Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 95
  1. #76
    Writer of Jack The Hunted Power Torch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    I have to agree that interpreting a simple statement along the lines of, "I don't care for creator X" as a personal attack, when clearly this is a message board where very few if any of the posters are likely to actually know creator X apart from their work, would seem kind of bizarre.
    I don't think the way you are stating it, as in "I don't care for.....", the mods would not take that as a personal attack. Cause you could most likely say "I don't care for blank writer, because his writing does not ring true to the character for this reason and that reason". That is a discussing something. I just don't think they want "This writer sucks cause he is black and he smells bad" (Not talking about anymore, just a lame example lol).

    But idk, I am not a mod, but I would believe discussions like that would be ok. As long as it was not a attack. But maybe I am wrong.

    Pulls:
    Lion Forge: Summit, All CPU Titles. DC: Justice League Dark. Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Marvel: Ms. Marvel, Champions. Valiant: Shadowman. Dynamite: Vampirella, Sacred Six, Vampirella: Dark Powers.
    Support Catalyst Prime! A brand new, amazing & creative superhero universe from Lion Forge!

  2. #77
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    If you followed the rules, you weren't the problem. If by "slapped down" you mean inconvenienced by having to re-register, I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for you.
    WORD! This is what CBR chose. And at the end of the day, it's an Internet forum. This wasn't a place where you wrote history-changing theses or worked on a cure for cancer. Wiping that information out would have been bad. This is restarting a message board on one site of the Internet. I could understand some inconvenience but I can't honestly understand someone attaching themselves so tightly to a relatively small Internet social platform and taking this so hardly. I'd have to assume it was all about perceived status in the form of special titles, signatures and post counts. At the end of the day, those stats mean nothing about who you are as a contributor.

  3. #78
    Retired Admin (1998-2020) Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 1997
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    I don't think the way you are stating it, as in "I don't care for.....", the mods would not take that as a personal attack. Cause you could most likely say "I don't care for blank writer, because his writing does not ring true to the character for this reason and that reason". That is a discussing something. I just don't think they want "This writer sucks cause he is black and he smells bad" (Not talking about anymore, just a lame example lol).

    But idk, I am not a mod, but I would believe discussions like that would be ok. As long as it was not a attack. But maybe I am wrong.
    You're not wrong. In fact, you are pretty much spot on.
    Nice explanation.

  4. #79
    Writer of Jack The Hunted Power Torch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    You're not wrong. In fact, you are pretty much spot on.
    Nice explanation.
    Thanks! I don't think that is a crazy rule at all! Its now life should be outside of the forums too. Just trying to think like you guys ;P.

    Pulls:
    Lion Forge: Summit, All CPU Titles. DC: Justice League Dark. Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Marvel: Ms. Marvel, Champions. Valiant: Shadowman. Dynamite: Vampirella, Sacred Six, Vampirella: Dark Powers.
    Support Catalyst Prime! A brand new, amazing & creative superhero universe from Lion Forge!

  5. #80
    Incredible Member ShaggyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In Moderator land
    Posts
    673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Bollocks. We're talking about what is a very widely used idiomatic expression. No one expects the mods to go over each post with a comb but is it really too much to ask for the employment of basic common sense?
    No one is saying you will get banned for saying "I dont like Alex Ross". Clearly if thats said in a discussion about whether one likes Ross's work, im not going to ban you for it.... We may delete it, we may not... Id encourage you to put more detail in your discussion than that. I mean really how does one reply to that. The point is to discuss things not bump your post count.

    What we are saying is that if you go with "I dont like Alex Ross, hes a no talent hack", thats where you get the ban. Youve gone from an expression that may mean the person or the work, to a personal attack.

    Its simple, if you wouldnt say it in person.... you dont say it here. And for those of you that would say something like that in person, you should use a bit more time in making your post here.

