Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Gay Super Villains

There are quite a few gay super-heroes running around nowadays, but very few gay super-villains... in terms of out characters, I can only think of Man-Killer and Machinesmith. Letha and Lascivious (female villains from The Grapplers), seemed to have a romantic pairing in the Punisher Annual a few years ago, yet recently in Avengers Undercover, they rock-paper-scissored for Chase Stein's attention. Poundcakes also was hinted at being a lesbian in Women of Marvel, yet she came on a bit strong to the Beast in A+X. Other than that, Daken is bisexual, and now apparently Loki is, as well. Who else?

I personally have always thought of Blizzard as gay, as in Nicieza's Thunderbolts run, he seemed to chase Speed Demon around like a lovesick puppy. But Nicieza even remarked that he never intended Blizzard to be such (though he could see why others thought so).

List of GLBT Marvel Super Villains:
    Andreas von Strucker - bisexual
    Daken - bisexual
    Destiny - lesbian/bisexual
    Electro - bisexual
    Lascivious - bisexual(?)
    Letha - bisexual (?)
    Loki - bisexual
    Machinesmith - gay
    Man-Killer - lesbian
    Mindmeld - transgender
    Mystique - bisexual
    Purple Man - bisexual
    Poundcakes - bisexual(?)
    Shinobi Shaw - bisexual
    Skein - bisexual
    Superia - lesbian
    Last edited by Nyssane; 05-04-2014 at 06:15 PM.

Actually most of the high-profile LGBT characters are villains. Daken and Loki are the only LGBT characters to have had solo series at Marvel (the closest after that is Mystique).

Joystick, Machinesmith, Mankiller, Skein, Swordsman and Victoria Hand are the other major LGBT villains I can think of (with Electro being a "maybe"). And HELLS YES I too always saw Blizzard as gay in Fabian's run. I hope he shows up in Superior Foes of Spiderman for this to get confirmed.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-04-2014 at 05:14 PM.

Daken, Loki, Mystique and Electro are all bi.
    On ye olde CBR

According to the Marvel Wikia, the following villains are LGBT:

Superia (though that seems to be hinted at rather than said outright), Mystique, Destiny, Man-Killer, Mindmeld, Rococo (hinted), Yvette Diamonde (some one-off Fantastic Four villain), and Spymaster was in a romantic relationship with another man as part of a long-term infiltration scheme.

Wouldn't it be better to have more established gay heroes before we start having gay villains?

Depraved bisexual is a problematic trope, but it is also my favourite trope.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to have more established gay heroes before we start having gay villains?
    We can have both

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    There are more villains than heroes. So it makes sense to have both.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by RD! View Post
    Also, I may be confused but doesn't the Black Cat say she hasn't had a date - male or female - for a while in The Evil That Men Do (by Kevin Smith though...)
    The MC2 version is bi and they decide to make canon in the 616 verse as well.

I'm clueless at this entire list.. lol.. what?!?

Machinesmith... uh, I thought he had become a robot at some point?

Electro? Uh.... proof? NO!! No proof... uh... just how did you come to this conclusion?

I think the important thing with villains is to establish their personalities, regardless of their romantic interests..

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I'm clueless at this entire list.. lol.. what?!?

Machinesmith... uh, I thought he had become a robot at some point?

Electro? Uh.... proof? NO!! No proof... uh... just how did you come to this conclusion?

I think the important thing with villains is to establish their personalities, regardless of their romantic interests..
    Yes, Machinesmith is a machine himself. But he's still gay. Just as Vision, despite being a machine, is heterosexual. I'm not sure why Machinesmith - who started as a human in the first place - being gay would be so much less believable than various other artificial lifeforms being straight.

Electro's bisexuality came from a comic where he went to a shape-shifting prostitute and asked her to take Spider-Man's form, saying he learned some things about himself in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Well it could make him more interesting, make him seem like a human being, rather then just a stereotypical villain. Look at say Mr. Freeze, they made him more interesting when they gave him a wife, he went from a one dimensional villain to an actual fully fleshed out character. Why do most super villains have to be guys who seem have no life outside of robbing banks and trying to kill the hero, isn't that kinda of boring after 50 years? I would supporting exploring villains in relationships more often in general, be it gay or straight, it makes them seem more like real people and less like cartoonish bad guys. Heck didn't Stan Lee introduce the idea that Marvel character should feel like normal human beings, why should that apply only to the heroes and not the villains?
    On the one hand, yes, I'm all for making villains more interesting. I've always felt Absorbing Man and Titania being a couple made them more interesting characters. So, if someone wanted to write a story that includes Electro in a relationship--swinging either way he chooses--I'd be fine with that. But it wasn't originally presented that way--almost more like a flippant remark--and feels like an extraneous add-on as a result.

My take on Vision and Jim Hammond: both of them (albeit with the help of some retcons, more or less) have been established to be these big-deal ‘synthezoids’, with functional synthetic duplicates of human organs from top to bottom, including (the male) sex organs.

With Machinesmith ‘uploading his brain engrams’ (or however that works) to a (presumed) “pure robot form”, I’d figure he looks like a Ken doll underneath his clothes—not to mention there being no other internal mechanisms that relate to sex.

As for other “straight” robot folk- I think it’s debatable how much if any, of their “romantic” interests have to do with sex vs. simply being programmed to seek a ‘mate’ or assimilating to the notion based on the observation of humans- e.g., Ultron and his “brides” Jocasta and Alchema.

My take on Vision and Jim Hammond: both of them (albeit with the help of some retcons, more or less) have been established to be these big-deal ‘synthezoids’, with functional synthetic duplicates of human organs from top to bottom, including (the male) sex organs.

With Machinesmith ‘uploading his brain engrams’ (or however that works) to a (presumed) “pure robot form”, I’d figure he looks like a Ken doll underneath his clothes—not to mention there being no other internal mechanisms that relate to sex.

As for other “straight” robot folk- I think it’s debatable how much if any, of their “romantic” interests have to do with sex vs. simply being programmed to seek a ‘mate’ or assimilating to the notion based on the observation of humans- e.g., Ultron and his “brides” Jocasta and Alchema.
    He doesn't have to have genitals to be gay. There are gay people who choose to not have sex whatsoever.

Why wouldn't he give himself genitalia? He's a master robotocist in a world with human-like robots. There's no reason he couldn't give himself genitalia. And since he was gay as a human, that orientation would continue in any form he successfully uploads his personality to.