Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Incredible Member Jonah Weiland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by powertripinmod View Post
    That is like nuking a country because of a certain group of 100 people out of 1000000.
    That is an offensive comparison -- one is the annihilation of human beings, one is not.

These kind of ridiculous histrionics is what will get people banned. Act maturely, have constructive reactions, discuss your concerns, but this is unacceptable.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by E.Nigma View Post
    What happened may be unfortunate and depressing, but I don't think the moderators are the one who made the final decision here (though I could be wrong).

If you're really as unhappy as you sound in your various posts, there may be other forums that would suit your tastes better. Right now, I don't think being cranky will undo what has been done.
    Being cranky? That's a banning.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post

It's about more than a deplorable experience that's tainted the place, it's about a disease that's been widespread on the internet for far too long and trying to do something about it. Is this the cure? Who knows, only time will tell. But it's an uphill battle that's worth it if we can get to the top.

Sorry, but this is exactly the sort of rationalization I don't buy.

If you guys can't distinguish a genuine problem from a bunch of geeks being snarky with one another, then you should just shut down the boards altogether. But to hold EVERYONE accountable for what a handful of people were doing is simply bad moderating. I've never seen this happen before, and find it so incredibly Orwellian in scope and tone that it's unbelievable.

What next? You've already got someone on this thread using hyperbole to describe what happened, while someone else claims it's offensive. You going to lock this thread down now? Because that's apparently the easy peasy lemon squeezy way to deal with the "disease" that is the internet.

I'm offended that I've been automatically lumped into a group of people who unconscionably threatened another human being. Guilt by association -- just for being a member of a message board community. It's ridiculous and shows, not that the CBR boards were diseased, but that the moderators apparently can't do their jobs with prudence and good judgment. And if a moderator is offended by that, well I'm offended by being forced to prove that I'm a good poster simply because OTHER posters weren't.

I, and others like me, abided by the rules. And we still got slapped down. It wasn't right.

Quote Originally Posted by jsf View Post
    I, and others like me, abided by the rules. And we still got slapped down. It wasn't right.
    If you followed the rules, you weren't the problem. If by "slapped down" you mean inconvenienced by having to re-register, I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for you.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

BANNED

You know, I had a response typed up that was going to explain why it's not the re-registering that's the issue here.

But nah, I'm done. You guys already deleted the "Sincere No Thanks" thread, which says everything about the new norm of moderating for CBR. There were no threats or personal concerns at issue there. Just people rightly venting about what's happened. And it got deleted. Unbelievable.

So yeah, I'm done. It was fun while it lasted. You guys really stepped into a niche that opened up when Newsarama's forums withered up. But apparently that era's come to an end (at least for me).

If you followed the rules, you weren't the problem. If by "slapped down" you mean inconvenienced by having to re-register, I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for you.
    While I wouldn't say "slapped down", the new layout being something that makes discussing specific thing more difficult that the old board(let alone wiping discussions that were not the problem) does feel like a punishment that most of the old posters did not deserve.

The board's call to make, but I don't know that telling folks how to feel about it will build the new community they seem to want.

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post
    Being cranky? That's a banning.
    What an age to be alive.

tumblr_lt71unZI7f1qhi1se.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Weiland View Post
    That is an offensive comparison -- one is the annihilation of human beings, one is not.

These kind of ridiculous histrionics is what will get people banned. Act maturely, have constructive reactions, discuss your concerns, but this is unacceptable.
    No, this is a metaphor.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

As the person who started this thread I am saying that I am done, they did what they thought was best, now let all move on. You guys can lock this thread if you want. My question was answered, which is why I started this thread. No reason to keep it open. Unless you guys want to lol.

I for one am still happy there is a place to do to talk about comics, the DC forums shut down, marvel forums and dark horse forums lack people. Lets just be happy we have this place still.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fan of Bronze View Post
    No, this is a metaphor.
    Precisely. Or a silly bit of hyperbole at worst.

That's precisely the problem with these new rules. Addressing genuinely deplorable behaviour is one thing - as that Teen Titans thread seemed to be - but this sort of hypersensitive reaction to a mere figure of speech is exactly what's wrong with the new approach to these forums. There's a difference between civility and seriously neutered freedom of speech where seemingly no effort is made whatsoever to consider the context or tone of a given comment.

They're trying to create a "welcoming" community but how welcome is anyone going to feel if they are constantly treated like a four year old child? Honestly, how "welcoming" really is an environment where you could be instantly and permanently banned for making use of metaphors or slightly off-colour jokes or, heaven forbid, going on what is basically a harmless rant about this silly little hobby of ours?

Be harsh on genuine personal abuse and general hate speech by all means but, please, try and be intelligent about it.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    It's up to the poster in question to clearly enunciate what they're saying rather than just hoping expecting the mod to figure out what's being alluded to. If I say I dislike someone that's what I mean and I wouldn't expect anyone to interpret what I was saying in any other manner.
    Bollocks. We're talking about what is a very widely used idiomatic expression. No one expects the mods to go over each post with a comb but is it really too much to ask for the employment of basic common sense?
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Come on. You know that's not what he means!

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    . . . I for one am still happy there is a place to do to talk about comics, the DC forums shut down, marvel forums and dark horse forums lack people. Lets just be happy we have this place still.
    It may seem strange to have things the way they are now, but I agree . . . it's still a place people can choose to come to and discuss comics without being forced to endure Facelessbook.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    It may seem strange to have things the way they are now, but I agree . . . it's still a place people can choose to come to and discuss comics without being forced to endure Facelessbook.
    Thank you for agreeing. I have a facebook, but its really not a fun place to talk about comics. This place is much better.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Bollocks. We're talking about what is a very widely used idiomatic expression. No one expects the mods to go over each post with a comb but is it really too much to ask for the employment of basic common sense?
    I have to agree that interpreting a simple statement along the lines of, "I don't care for creator X" as a personal attack, when clearly this is a message board where very few if any of the posters are likely to actually know creator X apart from their work, would seem kind of bizarre.