Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Gritty & Realistic Member Hatestorm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Supposedly there was plenty of hate in the thread itself to justify a bunch of bans. As far as linking user profiles to actions outside of CBR itself, absent identical e-mails or other identifying information, I suppose it could be hard, but I'm not sure just how much responsibility Jonah should have taken on for activity outside of his site.

In any case, it seems like an overreaction, but I don't mind giving the new forums a chance. Now to see if there are any decent conversations started yet.
    There wasn't anything worse than snarky responses.

Clearly, someone didn't like the issue being discussed and the journalist being challenged to begin with, as perfectly reasonable posts began disappearing, and it was only the dissenting posters who were being censored.

After a while, they stopped being deleted, but i think at that point the admin had given up and made the decision to reboot the whole forum, so the content of that thread didn't matter anymore.

/theory

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Or folks could just remember not to use the profanity. I do agree that negative reviews and critiques on comics work should be permitted, so long as they don't constitute personal attacks on the creators themselves.
    What you have said is absolutely true.
    If someone wishes to post a thought out negative critique of some work ... well, go for it. If you don't like a comic book issue and can express that in an articulate and civil manner, go for your life.
    If someone wishes to make personal comments about comic book creators (or other Community members), that's when they will be removed from the Community.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

Can we get our old avatar pictures back? I made my old avatar pic on my previous computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    Can we get our old avatar pictures back? I made my old avatar pic on my previous computer.
    You could go to the old forum archive, find one of your old posts, and save it from there.

http://oldforums.comicbookresources.com/

It was a hilarious overreaction by the staff. I can't really fathom why they thought some writer getting flamed in an articles comment section warranted purging the entire forums. There's no logical sense to it.

Weird...came in the morning and everything is gone

Feel kinda sad though

Quote Originally Posted by megaharrison View Post
    It was a hilarious overreaction by the staff. I can't really fathom why they thought some writer getting flamed in an articles comment section warranted purging the entire forums. There's no logical sense to it.
    Please note that example was used as ... well, an example. We haven't been happy with the direction and level of discussion for a time now, across all manner of levels.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Hanvey View Post
    You could go to the old forum archive, find one of your old posts, and save it from there.

http://oldforums.comicbookresources.com/
    Edit: It helps if I upload the picture right. Duh.

Pity about the old forum. I joined back in 2007. For the most part everyone was polite in the threads I was familiar with, though I know that there were some posters who got rude and out of control once in a while. Ah well. I'm glad they are leaving the old threads up for a few days. There was some really terrific art posted in a few of the threads that I'd like to go back and save.
    Last edited by Clea; 04-30-2014 at 08:35 PM.

BANNED

So they ban how many users and how many years of history for one thread? This is really sad.

This has been an gross overuse of power. There is no way that it should have happened. The offending users could have easily been banned.

This used to be a forum for free speech and empowerment.

Quote Originally Posted by powertripinmod View Post
    So they ban how many users and how many years of history for one thread? This is really sad.
    It would be, if it were true. See above.
    @Matt_of_Geek

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Please note that example was used as ... well, an example. We haven't been happy with the direction and level of discussion for a time now, across all manner of levels.

Well than mod!

If the people in control were not happy with something, do something about it. Don't erase how many years of history because of the ineptitude of your moderators.

BANNED

That is like nuking a country because of a certain group of 100 people out of 1000000.

If you guys want to run a forum of this size, figure it out.

Are you going to restart it again next month when the newest issue comes up?

I'm a mod on two decently active forums, and the whole "we did x thing over y but it was also because of z" arguments are used when the mods know that their actual justification for x is horribly weak. It was because of that one thread with the lady that ultimately everything and everyone got erased.
    Last edited by megaharrison; 04-30-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Member Since Jun 2009 thecrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by powertripinmod View Post
    Well than mod!

If the people in control were not happy with something, do something about it. Don't erase how many years of history because of the ineptitude of your moderators.
    Sometimes you need to tear something down to build something new.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    What you have said is absolutely true.
    If someone wishes to post a thought out negative critique of some work ... well, go for it. If you don't like a comic book issue and can express that in an articulate and civil manner, go for your life.
    If someone wishes to make personal comments about comic book creators (or other Community members), that's when they will be removed from the Community.
    I would hope that you mean all negative personal comments about comic book creators? haha cause I am friends with a few of them, and from time to time when I talk to them I like to post about how cool they are.

Example: I talk to Chris the writer of Ghost all the time, when he gives me a bit of info I may share I share it in the black Sky thread and say "he is really a friendly guy" stuff like that.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!