Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Gay Super Villains

There are quite a few gay super-heroes running around nowadays, but very few gay super-villains... in terms of out characters, I can only think of Man-Killer and Machinesmith. Letha and Lascivious (female villains from The Grapplers), seemed to have a romantic pairing in the Punisher Annual a few years ago, yet recently in Avengers Undercover, they rock-paper-scissored for Chase Stein's attention. Poundcakes also was hinted at being a lesbian in Women of Marvel, yet she came on a bit strong to the Beast in A+X. Other than that, Daken is bisexual, and now apparently Loki is, as well. Who else?

I personally have always thought of Blizzard as gay, as in Nicieza's Thunderbolts run, he seemed to chase Speed Demon around like a lovesick puppy. But Nicieza even remarked that he never intended Blizzard to be such (though he could see why others thought so).

List of GLBT Marvel Super Villains:
    Andreas von Strucker - bisexual
    Daken - bisexual
    Destiny - lesbian/bisexual
    Electro - bisexual
    Lascivious - bisexual(?)
    Letha - bisexual (?)
    Loki - bisexual
    Machinesmith - gay
    Man-Killer - lesbian
    Mindmeld - transgender
    Mystique - bisexual
    Purple Man - bisexual
    Poundcakes - bisexual(?)
    Shinobi Shaw - bisexual
    Skein - bisexual
    Superia - lesbian
    Last edited by Nyssane; 05-04-2014 at 06:15 PM.

Actually most of the high-profile LGBT characters are villains. Daken and Loki are the only LGBT characters to have had solo series at Marvel (the closest after that is Mystique).

Joystick, Machinesmith, Mankiller, Skein, Swordsman and Victoria Hand are the other major LGBT villains I can think of (with Electro being a "maybe"). And HELLS YES I too always saw Blizzard as gay in Fabian's run. I hope he shows up in Superior Foes of Spiderman for this to get confirmed.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-04-2014 at 05:14 PM.

Daken, Loki, Mystique and Electro are all bi.
    On ye olde CBR

According to the Marvel Wikia, the following villains are LGBT:

Superia (though that seems to be hinted at rather than said outright), Mystique, Destiny, Man-Killer, Mindmeld, Rococo (hinted), Yvette Diamonde (some one-off Fantastic Four villain), and Spymaster was in a romantic relationship with another man as part of a long-term infiltration scheme.

Wouldn't it be better to have more established gay heroes before we start having gay villains?

Depraved bisexual is a problematic trope, but it is also my favourite trope.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to have more established gay heroes before we start having gay villains?
    We can have both

Yeah but we definitely need more lgbt heroes than villians.

The problem with more gay super villians is I almost always find them more relatable and more sympathetic than the heterosexual guy beating the sh*t out of him

Quote Originally Posted by Daken View Post
    Depraved bisexual is a problematic trope, but it is also my favourite trope.
    Same here! I wish it wasn't my favorite trope, but I really enjoy it.

Isn't being gay and lesbian the same thing? One cannot be a lesbian and not be gay.
    Add ANY Greek/Roman/Norse God to the list as being B in the LGBTTTQQIAA list...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Yeah but we definitely need more lgbt heroes than villians.

The problem with more gay super villians is I almost always find them more relatable and more sympathetic than the heterosexual guy beating the sh*t out of him
    Well let's face it, being gay doesn't make a character morally inferior or superior then anyone else, you can have a sympathetic gay villain or you can have a truly nasty villain who just happens to be gay. Jeffery Dahmer targeted gay men, because he had sexual desires towards them and because he had the type of anti social psychopathic personality that makes a serial killer, I can't imagine anyone, gay or straight, having a problem with him getting punched out.

Besides Blizzard, are their any villains who you think could be gay. I wonder if Trapster is gay, he seems to have no interest in the opposite sex and seems to spend all his time hanging out and trying to please the Wizard.

I think Blizzard is perhaps the best candidate. Even in his guest appearance on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., his big motivation for going through his plan that episode was his male friend/ possible crush, and when that friend died, he was super devasted and that seemed to push him towards the dark side. However, the creators probably meant it as more of a best/ only friend type situation.

In regards to other potential gay villains, it's hard to think of any major ones because it seems characters are often quickly and offhandly established as hetero, even when they have no reason to mention it. So what you're left with is very minor characters like the Nasty Boys from X-Factor; I could totally see Ruckus, Gorgeous George, or Ramrod (yikes) coming out.

BANNED

Is there a reason that a villain's sexuality is important, or even addressed? Unless it's important to the character's motives or the plot, why even touch on it? I'm not
    being disrespectful here, but it seems to me that the only time that should be addressed is when it's important to the overall character's story. Otherwise, it feels forced,
    and that's when people go nuts and all the fighting starts. I know there is an argument that it's okay to present heterosexual relationships in comics and that it
    be the same for homosexual ones, and I agree with that. But the difference is that since in society, the default "normal" relationship is with the opposite sex, we take
    for given that the characters are heterosexual, and really don't even think about it at all. If a creator wants to move away from that, the time to do it would be early in
    the character's creation, preferably in a civilian setting, to establish it as an important part of the character. And from there just treat the character's relationship just
    like any other, except in instances where sexuality is a part of the story. It's certainly a better way that taking an old villain (or hero) whose sexuality has never been
    touched on, and saying "Oh, this guy's gay now", showing a couple of examples of their "gayness", and never talking about it again. That doesn't benefit anybody in the
    long run, and it causes hostility because it's so obvious in its intent. That's all I have to say. If I offended anyone, I didn't mean to, and I'm sorry.

I think you hit the nail on the head, Pat.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    Is there a reason that a villain's sexuality is important, or even addressed? Unless it's important to the character's motives or the plot, why even touch on it? I'm not
    being disrespectful here, but it seems to me that the only time that should be addressed is when it's important to the overall character's story. Otherwise, it feels forced,
    and that's when people go nuts and all the fighting starts. I know there is an argument that it's okay to present heterosexual relationships in comics and that it
    be the same for homosexual ones, and I agree with that. But the difference is that since in society, the default "normal" relationship is with the opposite sex, we take
    for given that the characters are heterosexual, and really don't even think about it at all. If a creator wants to move away from that, the time to do it would be early in
    the character's creation, preferably in a civilian setting, to establish it as an important part of the character. And from there just treat the character's relationship just
    like any other, except in instances where sexuality is a part of the story. It's certainly a better way that taking an old villain (or hero) whose sexuality has never been
    touched on, and saying "Oh, this guy's gay now", showing a couple of examples of their "gayness", and never talking about it again. That doesn't benefit anybody in the
    long run, and it causes hostility because it's so obvious in its intent. That's all I have to say. If I offended anyone, I didn't mean to, and I'm sorry.

I agree, to me, I could care less if Superman were gay, all I care about is if he could kick Darkseid's ass! There is no Gay super hero/villain. These are heroes/villains that happen to be gay.