Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    Yeah, it's a bit redundant indeed. I'm not really interested in Clark-lite young adult Jon, I'd have cared more about kid Jon. But let's see & try to enjoy Taylor's run. Maybe he'll manage to find Jon's own voice & make him different from Clark. One can only hope.

So far I have the impression that Jon is a mixture of Golden Age & New 52 Clark Kent/Kal-El. Plus, how he looks like (Clark's baby-blues, black hair, etc) - he's Clark Jr, he's so cute
    What I think you're saying is that Taylor is trying to make Jon his own character but then you literally describe Jon as a carbon copy of his father, the exact opposite of Taylor's alleged intention. DC has had three years since the age up to develop Jon into his own character and failed at that, instead only succeeding in making a clone of Clark Kent that is more like Clark than Clark's actual clone.

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    What I think you're saying is that Taylor is trying to make Jon his own character but then you literally describe Jon as a carbon copy of his father, the exact opposite of Taylor's alleged intention. DC has had three years since the age up to develop Jon into his own character and failed at that, instead only succeeding in making a clone of Clark Kent that is more like Clark than Clark's actual clone.
    Yeah, what I'm saying is that Taylor is trying to make Jon unique, but it seems that Jon, for now, is highly similar to Clark. Taylor's SoKe is only at #5, so I'm just trying to give a chance to this run, because I think DC is not planning to de-age Jon in the near future.
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Yeah, what I'm saying is that Taylor is trying to make Jon unique, but it seems that Jon, for now, is highly similar to Clark. Taylor's SoKe is only at #5, so I'm just trying to give a chance to this run, because I think DC is not planning to de-age Jon in the near future.
    The problem isn't that Jon is similar to Clark. I mean, who's he gonna be like given he was raised by Superman? Lois, of course, so he should be displaying more traits from her, but that's something that would've happened with time.

The problem is that DC's idea of developing Jon is making him more and more like Clark. Like I said, they had three years to differentiate him from his father and instead they made him more similar to his father than when he was a kid. Just because he has a male love interest doesn't actually make him different from Clark when not only is Jay a journalist like Lois, he's also a Lois fanboy.

DC may be forced to de-age Jon whether they like it or not given the sharp decline in sales in just the first few issues, barring issue 5 because it's a statistical outlier and shouldn't be counted, and the previous issues being sold out because that can be attributed to collectors and speculators and not new readers. Taylor had his chance and he whiffed it. SSoK's decline is only going to continue with issue 6.

Extraordinary Member

The problem isn't that Jon is similar to Clark. I mean, who's he gonna be like given he was raised by Superman? Lois, of course, so he should be displaying more traits from her, but that's something that would've happened with time.

The problem is that DC's idea of developing Jon is making him more and more like Clark. Like I said, they had three years to differentiate him from his father and instead they made him more similar to his father than when he was a kid. Just because he has a male love interest doesn't actually make him different from Clark when not only is Jay a journalist like Lois, he's also a Lois fanboy.

DC may be forced to de-age Jon whether they like it or not given the sharp decline in sales in just the first few issues, barring issue 5 because it's a statistical outlier and shouldn't be counted, and the previous issues being sold out because that can be attributed to collectors and speculators and not new readers. Taylor had his chance and he whiffed it. SSoK's decline is only going to continue with issue 6.
    You dont cancel superman. You especially dont cancel their now front row lgbt rep. They let titles scrap below 10,000. He is not being deaged

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Yeah, it's a bit redundant indeed. I'm not really interested in Clark-lite young adult Jon, I'd have cared more about kid Jon. But let's see & try to enjoy Taylor's run. Maybe he'll manage to find Jon's own voice & make him different from Clark. One can only hope.

So far I have the impression that Jon is a mixture of Golden Age & New 52 Clark Kent/Kal-El. Plus, how he looks like (Clark's baby-blues, black hair, etc) - he's Clark Jr, he's so cute
    He's a good looking dude, I just wish he had more of his mother's features too. He may as well be a clone and we already have a clone superboy.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    You dont cancel superman. You especially dont cancel their now front row lgbt rep. They let titles scrap below 10,000. He is not being deaged
    There's a first for everything. And it's not like they won't give Jon a solo Superboy book once he's de-aged. A book like that will capture the YA and queer audiences way better than SSoK has or ever will.
    Last edited by garazza; 12-13-2021 at 03:20 PM.

I absolutely get your reasoning & I admire your devotion to kid Jon. You are correct - there could have been great potential in kid Jon growing up - we could have seen his development both as Lois' & Clark's son. We could have seen Jon developing traits that makes him different from Clark & more similar to Lois. And yeah, so far, there seems to be a contradiction between what Taylor emphasized in his interviews (making Jon more similar to Lois) & how he's writing Jon (Clark-lite). The most blatant example of that for me is simply the title Superman: Son of Kal-El - only mentioning Clark.

However, maybe we should wait like until issue 12 to decide whether SoKE is a (financial) failure or success.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    He's a good looking dude, I just wish he had more of his mother's features too. He may as well be a clone and we already have a clone superboy.
    Yeah, I'd also love to see Jon with purple eyes & more with his mother's features. It would have emphasized that he's not only Clark's son.
    Last edited by The Invincible Beawulf; 12-14-2021 at 05:59 AM.
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Spectacular Member

I still think they should've just aged Jon up to 13 and explore his sexuality as he's going through super puberty.

Extraordinary Member

Icemaiden Sigrid returned today. She’s called Glacier now.

I'd rather he have his own solo. Guy carried 183 issues and a dozen more after a name change. Cass and Steph finally got a book. Why not Tim?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Icemaiden Sigrid returned today. She’s called Glacier now.
    I'm surprised she was not only remembered, but that they remembered she's bi. Where did she show up?
    May we never forget:

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I'm surprised she was not only remembered, but that they remembered she's bi. Where did she show up?
    In the Justice League Queer story in the Holiday special

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    In the Justice League Queer story in the Holiday special
    Great. I'm looking forward to it.

I totally didn't write "cool" and then delete it. No sir.
    May we never forget:

Incredible Member

I'd rather he have his own solo. Guy carried 183 issues and a dozen more after a name change. Cass and Steph finally got a book. Why not Tim?
    Honestly, I'm not sure that Tim could sustain a solo right now. He lost a lot of his status and popularity. He's no longer Robin, and he lost direction about 10 years ago.
    I'd suggest a mini, hopefully one that would establish his staus (maybe college?), supporting cast and new codename.