Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

The holiday special sounds like a lot of fun. Nice to see the JLQ is getting used.

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Enh.. the problem comes when those two goals conflict. Changing stuff to try to appeal to "new fans" often backfires and makes everyone mad.
    The thing here is the idea of change for the sake of change.
    people may or may not relate to a character for practically any reason.
    That's the basic gist of properly establishing ANY character trait. You have to use it in a story and not just say "X is Y" in out of universe material.
    See previous comment about actually using it. If it doesn't even come up in universe it didn't happen. If it's a minor throw-away line in a story... it's irrelevant. So.... why bother at all?
    Pandering is there to describe marketing where the marketing isn't selling the actual product but making some appeal trying to sell that ISN'T directly based on the product. It's like that old thing with "blaxploitation" films. A lot of them were marketed in ways centered on the color of skin of the actors, and not other merits. It's seen as a bad thing because consumers see it as a way of pushing an inferior product.
    Retcons are generally disliked. Exceptions exist, but... they're exceptions. It's different if it's actually unexplored aspects of a character.... IF....
    Honestly, while the idea is that it's the "subtle nuances" of how a story is written, in practice... it's often people reading between the lines and not actually what the story was written.
    okay everybody has their own opinion, that's it!
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

The Batman Annual will focus on Ghost-Maker.

BATMAN 2021 ANNUAL #1

By JAMES TYNION IV & RICARDO LÓPEZ ORTIZ

Batman #107-111 have featured an epic, brutal tale of Batman’s frenemy Ghost-Maker in the backup stories…and the senses-shattering conclusion to the saga is here! Ghost-Maker has fought his way across Devil Skull Island, and he’s about to face every single villain from his rogues gallery…at once? Can even this legendary warrior survive the onslaught?

$5.99 US | 48 PAGES
    ON SALE 11/30/21
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    The next logical step is for Tim, Kon and Cassie to become a happy, polyamorous family.
    I mean, Marvel broke the mold with Cyclops, Jean and Wolverine. How long before DC does it?

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/sexu...rman-spoilers/

I've never expected that DC is planning to make Jon Kent queer - that would be a bold move - but also, DC is not planning to retire Clark as Superman, so I'm suspecting there will be 3 Supermen: Daddy/Classic Superman (Clark), Gen Z Superman (Jon), and Earth-3 Superman (Connor/Kon).

And there's a clear intention to have multiple characters having/sharing the very same mantle, for example:

Classic -- Gen Z, Fresh Start, 21st c. version (name it whatever you want):

Clark Kent -- Jon Kent, Kon(?)
    Diana -- Yara Flor
    Bruce Wayne -- Jace/Tim Fox
    Arthur -- Jackson Hyde, Andy Curry(?) (but I'm suspecting DC will bring back Arthur Curry Jr. as well)
    John Stewart & Hal Jordan -- Jo Mullein
    As for the Robin title, we don't know whether there will be multiple Robins (Tim Drake & Damian Wayne) yet.

It seems that DC is trying to diversify their range of characters & keep their classic line-up at the same time.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/sexu...rman-spoilers/

I've never expected that DC is planning to make Jon Kent queer - that would be a bold move - but also, DC is not planning to retire Clark as Superman, so I'm suspecting there will be 3 Supermen: Daddy/Classic Superman (Clark), Gen Z Superman (Jon), and Earth-3 Superman (Connor/Kon).

And there's a clear intention to have multiple characters having/sharing the very same mantle, for example:

Classic -- Gen Z, Fresh Start, 21st c. version (name it whatever you want):

Clark Kent -- Jon Kent, Kon(?)
    Diana -- Yara Flor
    Bruce Wayne -- Jace/Tim Fox
    Arthur -- Jackson Hyde, Andy Curry(?) (but I'm suspecting DC will bring back Arthur Curry Jr. as well)
    John Stewart & Hal Jordan -- Jo Mullein
    As for the Robin title, we don't know whether there will be multiple Robins (Tim Drake & Damian Wayne) yet.

It seems that DC is trying to diversify their range of characters & keep their classic line-up at the same time.
    I think they're investing more in Calvin than Kon as Superman, for what it's worth.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I think they're investing more in Calvin than Kon as Superman, for what it's worth.
    Yeah, I totally forgot about Calvin as the multiversal Superman! I really like him & Thomas Wayne Batman (also the Justice Incarnate team) in Infinite Frontier

Spectacular Member

Jon Kent a LGBTQ character ? Well why not ? It a recent character who have a sexuality no complety defined. (Ok in this two only relationship it was two girls, but hey nothing tell he can no like guys)

Curious to see if DC will pass the cap or it will still an idea.

Wait and see

Quote Originally Posted by Dioman-san View Post
    Jon Kent a LGBTQ character ? Well why not ? It a recent character who have a sexuality no complety defined. (Ok in this two only relationship it was two girls, but hey nothing tell he can no like guys)
    Nah, if he only showed attraction towards women he can't possibly be anything other than straight. /s

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    When Jay Nakamura was revealed in the solicitation cover, my first reaction was, oh Jon's got a new boyfriend now? (since people ship him with Damian) but if they're making it real then I'm not hearing the protest since people have been saying they want a new character, and Jon's new enough.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Isn’t Kon still the current Superboy?
    This way DC still has the name in use.

Spectacular Member

Nah, if he only showed attraction towards women he can't possibly be anything other than straight. /s
    No necessarily, you can be attracted by the same sex when you grown up. Also the editorials before want prefer a straight jon kent maybe.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dioman-san View Post
    No necessarily, you can be attracted by the same sex when you grown up. Also the editorials before want prefer a straight jon kent maybe.
    Psy-lock was being facetious. /s means sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    When Jay Nakamura was revealed in the solicitation cover, my first reaction was, oh Jon's got a new boyfriend now? (since people ship him with Damian) but if they're making it real then I'm not hearing the protest since people have been saying they want a new character, and Jon's new enough.
    Eh, we know how this goes. When it's an old character they say "just create new characters", when it's a new character they say "it's woke agenda". There's just no winning with some people :p

Anyway, we shall see. There's some speculation that this Jay Nakamura guy is a reincarnation of Jenny Sparks, which could be very interesting.

Eh, we know how this goes. When it's an old character they say "just create new characters", when it's a new character they say "it's woke agenda". There's just no winning with some people

Anyway, we shall see. There's some speculation that this Jay Nakamura guy is a reincarnation of Jenny Sparks, which could be very interesting.
    I think part of the issue is a logic flaw in the nature of advocacy and not even specific to this topic... X, Y, or Z is desired to be seen as normal... but advocating it forces it to be used in a context where it CAN'T be normal. Thus creating a paradox where seemingly the only way to win is to give up.

Applying this to comic book writing... it's normally a minor background detail that doesn't define a character and often doesn't even come up in the stories. So when people try to use it as a reason to support a specific character, it's a lot like saying you should read X character's book because they have red hair.... it kinda shoots itself in the foot merely by existing.
    Last edited by marhawkman; 08-25-2021 at 09:25 AM.