Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    welcome to capitalism baby!
    btw it's not just about the queer gaze, it's also about the female gaze like the Grayson series
    Speaking of, straight women fantasize about non-hetero Dick more than non-hetero dudes. Wasn't Devin Grayson the one who originally proposed the Dick as bi idea?

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Speaking of, straight women fantasize about non-hetero Dick more than non-hetero dudes. Wasn't Devin Grayson the one who originally proposed the Dick as bi idea?
    By Grayson I didn't mean Devin Grayson but the 'Grayson' series (2014-2016) - sorry for my misleading comment.
    I think she was the one coming up with the 'Dick is bi' idea, but I'm not 100% sure.

Oh, you'd be surprised what open-minded straight women & girls fantasize about (Tim x Kon, Clark x Bruce, Booster G. x Ted Kord, Barry x Hal, etc)
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

I mean, fans already go to war over DickFire vs Barbdick. Do we really need to add another side to the war by making Dick bisexual? Haven't there been enough casualities?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I mean, fans already go to war over DickFire vs Barbdick. Do we really need to add another side to the war by making Dick bisexual? Haven't there been enough casualities?
    Fans should grow up, LOL.
    ... (insert character's name) vs. .... (insert another character's name) is ridiculous. Sorry that's just my opinion.

We were discussing that it'd be fun if Dick was bisexual, but DC will never ever make him that. And it doesn't bother me. My love of a character doesn't depend on their sexuality. The problem is the lack of (male) LGBTQ+ representation in the Batman franchise (or in DC comics in general.)
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Indeed. And it's a shame that Diana's bisexuality isn't emphasized. Ok, I got it, bisexual means that she can be attracted to Steve Trevor and other men.
    Maybe... she could live in a poly relationship with Steve and her new beau, Siegfried

Attachment 111804
    Listen, I need that poly ship so bad. xD

But I agree, it's time for DC to embrace Diana's pan/bisexuality.

Yeah, but Clark wasn't doing THIS on his Pride cover.

The intent is clearly to cater to the queer gaze and collect 'em monies, without actually committing to anything.
    I don't think that was all a corporate strategy. I mean some of it sure, but Travis Moore is a queer Dick Grayson fan who would obviously draw him like that. He has before. It's his gaze. And because this was done under the Pride Pod the editor approving it was queer too.

Though, if Moore could have, he would have probably drawn a TimxKon cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Dick being confirmed bi doesn't necessarily mean there would be a third love interest on the same level as Kori and Babs. He's been with other women too who aren't brought up much so don't see why he couldn't be with men once in a while.

At the end though it will always come back to DickxKori vs. DickxBabs (personally I'm a Dick/Kori stan).

If that's not queerbaiting then happy for Tim's LGBTQIA+ fans but this kind of feels like a compromise on DC's part to avoid canonizing Dick being on the spectrum.
    I remember there was some hubbub a couple of years back (I think maybe before or during the early phases of Nu52) of Tim possibility being asexual. I always like that notion and wish they had gone through with it.

Astonishing Member

If that's not queerbaiting then happy for Tim's LGBTQIA+ fans but this kind of feels like a compromise on DC's part to avoid canonizing Dick being on the spectrum.
    Even though, frankly speaking, they both should be, because it isn't a "one or the other" kind of thing and Dick makes perfect sense to be some kind of polysexual. (And for me, it'll be the thing that apologies for that weird queerbaiting thing they did having Nightwing on one of the Pride variant covers.)

I got extremely confused when the Nightwing Pride variant cover was one of the first to be revealed, thinking Dick being bi was already confirmed and I somehow missed it. DC knows extremely well what they are doing and it's insulting if they don't plan to commit to it.
    You're right. That sure was one of the first covers they revealed.

The straights can keep Jason
    Speaking of, I've heard-tell of Jason potentially being read as a form of queer angst. That said, between Dick, Jason, Tim, and Damian, Jason does feel the least likely to be something non-straight.

Yeah, but Clark wasn't doing THIS on his Pride cover.