  6. #81
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    19,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    No one is saying you will get banned for saying "I dont like Alex Ross". Clearly if thats said in a discussion about whether one likes Ross's work, im not going to ban you for it.... We may delete it, we may not... Id encourage you to put more detail in your discussion than that. I mean really how does one reply to that. The point is to discuss things not bump your post count.

    What we are saying is that if you go with "I dont like Alex Ross, hes a no talent hack", thats where you get the ban. Youve gone from an expression that may mean the person or the work, to a personal attack.

    Its simple, if you wouldnt say it in person.... you dont say it here. And for those of you that would say something like that in person, you should use a bit more time in making your post here.
    But "a no-talent hack" seems pretty mild and more like an opinion than an insult. Is CBR going to get that strict?

  7. #82
    Incredible Member ShaggyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In Moderator land
    Posts
    673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But "a no-talent hack" seems pretty mild and more like an opinion than an insult. Is CBR going to get that strict?
    Weve banned people for that one on the old cbr, so I dont really follow the shock.

  8. #83
    Wonder Moderator Gaelforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But "a no-talent hack" seems pretty mild and more like an opinion than an insult. Is CBR going to get that strict?
    I know if someone called me a no-talent hack, I would sure feel insulted.

    Simple rule of thumb - think about how you would feel if someone said it to your face.

    Better yet, discuss the work and not the person who created it and that makes things a whole lot easier.
    Gaelforce
    Superman/Wonder Woman/TV Film Forum Moderator
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

  9. #84
    BANNED Hamdinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    That idiot Barry Allen ran too fast again!
    I dunno, I personally think it was that Superman guy who flew around the earth to turn back time so all those neck snapping threads would vanish.

  10. #85
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    899

    Default

    While it does seem very extreme to 'burn down the house for a few termites' it is his playground and his rules. I wasn't aware of this last straw on the camel's back and a little surprised of such hate for a simple critique but the internet and its anonymity sort of encourages bad behavior without much in the way of repercussions.

    While it's simple to say just ban the user or delete the thread I'm sure it's probably time consuming and was most likely just not worth the effort for something that doesn't bring in much profit or reward. I won't really mind starting over again since anything I've done on this board would go down in the history books.

  11. #86
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    234

    Default

    That was a pretty scary thing that happened. I can imagine the owners and operators of this site to be pretty freaked out that their forums participated in that little piece of ugliness. I am sure the classics and hardcover threads will continue to be the wonderful resources they have been for some time. I wish you guys a lot of luck in trying to keep a good level of decorum.

    Shaggy, I hope these new rules extend to creators who participate on these boards as well.
    trying to be nicer

  12. #87
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    106

    Default

    I do think it sometimes isn't a bad thing to do a reset on an internet forum and what was described as happening was pretty horrible.

    I do feel sorry for some of the guys on the classic forum that do review threads as they put a lot of work into them and they are well constructed with a lot of knowledge.

    CBR really should search a couple of those guys out and let them do a classic comics blog, as that's really what they were doing and let it link back to the forum for discussion.

  13. #88
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    19,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I know if someone called me a no-talent hack, I would sure feel insulted.

    Simple rule of thumb - think about how you would feel if someone said it to your face.

    Better yet, discuss the work and not the person who created it and that makes things a whole lot easier.
    Can we say we feel somebody is a hack if we back up out reasons for feeling that way? Otherwise you might as well start banning people for mentioning certain writers and artists at all.

  14. #89
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    333

    Default

    What happens when a writer takes to social media to lambast people who are critical of something he wrote? Is that up for discussion?

  15. #90
    Incredible Member Jonah Weiland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    North Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jsf View Post
    I, and others like me, abided by the rules. And we still got slapped down. It wasn't right.
    That's ridiculous -- you have not been slapped down. You're still here.

    We made a decision, you've made it clear you don't like it, time to move on to a new subject. That's true for everyone -- you get to say your peace once, then it's time to join the community or not. Endless complaining will not change things. This is the new CBR Community.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •