Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    I dunno seemed pretty clear to me, but if you wish to set yourself up for more disapointment be my guest
    I’m merely stating a fact, but if you wanna read into my comment stuff that isn't even there be my guest.
    Last edited by Daedra; 03-16-2021 at 10:40 AM.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    So basically like Terrigenesis for the Inhumans.
    Well i compared it to how Xavier explained that the atomic radiation created by the first bombs and later tests triggered the activation of the X-genes among large amounts of the human population. Explaining the sudden surge of mutants showing up across the world (that was before the whole Arrako retcon and the increasing amount of pre-20th century mutant groups). So i wouldn't compare it that way.

The major difference here being that terrigensis is a manual process which also needs to be repeated with every person (especialy those born after the previous group exposed to the mist), while the activation of the X-gene is an automatic process once started which is also a constantly repeating event.

This is also the reason why the attempt to mold the Inhumans into pseudo-X-men over the movie rights was such a bad idea.
    Because with mutants you had an indirect trigger which caused a permanent change to the status quo of humanity. People changed what ever they liked it or not, because of events nobody had controll over, but everyone would need to come to terms with (acceptance of change and difference vs. rejection and discrimination of the same).

Meanwhile the terrigan mist clouds being released over earth was a directly triggered event, which causes a temporary change in the status quo of humanity. It forced a change on humans what ever they liked it or not, by the will of a small scale external group. The unfortunate implication of this scenario was not lost on many critics of the inhumans push. But in any scenario it only lasted a temporary amount of time. Since without the terrigan mist nobody after them will become an inhuman.

So no i wouldn't compare it to the terrigensis. Using the snaps as basis would be more like a modernized explanation of claiming nuclear radiation caused the mass appearance of mutants (similar to how Spiderman's powers were changed from a irradiated spider to a gene spliced one). It's also the reason why i think if they go this route they should leave it ambiguous if Tony wanted mutants to appear or if it's a side effect he accepted in order to stop Thanos. If he was aware of it's effect at all.

Just going through hypothetical scenarios here of course.
    Last edited by Grunty; 03-16-2021 at 07:13 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    everyone died except the twins, something about him was special enough that he not only survived but he gained super powers.
    Her accidental hex power may have protected him. Just a guess

I fear Magneto’s age is going to be an issue the moment they want to introduce him. I don't know if Disney wants to face the possible backlash they would get if they removed his WW2 background to replace it with something more recent or fictional, so they'll have to come up with an explanation on how he's still alive in the present and hopefully not a complete mummy. Which of course shouldn't be too hard to do in a world filled with gods and powerful artifacts.
    That depends on Magneto even being in the MCU in the first place. I'm quite positive (not absolutely certain) Wanda and Pietro aren't mutants in the MCU

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Well i compared it to how Xavier explained that the atomic radiation created by the first bombs and later tests triggered the activation of the X-genes among large amounts of the human population. Explaining the sudden surge of mutants showing up across the world (that was before the whole Arrako retcon and the increasing amount of pre-20th century mutant groups). So i wouldn't compare it that way.

The major difference here being that terrigensis is a manual process which also needs to be repeated with every person (especialy those born after the previous group exposed to the mist), while the activation of the X-gene is an automatic process once started which is also a constantly repeating event.

This is also the reason why the attempt to mold the Inhumans into pseudo-X-men over the movie rights was such a bad idea.
    Because with mutants you had an indirect trigger which caused a permanent change to the status quo of humanity. People changed what ever they liked it or not, because of events nobody had controll over, but everyone would need to come to terms with (acceptance of change and difference vs. rejection and discrimination of the same).

Meanwhile the terrigan mist clouds being released over earth was a directly triggered event, which causes a temporary change in the status quo of humanity. It forced a change on humans what ever they liked it or not, by the will of a small scale external group. The unfortunate implication of this scenario was not lost on many critics of the inhumans push. But in any scenario it only lasted a temporary amount of time. Since without the terrigan mist nobody after them will become an inhuman.

