Default Panini UK collectors editions relaunch

The old Collectors Editions range published by Panini UK, was curtailed by the pandemic. All seven old titles have been scrapped, including the long running Essential X-Men and Astonishing Spider-Man, which launched in the 90s. The other old titles were Wolverine and Deadpool, Avengers Universe, Deadpool Unleashed, Marvel Legends (Captain America, Iron Man and Thor) and Batman: Tales of the Dark Knight, which replaced Mighty World of Marvel but only managed to get one issue out before lockdown. They've been replaced by four new titles: Amazing Spider-Man, Marvel Universe: X-Men (which is starting with House/Powers of X), Marvel Essentials (Empyre and Venom, it's going to focus on events), and Batman: Guardian of the Night. Avengers and Deadpool have lost their books.
    https://downthetubes.net/?p=125485

Last edited by Digifiend; 03-11-2021 at 02:42 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

I have seen that X of Swords vol 1 and 2 are coming from these, what is the difference between a Panini book and a regular paperback?

Damn, Wolverine and Deadpool used to be my life, sad to see it gone

Quote Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
    I have seen that X of Swords vol 1 and 2 are coming from these, what is the difference between a Panini book and a regular paperback?
    These are newsstand reprint magazines sold in the UK. Panini also produces Marvel's TPBs in the UK (and most of Europe I think). The X of Swords volumes are definitely standard TPBs.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    These are newsstand reprint magazines sold in the UK. Panini also produces Marvel's TPBs in the UK (and most of Europe I think). The X of Swords volumes are definitely standard TPBs.
    I see. Thanks!

Mighty Member

Hopefully these books find an audience. I used to collect these between the years of 2006-2017 and are a good way to read these books in the UK.
    Sadly, it seems even before Covid, the sales were falling. They had to cancel MWOM rather abruptly and the page count lessened, the books going from a graphic novel like format back to being the traditional comic format.
    It's a shame to see the Astonishing Spider-man title go, it was a staple of my childhood and bookshops.

It's become easier to pick up trades and the American comics which I think has done a lot of damage to the line.
    I remember when I moved to a different City, it was easier to buy the American comics on a regular basis than it was to buy these.

But again, hopefully they have a future, the editors are great People too so I hope they don't go anywhere soon.