, until I realized Giffin was doubling down on what made people laugh in his first couple of dozen issues, with no real plan for anything else. So, I'd say, Late Giffin.

This wasn’t the question but my award for best abbreviated run goes to the largely forgotten Priest/Woods issues, which I absolutely loved. I badly wished they’d been able to stay longer but Snyder was already lined up. When he left I was hoping Priest would get the gig next, before they gave it to Bendis.

Is Priest even available to DC anymore? I know he doesn’t have anything lined up but if there’s been some sort of falling out and he for sure isn’t coming back it would be good to know that so I can stop fantasizing about which DC property I’d like for him to write next.

I actually kind of want to say the new 52 run has to be my least favorite, not because it was the new 52 but just because it had so many stories in it that I just didn’t really care about. The ghost writer storyline following Darkseid was weird, not really sure how I felt about the big Superman and Wonder Woman dating is a huge threat plot, I hated trinity war, then there was some weird stuff with the doom patrol.

I guess I liked it for Jessica Cruz and some of Darkseid War.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.