Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

The voting really was stacked against JLQ with them up against the Robin book.
    I believe the JLQ got the second most votes of all the options.
    I think there is a market for a JLQ mini or something.
    It is terrible that Batwoman can't even have her own book.
    A Batwoman team up book (Brave and Bold surely) is a great idea.
    I'm still holding out hope that we can get Tim and Conner as a couple in a Young Justice book. The queer male visibility is still pretty scant so that would be a great way to fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Diana was sympathetic to Myndi Myer’s gay brother at the reading of Myndi’s will.
    I think Diana was probably in the JLA in the 90s at the same time as Obsidian before he was officially out but at the time he told Nuklon he loved him but didn’t identify as anything.
    She’s at least met Aqualad in Young Justice.
    She’s fought against Prometheus who seems to be gay or bi.
    I struggle to think of anything more significant but there’s not that many prominent queer men around for her to be interacting with.
    I include myself among the anti Jason fans. I prefer Earth 1 Nubia as her twin.
    Everyone's forgetting Warkiller, the OG superpowered gay WW character. Diana even found him a boyfriend.

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    Haha, thanks!

Def wish we had more than Crush and Lobo and I guess Aquaman/lad in the coming months. And Obsidian and Alan have starring roles in Infinite Frontier, so that's nice.

I'm wondering if we'll see Kate lead a book anytime soon. Now with Batwoman II (I guess she'd be III if we count Kathy), things seem potentially complicated. But maybe in that fun comic book way. DC has brought Ryan into the fold in comics so clearly they're thinking about her, at least. Who knows if they'll connect her with Kate though because she's only really been seen connected with Babs.

I know JLQ lost the fan poll, but a JLQ one shot or OGN could be cool!

So currently we have Harley, Wonder Woman, Crush and Lobo and the Midnighter back-up for books with queer leads, even if DC plays coy with Diana's obvious queerness.

I'd love to add a Batwoman solo or team-up with Question Renee and a Catman solo or Secret Six on-going (would love to see Scandal, Jeanette, and Knockout again!).

What would you folx like to see in terms of books with queer leads/queer team members?

I don't care about that fan poll, it was a great opportunity for DC to divide their fans ... I loved all pitches & hope they will be published some day. (I wanted the JLQ, Lobo/Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Kyle Rayner/Kilowog, or the Jesse Quick pitch to win.)

What I'd love to see:

Catman solo or Secret Six on-going (as you mentioned)

more Ghost-Maker!!! those appearances in Batman stories aren't enough - it'd be cool to see how he interacts with DC characters other than Bruce & Harley Quinn...

also, I think Malcolm Hutch from Lobdell's Nightwing run might be queer bc he called Alphonse Sapienza (leader of their Nightwings team in the Ric Grayson era) beautiful... I loved him as Nightwing Red & hope that Taylor or someone else will bring him back

finally, a Young Heroes in Love (1997) type of mini or on-going would be my dream, & I'd def bring back Off-Ramp & Frostbite:
    young-heroes-in-love-13-2.jpg
    Last edited by The Invincible Beawulf; 08-02-2021 at 09:53 AM.
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Incredible Member

I avoided that Ric era like the plague, but there's something right about bouncing a hornybait (for men, women and all the non-conforming genders in between) character like Dick with queer characters, even if Dick isn't canonized as queer.

Like, his interactions with Midnighter were gold. Still think Midnighter should be able to kick his ass silly if he really wanted to, but I subscribe to the idea that Midnighter enjoys the repartee. I'd love a scene where Batman brings up Dick's association with Midnighter and Dick claps back.

Dick I'm conflicted about. I could see him as pansexual but I also don't think it's needed. He's a sex symbol and loves the red-haired ladies and is comfortable with himself enough to flaunt his stuff and talk up anybody, regardless of gender or orientation, and charm them.

Well, almost anybody. I don't think everybody should be fawning for the twunk white boy thirst trap. Let him try to holla at Mari McCabe and she just looks at him and goes, "No, honey. No"

I avoided that Ric era like the plague, but there's something right about bouncing a hornybait (for men, women and all the non-conforming genders in between) character like Dick with queer characters, even if Dick isn't canonized as queer.

Like, his interactions with Midnighter were gold. Still think Midnighter should be able to kick his ass silly if he really wanted to, but I subscribe to the idea that Midnighter enjoys the repartee. I'd love a scene where Batman brings up Dick's association with Midnighter and Dick claps back.

Dick I'm conflicted about. I could see him as pansexual but I also don't think it's needed. He's a sex symbol and loves the red-haired ladies and is comfortable with himself enough to flaunt his stuff and talk up anybody, regardless of gender or orientation, and charm them.

