Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
I forgot about Aresia and Tsukuri. Yeah, they were defintiely more than just 'teammates'. I thought Star Sapphire being okay with a world without men might have been a hint that she plays both teams. Hath-Set is another strong possibility since he was a parallel to Kragger.

Normally, I'm hesitant to label what could be friendships as romance but Harley/Ivy from nearly everyone who has ever worked on them has been coded as a romance. Wish we could have seen more of Audrey and Diana. She was the one friend she had outside of the JL.

Supergirl and Batgirl had a lot of subtext as well:

Where did J'onn appear most recently?

I like how in JLU he based his 'superhero' appearance off of Superman. I agree that for the modern age him being gender non forming person would be the way to go.
Someone explain it to me because I don't really see any subtext between Kara and Barbara there? I don't remember the rest of the episode so maybe it was further in, but I don't really see anything other than "two kids idealize the other's life while bemoaning their own" which is pretty much a staple for any two characters from different backgrounds in fiction. You get the same thing when Robin first meets Superman and thinks everything about his surrogate uncle is so cool and compares it to how he and his surrogate dad live, usually unfavorably before Dick needs to show Bruce how he appreciates him or else Batman will be sad again. lol

What am I too blind to see?

I agree with J'onn and with most shapeshifters, though I do think that someone who becomes one need not necessarily become any more or less queer. As an example: if you're a lesbian Amazon and become a shapeshifter, it doesn't necessarily mean they'll no longer identify female and find women attractive and feel nothing sexually stimulating about others. I do believe it would be the cause of a lot of introspection and possibly a revelation about themselves, but not that it's a hard-and-fast rule that it happens.

J'onn, however, comes from a different society full of shapeshifters and the most recent origin indicates that they pick a gender identity (and shape) when they reach a certain age, so it stands to reason that J'onn could simply be heterosexual and masculine, but I strongly doubt it. With J'onn, like with Diana, I suspect that until now his more queer tendencies were simply off panel or subdued because he longed for a little of that acceptance that his friend Superman was so freely given. J'onn's a strong dude, but his family and race were exterminated and he's old enough to carry the baggage. I wouldn't fault him for struggling to fully be himself if he thought it would cost him companionship. Loneliness is very successful at making people compromise themselves to be rid of it.

I have a similar opinion on Starfire, who while it's possible she's straight, given what we know of Tamaran (or at least her perception of it through recollection), she's likely pan.

Clayface as a closeted actor is the best read on him. If that's gay, bisexual or more broadly queer then so be it, but ever since I saw that episode as an adult (it flew over my head as a child) I can't see him any other way and Alan Tudyk riffing on it with his performance kind of solidified it.