So no i wouldn't compare it to the terrigensis. Using the snaps as basis would be more like a modernized explanation of claiming nuclear radiation caused the mass appearance of mutants (similar to how Spiderman's powers were changed from a irradiated spider to a gene spliced one). It's also the reason why i think if they go this route they should leave it ambiguous if Tony wanted mutants to appear or if it's a side effect he accepted in order to stop Thanos. If he was aware of it's effect at all.

Just going through hypothetical scenarios here of course.
    Thank you for the explanation! And yes there are obviously differences, but when I hear talk about the X-gene being latent in a small part of the population and then getting activated by an external event (be it the atomic bomb, Terrigenesis or the Infinity Stones) I'm instantly reminded of the Inhumans and how Marvel at some point tried to replace the concept of mutants with them, and it would be the ultimate irony if MCU mutants now partially borrowed from their origins. But we're quite far from learning about how it's all going to work anyway so we'll just have to wait, see and speculate in the meantime!

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post

That depends on Magneto even being in the MCU in the first place. I'm quite positive (not absolutely certain) Wanda and Pietro aren't mutants in the MCU
    I find it very unlikely Feige won't reboot one of the biggest characters in the franchise at some point. Remember this isn't a Spider-Man situation, where the characters Marvel creates in the movies they co-produce end up being owned by Sony, and a big gap is purposefully being left between the last Fox movie and the first Marvel one, so that all the toys can feel fresh again and be ready to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post

doesn't sound very accidental....... as I said before I don't like Pietro's powers to be dependent on Wanda's, regardless marvel will do whatever it wants, we shall see.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Ultimate Member

I find it very unlikely Feige won't reboot one of the biggest characters in the franchise at some point. Remember this isn't a Spider-Man situation, where the characters Marvel creates in the movies they co-produce end up being owned by Sony, and a big gap is purposefully being left between the last Fox movie and the first Marvel one, so that all the toys can feel fresh again and be ready to play with.
    Maybe, but Feige said MCU X-Men would be different, and frankly I've seen enough of Magneto in the films despite liking him a lot. He overshadowed the actual X-Men who need real screen time and character focus now. I wouldn't miss him if he never shows up again

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    doesn't sound very accidental....... as I said before I don't like Pietro's powers to be dependent on Wanda's, regardless marvel will do whatever it wants, we shall see.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't want Pietro's powers to depend on Wanda either. I was just trying to think of an explanation.

Extraordinary Member

I don't suppose we'll ever get an explanation for MCU Pietro, since this was their best chance to bring him back and they didn't. But since several characters within the Hex were given super speed as a power, the easiest explanation is just that speed is a magic power somehow, and the Mind Stone brought out Pietro's magical potential just as it brought out Wanda's. He just died before we could see his power reach its full potential, which might have something to do with manipulating time.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I don't suppose we'll ever get an explanation for MCU Pietro, since this was their best chance to bring him back and they didn't. But since several characters within the Hex were given super speed as a power, the easiest explanation is just that speed is a magic power somehow, and the Mind Stone brought out Pietro's magical potential just as it brought out Wanda's. He just died before we could see his power reach its full potential, which might have something to do with manipulating time.
    It's possible he was just lucky.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Didn't Harkness in WandaVision flat out remarked that Wanda has the non-magical power to manipulate chances, which made her able to controll chaotic magic, which happend to be the same explanation that was given in the comics for how her mutant power correlate with her magic usage?

What's interesting is that all that the memory sequence did explain was how Wanda, a poor girl from Sokovia, was able to cast complex magic after being changed by the mind stone, despite never recieving any training like Harkness decades ago or Doctor Strange recently. Because being predestined as Scarlet Witch and having gained a fragment of said stone, she has natural access to magic.