Well, almost anybody. I don't think everybody should be fawning for the twunk white boy thirst trap. Let him try to holla at Mari McCabe and she just looks at him and goes, "No, honey. No"

I also hated that awful Ric Grayson, Dicky Boy whatever period... but Hutch & Sapienza (& Dick of course) were hot

See, I completely agree with you on this Dick Grayson thing... He's a sex symbol & charmer, he knows it, & is unabashedly proud about it. I don't care about his sexuality, I don't care about Dick/Babs & Dick/Kory... I love Dick the way he is
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    Jason could return one day. They might reboot him and give him a new backstory and he could be part of Diana's supporting cast. But I don't want him to be Diana's brother. Diana should remain an only child.
    For me, that's part of the intrigue and appeal, so retconning Jason to no longer be Diana's brother wouldn't be ideal for me.

Astonishing Member

Speaking of Obsidian, I wish he got a new updated costumed look. His current looks is overdue for a makeover/streamlining, and I'd love something in the vein of the Phil Cho fan-take from the Earth-27 fanproject.

I'd also like to see him outside of his costume, as that's something we've historically infrequently see.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Speaking of Obsidian, I wish he got a new updated costumed look. His current looks is overdue for a makeover/streamlining, and I'd love something in the vein of the Phil Cho fan-take from the Earth-27 fanproject.

I'd also like to see him outside of his costume, as that's something we've historically infrequently see.
    Do you mean this re-design? This would be a nice updated costume for Obsidian; keeps the classic blue/black color scheme but looks a bit more sinister, I like it - it well reflects his shadow-based powers + in Infinite Frontier (maybe?) he says there's darkness inside him that he's learned to accept & harness (or something like that).

https://www.deviantart.com/phil-cho/...sion-756380517

obsidian - phil cho.jpg
    Last edited by The Invincible Beawulf; 08-02-2021 at 09:53 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    The voting really was stacked against JLQ with them up against the Robin book.
    I believe the JLQ got the second most votes of all the options.
    I think there is a market for a JLQ mini or something.
    That really was something. In fact, some of other fun ideas felt like they didn't have a chance based on where they were placed. I'd have loved to have gotten that "Son of The Creeper" book. The JLQ VS Robin in the first round was indeed the most egregious, though.

Astonishing Member

Speaking on more contrary opinions, I actually enjoyed the Ric-run of Nightwing, and adored the new Nightwing team and their story.

(Mind you all, I didn't like how Grayson "became" Ric, as I think it was tacky of Tom King to do what he did and leave Grayson in that state as collateral. But with that said, I feel that Lobdell made the best of an unfortunate situation. The run was something I did genuinely enjoy.)

Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    Do you mean this re-design? This would be a nice updated costume for Obsidian; keeps the classic blue/black color scheme but looks a bit more sinister, I like it - it well reflects his shadow-based powers + in Infinite Frontier (maybe?) he says there's darkness inside him that he's learned to accept & harness (or something like that).

https://www.deviantart.com/phil-cho/...sion-756380517

obsidian - phil cho.jpg
    Yep, this is the one. Love this energy!

Tom King's whole career started when he wrote Grayson. I doubt Tom meant to hurt the character at all. Are we even sure that it was his idea and not an editorial mandate?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Tom King's whole career started when he wrote Grayson. I doubt Tom meant to hurt the character at all. Are we even sure that it was his idea and not an editorial mandate?
    It would be weird to assume it was an "editorial mandate", since he had pretty much free-reign over the mainline Batman book at the time, and there's no reason to assume editorial would make such a specific mandate. Nightwing getting shot worked perfectly in-line with the other drama stuff going on his run, all of it meant to test and tear at Bruce/Batman.

I mean, it was an insignificant part of King's run. It was just the catalyst for Batman going after KG beast for two issues. I don't think it ever came up again. I don't see why King would have asked for Dick Grayson to lose his memories since it had no bearing on his Batman run

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    It would be weird to assume it was an "editorial mandate", since he had pretty much free-reign over the mainline Batman book at the time, and there's no reason to assume editorial would make such a specific mandate. Nightwing getting shot worked perfectly in-line with the other drama stuff going on his run, all of it meant to test and tear at Bruce/Batman.
    I think King actually said that he planned Dick to have some kind of Vertigo as a result of the shooting, that would prevent him from being Nightwing for some time, and Tim was supposed to fill his shoes and be Nightwing until he got better.

So not an amnesia arc, but one with Tim as Nightwing.

Personally, I really couldn't stand the Nightwings, but it's possible that making Tim Nightwing would be even worse. It could have lead to some kind of expectation that one day he would be Nightwing, instead of carving his own niche.

Like, his interactions with Midnighter were gold. Still think Midnighter should be able to kick his ass silly if he really wanted to, but I subscribe to the idea that Midnighter enjoys the repartee. I'd love a scene where Batman brings up Dick's association with Midnighter and Dick claps back
    This article reminded me of your comment:
    https://www.cbr.com/have-batman-and-...lly-never-met/