Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Isn't Starman DC?
    Yes. But you never specified that you meant Marvel.

In terms of Marvel, I refuse to consider Gambit kissing a woman to be an LGBT kiss. It's not. It was almost certainly not intended that way - it was presumably meant to show that Gambit likes kissing attractive women. Peter Milligan's X-Force had Marvel's first gay kiss, and that's that. Gambit kissing a woman does not count.

Did Courier even want to be kissed by Gambit?

All-New Member

Agreed, and sometimes (as you say) it happens. Between Tony, Clint, Logan, Herc, Gambit, Johnny and a handful of other "ladies man" characters at Marvel, having one come out as gay or bi isn't something that is unheard of in the real world. And one did, Herc!

What the.. what... what?? I just heard this issue. Is it when Hercules paired with Amadeus Cho? Shocking... (for me)

Quote Originally Posted by Flatman View Post
    Did Courier even want to be kissed by Gambit?
    She never showed any interest, though she also didn't seem to particularly mind.

Quote Originally Posted by CyclopsEyes View Post
    What the.. what... what?? I just heard this issue. Is it when Hercules paired with Amadeus Cho? Shocking... (for me)
    It was hinted that he slept with Northstar. After Hercules died, a bunch of people got together to talk about him, and some superheroines stepped forward to talk about having slept with him, and they suggested Northstar might belong there, and then Northstar got embarrassed and left.

It seems utterly ridiculous to me that Hercules still hasn't been written as openly bisexual. Seriously, just show him hitting on guys, show him waking up in bed with guys, actually show that, yes, his is bisexual, as fits the myths about him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Well lets be realistic, I don't think Marvel will change the sexual orientation of a major character that has been defined as heterosexual for 50 years or so. I would be willing to bet money that Marvel would not make say Spider-Man or Iron Man gay, any time soon, if ever. I think you have more wiggle room with more minor characters, Marvel would be more willing to experiment with them in terms sexual identity then with the major characters.
    There is a difference between "will they" and "should they". I agree, Marvel won't ever out a major A-lister. Considering we've yet to have an active LGBT adult Avengers (EVER); even a Z-lister... I can't see them speeding to outing Iron Man any-time soon. But a part of me feels they should one day out an A-lister.... they won't, but they should.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Well yes and no. Some villains are more interesting then heroes, others are not. There are some very underdeveloped villains out there, who seem to have no life or interests outside of robbing banks and trying to kill the hero who prevented him from robbing banks. Making some of those underdeveloped villains gay could give them some much needed character development.
    I generally gravitate to villains more than heroes, for me a story can't be truly great without a great villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Yes. But you never specified that you meant Marvel.
    We're in the Marvel forum and this whole debate stemmed from a list of exclusively Marvel LGBT characters; I didn't think I needed to spell it out.

Quote Originally Posted by CyclopsEyes View Post
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-12-2014 at 01:42 AM.

All-New Member

There is a difference between "will they" and "should they". I agree, Marvel won't ever out a major A-lister. Considering we've yet to have an active LGBT adult Avengers (EVER); even a Z-lister... I can't see them speeding to outing Iron Man any-time soon. But a part of me feels they should one day out an A-lister.... they won't, but they should.

I generally gravitate to villains more than heroes, for me a story can't be truly great without a great villain.

We're in the Marvel forum and this whole debate stemmed from a list of exclusively Marvel LGBT characters; I didn't think I needed to spell it out.

Huahahaha... very subtle... thanks. Few entertaining panel you have there... Wonder if Namor has the same Kinsey scale... But I recall that he was dating a fish in Gillen's uncanny x-men. So anything possible no?

Anyway, Tony has abundance admiration for Steve. It's not a stretch that he'll be the first A-lister out...

You know, I really hate that scene. Not because of the Northstar bit - that was amusing enough - but because the story had a bunch of heroes telling stories about their times with hercules, and the women were reduced to, "Hey, we slept with him!" That was the whole extent of their contribution. It felt condescending and misogynistic. His courage, his loyalty, his love of life? None of those matter to a woman, all that matters is how good he is in bed. What else could possibly matter to them?

Blah.

Alfyse seems like an interesting character though. Suprised we haven't seen more of her

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Yeah but we definitely need more lgbt heroes than villians.

The problem with more gay super villians is I almost always find them more relatable and more sympathetic than the heterosexual guy beating the sh*t out of him
    There are more straight super villains than super heroes.

Sandy Hausler

Well... I can think two or three bisexual villain. But gay villain from Marvel? I cannot think any.

The problem with more gay super villians is I almost always find them more relatable and more sympathetic than the heterosexual guy beating the sh*t out of him
    Well...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kencana View Post
    Well... I can think two or three bisexual villain. But gay villain from Marvel? I cannot think any.
    For gay male, there is Machinesmith and one of the Spymasters. For lesbians there are Man-Killer and Superia (Superia hasn't been explicitly outed, but has certainly been implied). You're right, the rest are mostly bisexuals.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    So I think classing Gambit as bisexual is a stretch, and probably a little bit of wishful thinking.
    It has never been made explicit on-panel, but there have been more hints at it than just the Courier kiss (although that is always the main example people go to). In the DAKEN series, Marjorie Liu had a flirtatious exchange between Gambit and Daken. It didn't go anywhere, but the possibility was hinted at. In the ASTONISHING X-MEN ANNUAL, Christos Gage had Gambit lightly flirt with Northstar's husband Kyle, teasing that he could see what Northstar saw in him, or something like that.

On their own, none of these are conclusive. But when you add them up, you've got a pattern of several writers showing Gambit to flirt with men (or, in Courier's case, someone he originally knew as a man). Its not proof he's bisexual...but it does give people reason to suspect he might be.

The biggest indicator for it though would be that when the latest GAMBIT series started James Asmus did a podcast where he said that he does consider Gambit to be bisexual and was writing him that way, even though Marvel probably wouldn't him say it on-panel.

Mighty Member

I can imagine Gambit being like The Todd on "Scrubs," in that he'd tap anything.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Alfyse seems like an interesting character though. Suprised we haven't seen more of her
    She's dead I believe
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God