Now the bomb sequence is ambiguous since even after Harkness suggestion that she switched it off with a spell, Wanda insisted that the bomb was simply a dud. However the fact that it was a Stark Industries made weapon (which are infamous for their quality, even those sold on the black market by Obadiah Stane), puts doubt on Wanda's explanation and reinforces Karness's theory. But then there is a third explanation that she didn't use magic but another natural ability (chance manipulation). Which would mean that she had these powers before she even got into contact with the mind stone.

Now considering we never saw Pietro's experiment and since he is dead currently he can't give his account, we are of course left to wonder what caused him to gain powers, given that that super speed does not fit the mind stone as much as it does granting magic knowledge.
    But the fact that his powers are entirely unrelated to magic or direct knowledge, would suggest that what powered him was the same inherint ability that allowed Wanda to switch off the bomb and is now the reason she can manipulate chances to cast chaos magic in a stable form.
    Basicly that the mind stone opened his mind to abilities he didn't know he had.

Which leaves the door open for mutants existing or becomming a thing in the MCU. Because it suggest that natural super powers are real, they just required a catalyst to awaken so far.

A convinient possible explanation for having mutants retroactively exist pre-Endgame in the MCU, but being so subtile or rare that their numbers wouldn't even get noticed. Like that there were only like 10 or 20 in the entire world who's powers were actualy fully formed with Magneto and Xavier being among them.

This in turn makes me remember the old title for the X-men. The Children of the Atom. If i recall right the explanation for this title was that according to Xavier, it was the radiation from the first atomic bombs which triggered a mass appearance of mutant powers.

Now what infinity stone related cataclysmic event happend TRICE on the same planet a short while ago? Oh yes, the usage of all infinity stones at once to alter the universe. Which must have released a lot of their mysterious energy in a singular location.

I think this would be the perfect explanation for how mutants might start showing up in the MCU now and why they weren't a thing before, while still having room to have Xavier and Magneto exist retoractively.

They could even have Banner later show up explaning how when he reversed Thanos snap, he briefly saw an Earth full of people with super powers like Wanda and Quicksilver and suggests that when Tony did his snap he actualy activated their powers in the hope that they could protect humanity in the future against things like Thanos (which would create a sad irony when Magneto would instead use it as reason for why they should subjugate normal humans).
    Adding to the continuing trend of Tony Stark as the first MCU hero (chronological to the movies not history, albeit his father had a hand in making Captain America) leaves behind a legacy of both heros and villains alike.
    But also leaving it ambiguous if it wasn't just "backround radiation" from the overuse of all infinity stones on Earth.
    She didn't say it's "none-magic", as a matter of fact, she said she used a probability hex and called her a "baby witch". Which really just implies she is born with magic or something. If anything Mind Stone amplified that power.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I think the reason she survived the Mind Stone experiment is the same as her surviving the Stark bomb, she altered the odds subconsciously with magic, or say "Probability Hex".

Astonishing Member

Alternatively, like Wanda he had the most rudimentary of potential as a warlock, or at least enough for the Mind Stone (which isn’t as malevolent as some of the other stones) to work with

Emma Been Frost Perfection/Emma 2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    It's not like Wanda ever wanted to be a mutant as a matter of fact she hated it so calling her a pretender is a reach, Pietro is more of a pretender as he actually enjoyed the few privileges of mutant status be got such as relevance. I would label Wanda a Sham tis more accurate.
    I fully agree
    Yara Flor & Emma "Mama" Frost stan account

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    She didn't say it's "none-magic", as a matter of fact, she said she used a probability hex and called her a "baby witch". Which really just implies she is born with magic or something. If anything Mind Stone amplified that power.
    Yeah I wonder where they got non-magic from, because that's never mentioned.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Agreed Feige has been planning the X-men, magneto and the fantastic four introduction for years so no, I doubt he will left Magneto out of the MCU but I can see him try to develop Magneto´s story on a Disney + show to give more time in the movie for the X-men main story.

https://geektyrant.com/news/kevin-fe...the-big-screen
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022