Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I'm shocked DC read my mind on this one. I expected Tim or Jason to be gay or bi-sexual in the near future.

When you look at the size and dynamics of the Batfamily, specifically the Robins, this move makes sense, especially if DC ever tries to fit all these characters together in live-action.

The extended Batfamily is about 20 members strong, not counting Batman Inc heroes. Out of all those members, Kate Kane is the only LGBTQ character fans know. Many don't know Harper Row or that she is gay. However, the Batfamily core members are really only about six (debatable, but let's not get sidetracked). I'm talking about the consistent characters who don't fade in and out of limbo but have been Bruce's longtime allies.

Bruce
    Dick
    Barbara
    Jason
    Tim
    Damian

In the Batfamily hierarchy, Robins hold the most prominent place after Bruce and Alfred. (You could argue Barbara is above some Robins.) I know some consider Steph and Duke Robins, but most don't. I think Duke is Robin-like and might be better served, as a Robin or just a better name, but I digress!

So if you look at the core Robins. Dick, Jason, Tim, and Damian. They all weirdly look the same, despite not being related to one another. What are the odds? Although Jason originally had red hair, and I liked that Morrison brought that back by saying Bruce made him dye it. Still, beyond that, for mainstream audiences, I always thought DC could differentiate these characters a little more.

You wouldn't alter Dick. He's too well established, as the fourth character DC created. He's been around for decades in various multimedia. He's been romantically tied to both Barbra Gordon and Starfire for 20+ years now, in the comics, cartoons, and live-action. He's well established at this point.

Jason and Tim are not, especially in multimedia. The hallmarks of Jason's character are: being a brat, getting killed by the Joker, and becoming the Redhood. For Tim, it's being the third Robin. (I know Tim has other accolades, but his prowess as a Detective is no longer as prominent, and his time on Young Justice has kind of faded thanks to the New 52 and the cartoon.) For Damian, he's Bruce's biological son. The son of Talia Al Ghul and grandson of Ra's Al Ghul. Plus, he's an arrogant, spoiled brat, but that is part of his charm. Morrison had Damian grow out of that, but then the New 52 happened, and those are his defining character traits now.

Tim or Jason being LGBTQ isn't surprising, nor does it drastically change their characters. You could say the same for Damian, I guess, but I have a feeling DC would never make Damian LGBTQ. I'm a little warry of the Bat-books final decision-makers. I still remember years back when creatives were contractually obligated not to discuss homosexuality in Batman. DC was so paranoid about the subject for years and years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homose...tman_franchise
    Well I always thought that If DC were to make someone in the Batfamily gay it would have been Damian. I didn't expected to be Tim.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I've been celebrating Tim coming out all day.
    I do think DC and the Bat books need a prominent male couple.
    I love Apollo and Midnighter but they aren't very well known, and I think they worked better in Wildstorm than the mainstream DC. Giving Tim a hero for a partner down the road I think is the way to go. Conner seems the obvious choice.
    I wouldn't be surprised that instead of Conner they decide to make Jon Kent gay or bisexual. He is probably Tim's age now. I prefer Conner to be with Cassie.

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised that instead of Conner they decide to make Jon Kent gay or bisexual. He is probably Tim's age now. I prefer Conner to be with Cassie.
    I really rooted for a gay Jon. People always say don't "change" an existing character, make a new one. And there was Jon, a blank slate, but they seem to be playing it safe with him and are invested in him big time, while Conner is the one who's been sidelined more recently. I would celebrate either of them coming out, but I think Conner is the one they're willing to do it with if they'd do either.
    And there's long been a big Tim/Conner fandom, and Tim just came out so, if it's going to be either, that's what I expect.
    Tim and Jon would be a twist nobody else saw coming.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I really rooted for a gay Jon. People always say don't "change" an existing character, make a new one. And there was Jon, a blank slate, but they seem to be playing it safe with him and are invested in him big time, while Conner is the one who's been sidelined more recently. I would celebrate either of them coming out, but I think Conner is the one they're willing to do it with if they'd do either.
    And there's long been a big Tim/Conner fandom, and Tim just came out so, if it's going to be either, that's what I expect.
    Tim and Jon would be a twist nobody else saw coming.
    Conner has Young Justice (where he's engaged to Miss Martian, which is a popular ship) and Titans. He has been used more in media these recent years than Tim. I know there is a Tim/Conner fandom but I prefer Conner to be straight and Jon to be gay or bisexual. I even came across a fan-made LGBTQ+ comic about Damian and Jon. There are people who ship Jon and Damian.

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    Conner has Young Justice (where he's engaged to Miss Martian, which is a popular ship) and Titans. He has been used more in media these recent years than Tim. I know there is a Tim/Conner fandom but I prefer Conner to be straight and Jon to be gay or bisexual. I even came across a fan-made LGBTQ+ comic about Damian and Jon. There are people who ship Jon and Damian.
    I did think that Jon and Damien could grow up someday to be a couple, years from now. Aging Jon up and having him date girls has ruined that possibility. There is a Jon/Damien fandom. I still think DC should've left Jon as a kid and done more with Supersons and let Conner fill that role as the teen Superboy.
    Not only did Jon have a unique role as a pre-teen super boy, they had to write Clark and Lois terribly to allow for all the damage done to Jon to age him up. Everybody came out of that worse for the wear imo.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I dont think DC has grown up enough to give Superman/Batman gay children.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I dont think DC has grown up enough to give Superman/Batman gay children.
    Tom King’s Helena Wayne though.

Also Tim is essentially Batman's kid. At least he considers him as such. I think there would have been at least a halfway decent shot of giving Superman a lgbtq kid once upon a time, but there's no way they do that with Jon now while they're insisting on him playing as Superman, that's for sure. Its no longer a possibility until that's over with.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Also Tim is essentially Batman's kid. At least he considers him as such. I think there would have been at least a halfway decent shot of giving Superman a lgbtq kid once upon a time, but there's no way they do that with Jon now while they're insisting on him playing as Superman, that's for sure. Its no longer a possibility until that's over with.
    The Superman Family has……Natasha Irons, and I guess that’s it.

Memory's spotty, but I think they were hinting that Lucy and her roommate might have become a thing or at least were into each other during the New 52. But hell I don't think the character has even been seen again since then, compounded with the fact nothing from that era matters to the mythos anymore.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Tom King’s Helena Wayne though.
    A title that can barely come out in time and is under their black label where she'll never be seen again likely. Guess thats growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Bruce may look at him as a son but he isnt his biological son and Tim grew up having a family. I wouldnt look at it as the same.

Bruce never actually punished Damian for almost killing Tim. I'm just saying

Anyway DC better write Tim with respect. I've got my eye on you Batbooks
    The J-man

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    The Superman Family has……Natasha Irons, and I guess that’s it.
    We'd have to see the Superman family for them to actually have characters.

I think most would agree after looking at Jimmy's history that he's probably pan.

I'm semi-convinced that Steve Lombard is deeply in the closet and hyper compensating for it with how much of an ass he makes himself.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I expected Tim or Jason to be gay or bi-sexual in the near future.
    I still think that Jason, a character with a lot of angst and insecurities would be a terrible choice.
    To be "out and proud" would simply not fit the character, and he really doesn't need another source for angst.

And it would probably only a matter of time untill some writer would come up with some "brilliant" idea, to tie this into Jason's back story or make it the reason for Jason's anger issues ...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Which if people can accept Harley/Ivy as bisexual when they spent more than a decade as "straight" then it shouldn't be wrong for Tim.
    Harley and Ivy have been in team up stories since the animated series, and appart from the Harley's relationship with the Joker, both had never really another significant relationship.