Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 355
  1. #166
    Mighty Member Primal Slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,270

    Default

    Reading this issue about Tim I didnt feel it was forced at all. It was just exploring a new aspct of the character, one where he's young and its very normal to develop feelings for someone and decide to explore them.

    But now DC needs to remember that it needs to be explored and isnt a "well we said it in issue X so we can move on from it and reference it during Pride month"

  2. #167
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    18,506

    Default

    I highly doubt this will be a situation like Wonder Woman. This looks to be something they're very much willing to explore going forward. Looks to me like Harley, Ivy, Tim, and to a lesser extent Alan (I only say that because as of now he's not as popular) will be the queer faces of DC.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "“Your boos mean nothing, I’ve seen what makes you cheer!”

  3. #168

    Default

    I feel like these types of changes work better with younger characters because it feels like a coming-of-age thing.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

  4. #169
    Ultimate Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    12,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I highly doubt this will be a situation like Wonder Woman. This looks to be something they're very much willing to explore going forward. Looks to me like Harley, Ivy, Tim, and to a lesser extent Alan (I only say that because as of now he's not as popular) will be the queer faces of DC.
    Also Midnighter and Apollo hopefully.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

  5. #170
    Mighty Member Primal Slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I highly doubt this will be a situation like Wonder Woman. This looks to be something they're very much willing to explore going forward. Looks to me like Harley, Ivy, Tim, and to a lesser extent Alan (I only say that because as of now he's not as popular) will be the queer faces of DC.
    Which if people can accept Harley/Ivy as bisexual when they spent more than a decade as "straight" then it shouldn't be wrong for Tim.

  6. #171
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    18,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Also Midnighter and Apollo hopefully.
    Oh of course, I still sometimes forget to associate them directly with DC even though they've been in-verse for some time now.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "“Your boos mean nothing, I’ve seen what makes you cheer!”

  7. #172
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Also Midnighter and Apollo hopefully.
    Midnighter and Apollo should get more attention. There could greenlight an animated series or live-action series about The Authority.

  8. #173
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    There was backlash on Instagram. People were pissed not only about Tim but Alan as well (the main one). Tim ( while he is no longer the main Robin) is still more popular than Alan because he had his own book, supporting cast, and fans, unlike Alan. Alan has a son Obsidian who is gay, so there was no reason to change Alan's sexuality. People are not mad when they introduce LGBTQ+ characters, but when they change already established characters.
    I am not saying there is no backlash, there always will be, but I am surprised by the fact that it is not huge so far. I felt that eventhough he is not really popular now there was more backlash against Scott's change than I am seeing with this Tim reveal.

    Maybe because there was a built up for three months or because he already had a huge fan base that use to head canon him as bi I am seeing a less negative response in the fandom.

  9. #174
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I highly doubt this will be a situation like Wonder Woman. This looks to be something they're very much willing to explore going forward. Looks to me like Harley, Ivy, Tim, and to a lesser extent Alan (I only say that because as of now he's not as popular) will be the queer faces of DC.
    John Constantine and Aqualad (Jackson Hyde) could also be the queer faces of DC.

  10. #175
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,753

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    John Constantine and Aqualad (Jackson Hyde) could also be the queer faces of DC.
    His upcoming mini indicates this is a focus for them, certainly.
    May we never forget:

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

  11. #176
    Incredible Member Magnito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    515

    Default

    Popping in over from the Marvel side to show my support. I read a little DC, but not much. However, from what I have read, Tim was always my favourite Robin. So I like this for him.

    If they do something with it. Which is yet to be seen.

  12. #177
    Fantastic Member atomicskull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    The way he spiraled after Conner died and the unintentional subtext many picked up on between them before then (I don't really ship them but I can understand how some read them that way) has the foundation to go there.

    I don't see it as much on Conner's side but the way Tim was after Superboy's death, well, yeah I did see some of that there.

    I don't think these reveals work for every character and I disagree with other fans on a lot of them, but this one works for this reader of over two decades. Same with Alan Scott, honestly. That reveal slots in surprisingly well.

    I do think this one works with bisexual Tim, though. There's no convincing me he isn't attracted to Stephanie or Arianna when he was younger. Or a lot of the women he's been interested in. Let him be the bisexual king he is.

    I've lost male friends in my life, doesn't mean I'm bi. It just means that i was devastated over the lost of a friend.

  13. #178
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    73,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    I've lost male friends in my life, doesn't mean I'm bi. It just means that i was devastated over the lost of a friend.
    Admittedly this was also coming off a trauma conga line of losing Stephanie and his dad, so Conner was kind of the last straw. I remember Tim going on a rant about all the people he lost when he was considering using a Lazarus Pit to resurrect Conner.

  14. #179
    Original CBR member Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,672

    Default

    I'm shocked DC read my mind on this one. I expected Tim or Jason to be gay or bi-sexual in the near future.

    When you look at the size and dynamics of the Batfamily, specifically the Robins, this move makes sense, especially if DC ever tries to fit all these characters together in live-action.

    The extended Batfamily is about 20 members strong, not counting Batman Inc heroes. Out of all those members, Kate Kane is the only LGBTQ character fans know. Many don't know Harper Row or that she is gay. However, the Batfamily core members are really only about six (debatable, but let's not get sidetracked). I'm talking about the consistent characters who don't fade in and out of limbo but have been Bruce's longtime allies.

    Bruce
    Dick
    Barbara
    Jason
    Tim
    Damian

    In the Batfamily hierarchy, Robins hold the most prominent place after Bruce and Alfred. (You could argue Barbara is above some Robins.) I know some consider Steph and Duke Robins, but most don't. I think Duke is Robin-like and might be better served, as a Robin or just a better name, but I digress!

    So if you look at the core Robins. Dick, Jason, Tim, and Damian. They all weirdly look the same, despite not being related to one another. What are the odds? Although Jason originally had red hair, and I liked that Morrison brought that back by saying Bruce made him dye it. Still, beyond that, for mainstream audiences, I always thought DC could differentiate these characters a little more.

    You wouldn't alter Dick. He's too well established, as the fourth character DC created. He's been around for decades in various multimedia. He's been romantically tied to both Barbra Gordon and Starfire for 20+ years now, in the comics, cartoons, and live-action. He's well established at this point.

    Jason and Tim are not, especially in multimedia. The hallmarks of Jason's character are: being a brat, getting killed by the Joker, and becoming the Redhood. For Tim, it's being the third Robin. (I know Tim has other accolades, but his prowess as a Detective is no longer as prominent, and his time on Young Justice has kind of faded thanks to the New 52 and the cartoon.) For Damian, he's Bruce's biological son. The son of Talia Al Ghul and grandson of Ra's Al Ghul. Plus, he's an arrogant, spoiled brat, but that is part of his charm. Morrison had Damian grow out of that, but then the New 52 happened, and those are his defining character traits now.

    Tim or Jason being LGBTQ isn't surprising, nor does it drastically change their characters. You could say the same for Damian, I guess, but I have a feeling DC would never make Damian LGBTQ. I'm a little warry of the Bat-books final decision-makers. I still remember years back when creatives were contractually obligated not to discuss homosexuality in Batman. DC was so paranoid about the subject for years and years.


    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homose...tman_franchise
    The J-man

  15. #180
    Incredible Member witchboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    945

    Default

    I've been celebrating Tim coming out all day.
    I do think DC and the Bat books need a prominent male couple.
    I love Apollo and Midnighter but they aren't very well known, and I think they worked better in Wildstorm than the mainstream DC. Giving Tim a hero for a partner down the road I think is the way to go. Conner seems the obvious choice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •