Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PlumeNoir View Post
    So, everyone got blown out?
    I was a little worried when my account was gone, because I think I may have posted in the thread in question (if it's the one I presume) - even though I know I wasn't negative. I thought maybe that it was just a group ban of everyone in that thread...but it looks like they just nuked and paved the forums. :-/
    I'm glad you posted. I now know I was not the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    That idiot Barry Allen ran too fast again!
    Hah! Great post!

I'm actually happy with the decision to change the culture. I had been around for 5+ years and in my short time I noticed a trend of growing negativity. I have zero doubt that this will be for the better.

I saw someone post a concern about people who disagree with others being banned. I have to imagine that as long as it is constructive and done in a way that is respectful no one has anything to worry about. I welcome opposite view points in a discussion but I don't welcome anyone being treated without respect.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by jsf View Post
    The whole idea that the complete forums need to be erased because they were tainted with bigotry is invalidated by the fact that we can still link through to the old discussions. So the bigotry that's the alleged problem is still there.
    You can link through to the old discussions, but they aren't a part of the new forums. They can't be seen unless someone explicitly links to them, which is unlikely to occur much. It also creates a clear and deliberate separation between the old forums and new forums. All of this combines to reduce the visibility of past inappropriate behavior.

This was a heavy handed move that punished everyone for the actions of a few. So, what -- a warning was sent to everyone that a certain type of debate won't be tolerated? For those of us not involved in the debate we don't need a warning. For those who do, just ban them and move on.
    Bans by themselves don't work, period. Disguised bans or bans with wait periods or a currency system might have an effect, but those are significant changes as well, and they focus on disincentives. You can't just ban a bunch of people and expect the tenor of a significant segment of a community to change.

All this action did was antagonize the fans who weren't a part of the problem. It makes me less likely to participate here, now, because some set of jerks may cross a line but everyone else takes it on the chin. I don't like being treated paternalistically when I've not done anything wrong.
    True, sometimes you're going to be punished for the behaviors of others in the community when things get out of control. It sucks, but its part of being a member of a community. And honestly, you didn't lose that much. Post counts, the ability to reply to the threads that were active at the cutover, and ... what else? That's about it, and it's not much.

BANNED

I have a question regarding the new rules...

If I criticize Aaron's writing or Bachalo's art... Will I get banned?

Of course I wouldn't insult them, because I don't even know them, but if I say their work is bad in my opinion, is that wrong or it's ok?

Quote Originally Posted by powertripinmod View Post
    So they ban how many users and how many years of history for one thread? This is really sad.

This has been an gross overuse of power. There is no way that it should have happened. The offending users could have easily been banned.

This used to be a forum for free speech and empowerment.
    Well than mod!

If the people in control were not happy with something, do something about it. Don't erase how many years of history because of the ineptitude of your moderators.
    That is such a bs response to anything. Why? Why was it torn down? How did the tear down fix or benefit anything?

Pretty much. This is what happens. No real reason. Just a bunch of jibberish.

Go read Stephen King's Roadwork if you want to see how it feels.
    So what horrible, pointless reboot do you people associate this with?

I have to say the new 52.

Something so utterly pointless, that destroyed many years of history, as well as alienating many fans.

The New52CBR
    What happened may be unfortunate and depressing, but I don't think the moderators are the one who made the final decision here (though I could be wrong).

If you're really as unhappy as you sound in your various posts, there may be other forums that would suit your tastes better. Right now, I don't think being cranky will undo what has been done.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonamelt View Post

Of course I wouldn't insult them, because I don't even know them, but if I say their work is bad in my opinion, is that wrong or it's ok?
    The rules you said you read in order to sign up again tell you that criticism of the work is fine.

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    It was to do away with undesirables and usher in a new police state;

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=52513

First post!
    I can't believe people, it 's always a few idiots that ruin it for people.

Member in Disguise

This is a good question, one I'd like to see addressed by management; If we can say "I like artist x's stuff", can we also say "I don't like artist y's stuff"?
    ...Expecting the Spanish Inquisition.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by zhris View Post
    This is a good question, one I'd like to see addressed by management; If we can say "I like artist x's stuff", can we also say "I don't like artist y's stuff"?
    They already addressed it in the Rules & Guidelines.

"Criticism of the work is welcome, insults to the creator of the work are not."

Member in Disguise

Quote Originally Posted by blabbate View Post
    They already addressed it in the Rules & Guidelines.

"Criticism of the work is welcome, insults to the creator of the work are not."
    That's going to be a slippery slope for a while. I can easily imagine people saying "I don't like Alex Ross" when they clearly mean Mr. Ross' artwork, and not a dislike of the person himself. That verbiage happens all the time (I myself say I don't like Blake Shelton, when I'm actually referring to his music; he seems like a great guy on The Voice, I'm just not a big country music fan). I sincerely hope the mods will use context clues and common sense before unleashing the banhammer.
    ...Expecting the Spanish Inquisition.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by zhris View Post
    That's going to be a slippery slope for a while. I can easily imagine people saying "I don't like Alex Ross" when they clearly mean Mr. Ross' artwork, and not a dislike of the person himself. That verbiage happens all the time (I myself say I don't like Blake Shelton, when I'm actually referring to his music; he seems like a great guy on The Voice, I'm just not a big country music fan). I sincerely hope the mods will use context clues and common sense before unleashing the banhammer.
    It's up to the poster in question to clearly enunciate what they're saying rather than just hoping expecting the mod to figure out what's being alluded to. If I say I dislike someone that's what I mean and I wouldn't expect anyone to interpret what I was saying in any other manner.

Man, that was really confusing . . . unable to sign in, and then when I tried to have CBR resend me my password in case I screwed that up, I got a message saying they didn't recognize my email address?

(I even went and got the address off of email CBR sent me in the past!)

Anyway, since it feels like the Great Disaster struck here, and society has to be rebuilt from scratch, I thought it would be appropriate to have a new avatar . . . one of the original Atomic Knights.

It would depend on how civil you are. You can certainly critic the art or writing of a creator, but name calling along with said valid criticism will net you a ban.

This isn't just an internal move, Jonah wants to send a message, both to those outside of CBR as well as within, that on our forums this is the line and this kind of behavior will not escape our notice or thrive. He wants it to be a more inclusive and welcoming place, and he'd like to drop kick the nasty element outta here. If we'd just taken a machete to the old place he wouldn't have wanted people thinking "It's just the old place with a lot of machete cuts". The reboot sends the message that the past is the past, we're moving forward this way with a forum rebirth and a new set of rules and standards. If you're on board that's great, and if you can't handle it you're out. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

So anyone who thinks the reboot is an overreaction you're welcome to that opinion, but that's not how we see it. It's about more than a deplorable experience that's tainted the place, it's about a disease that's been widespread on the internet for far too long and trying to do something about it. Is this the cure? Who knows, only time will tell. But it's an uphill battle that's worth it if we can get to the top.

Plus, all my stuff is up there, so I kinda have to do it.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    This isn't just an internal move, Jonah wants to send a message, both to those outside of CBR as well as within, that on our forums this is the line and this kind of behavior will not escape our notice or thrive. He wants it to be a more inclusive and welcoming place, and he'd like to drop kick the nasty element outta here. If we'd just taken a machete to the old place he wouldn't have wanted people thinking "It's just the old place with a lot of machete cuts". The reboot sends the message that the past is the past, we're moving forward this way with a forum rebirth and a new set of rules and standards. If you're on board that's great, and if you can't handle it you're out. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

So anyone who thinks the reboot is an overreaction you're welcome to that opinion, but that's not how we see it. It's about more than a deplorable experience that's tainted the place, it's about a disease that's been widespread on the internet for far too long and trying to do something about it. Is this the cure? Who knows, only time will tell. But it's an uphill battle that's worth it if we can get to the top.

Plus, all my stuff is up there, so I kinda have to do it.
    Thanks for the clarification. Despite some unpleasantness I always saw CBR as one of the brighter discussion sites on the internet so I would personally would call it an overreaction. I just hope it doesn't impact the community too badly though it's inevitable it will have some sort of impact. I don't really agree with the reasoning or the methods behind the 'reboot' and the increased rate of bans that has been threatened might drive off more than the unwelcome element you speak of. To delete everything, rather having a big song and dance over changes to moderation seems somewhat bizarre. Not only that, the fact there was no warning makes it seem even worse. My 2 cent.