The intent is clearly to cater to the queer gaze and collect 'em monies, without actually committing to anything.
    This! They know Nightwing/Dick Grayson has a huge queer fanbase who already headcanon him being bi/etc.. The deliberateness recognizable in this cover pretty much proves this is the case. And that is what is so infuriating about it, since it's very blatant queerbaiting 2021.

Just canonize his bi/pan-ness and get it over with.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 07-24-2021 at 02:40 PM.

Astonishing Member

Damian - sometimes he seems asexual (maybe hetero-romantic) to me... he'd be a perfect candidate for representing aces
    I definitely can see Damian being developed in a way that he is on the ace spectrum. I'd see him more demi-biromantic (and/or demi-bisexual, maybe), though.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 07-24-2021 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    This! They know Nightwing/Dick Grayson has a huge queer fanbase who already headcanon him being bi/etc.. The deliberateness recognizable in this cover pretty much proves this is the case. And that is what is so infuriating about it, since it's very blatant queerbaiting 2021.
    Isn't that true of most characters though?

At any rate DC did something with Dick that definitely makes him seem... straight, or at least heavily leaning that way. One of Raven's brothers has the power to cause people to feel insatiable lust. When he used his power on Dick... Dick did Starfire for an entire afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Do we have trans superhero?
    Suzie Su from Red Hood and The Outlaws was trans
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

After discussing the Bat-family... What about the Supes family?

After announcing Tom Taylor's 'Superman: Son of Kal-El' title, many Jon fans tweeted that finally, DC would have a queer Superman. However, I don't think Jon will ever be depicted other than straight. I have a hunch that Jon's main love interests will be: Saturn Girl (based on Bendis' LoSH), Mary Marvel (based on Taylor's DCeased), & maybe Naomi.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Not necessarily more so than Nightwing, particular within the context of that cover.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    What makes the case of Dick Grayson different has been that for decades he's been the most prominent and incredibly rare case of superhero comics catering to a non-straight male gaze. Even before "queerbaiting" was a thing as we recognize it now among media, a panel featuring Bruce and him waking up in bed together was what Dr. Fredric Wertham used as an example, along with the bondage themes in the Wonder Woman comics, to make his case for superhero comics indoctrinating homosexuality among children, among other things. The original Batwoman and Bat-Girl were primarily created to avoid such connotations.

In recent, more progressive years, DC has subverted some of these tropes by making Kate Kane and Diana explicitly lesbian or bi, which are great decisions that were a long time coming. On the male side, I feel that they should canonize Dick as bi or pan too, especially considering they've used him as a draw for queer men and anyone who enjoys reading about queer men for the longest time.

At any rate DC did something with Dick that definitely makes him seem... straight, or at least heavily leaning that way. One of Raven's brothers has the power to cause people to feel insatiable lust. When he used his power on Dick... Dick did Starfire for an entire afternoon.
    I don't think anyone is advocating for Dick to stop being attracted to women. Nor do I think there are many bi men who would not be attracted to Kori (also makes sense for poly-sexuality to be the norm on Tamaran anyway, which is why Kori wouldn't think twice about dating Dick even if he were bi or pan, or if Kori herself is canonized as bi or pan).

After discussing the Bat-family... What about the Supes family?

After announcing Tom Taylor's 'Superman: Son of Kal-El' title, many Jon fans tweeted that finally, DC would have a queer Superman. However, I don't think Jon will ever be depicted other than straight. I have a hunch that Jon's main love interests will be: Saturn Girl (based on Bendis' LoSH), Mary Marvel (based on Taylor's DCeased), & maybe Naomi.
    It is frustrating that when people suggest an established character come out as LGBT people protest, don't "change" this character make a new character.
    And then here you have Jon, who's been a blank slate sexually until very recently, and they're making him straight.
    Things are improving but we still don't have high profile queer men with DC. Nothing anywhere as prominent as Jon would be. A gay Jon Kent would be a headline making breakthrough character.
    DC is suggesting Tim is gay or bi, we'll see if they have the stones to make it clear and not just hints, and then the next step would be whether they'll also let Conner come out as well.